Post your Tropheus Pics Here! - d/l warning!

MoliroMan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been checking out Aaron's pics for a long time. The photos of his Mpulungus are the best Tropheus photos I have ever seen. I used to have one as my desktop. His Mpulungus were wild caught. Unfortunately they were lost to Bloat.

He was saying on Cichlid-Forum a little while ago that he was planning on getting some more. Here's hoping he does and posts up some more amazing photos.

Jamie.

Please welcome the newest member of the Tropheus club....ME!

Enjoy,

Nick.

Thanks Andrea and Jamie, and a big thanks to Dave who sold them to me. They're all doing great and have settled in quite well. I didn't realise how hard it was to photograph them though until I had a shot at it 10 minutes after I brought them home. Gotta go and practice taking pics of them now.

thumbup.gif

Here are some more pics i took this weekend! Sorry about the algae on the tank!

Ilangi

user posted image

Ilangi

user posted image

2 male ilangi fight for dominance!

user posted image

Moliro

user posted image

Moliro

user posted image

Moliro fry - just stripped! shock.gif

user posted image

Ikola

user posted image

Ikola

user posted image

Ikola spawning thumbup.gifclap.gifwub.gif

user posted image

Golden Kazumba Headshot!

user posted image

Golden Kazumba

user posted image

Ikola vs GK!

user posted image

Enjoy!

Dave

I think we have a new robot amongst us....nice shots Dave, they're beautiful! clap.gif

Thanks Jebe, I've been wanting to start a Tropheus tank for quite some time now but never had the room and after seeing all the pics posted on the forum over the past couple of months it sort of made me get my buM into gear and do something about it. Well worth it though, just watching these little piranha like feeders when it's meal time is awesome.

Andrea, I need sandstone! thumb.gif

Awesome shots Dave clap.gif . Your Ilangi are beginning to look truly spectacular. I'm not sure how Aline is going to react to her new duties LOL.gif .

Hey Dave, how do you manage to catch your Moliro mums with all your rock? I guess you have to do a dismantling job, what a pain in the bum that would be angry.gif . Also, on average how many little ones are getting when you strip?

Keep up the good work,

Jamie.

PS I'd be interested to know how you're going acquiring new GKs.

I'd start a new thread but I can't see the point.

They've settled in very nicely - eat like pigs and spend all day trying to kill each other. I love it LOL.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

OK now help me, questions might be Bulu specific, I am not sure:

1. Is it normal for the most aggressive (ie. dominant?) male to remain grey and the rest of the colony go the sexy black and red number? Also, he doesn't seem as eager to eat as the rest of them, instead of food, he chases other fish the whole time.

2. Do only males get the egg-spots? dntknw.gif

raisehand.gif

Jamie...i have decided to strip my females eventhough it is a bummer to remove all the rocks but i have been experimenting with allowing them to spit naturally only having one or two fry remain! My argument for this was that it was a process of natural selection and the survival of the fittest but only a 10% survival rate is not normal! So i have resorted to stripping! Anyway, when the mothers get use to it, once u catch them at the right time, they will spit everything into the tank before u get a chance to strip them!! LOL.gif But some newer mothers are more stubborn and want to hold onto their young which tends to stress them out a bit. But just remember to be gentle and give them a break each time u strip them. In the above picture of fry i had a record 15 moliro fry at 1cm in one female. But i only had 4 in the other mother. I have a feeling that maybe some fry left the 2nd mother and was taken up by the first mother. Don't know if this happens with tropheus? Maybe we should throw this question towards our President?

Aline...would luv to visit your website and maybe contribute when u set it up! Great to see our President already performing all her duties. I am trying my best to gather up converts to the cause!

Ducksta....glad u have discovered the essence of tropheii - eat and dominate!!! Bulu points are the most aggressive i found, that is why i sold mine to Aline!!! LOL.gif I did find my dominant Bulu (King Bulu) did turn grey when it was very excited or trying to scare other males out of its territory. It is quite a natural response. I think it is feeling its territory is under threat so it has adopted its "alarm" or "fight or flight" colours! And yeah, it is hard to be the dominant male since u spend all day chasing other males away from your territory and every other minute impressing the ladies so that leaves less time to eat!! My dom. male tends to be on the leaner side. They are not necessarily the largest male in the colony. As long as it eats now and then, then it doesn't have bloat! Also, all tropheus have egg spots so u can't differentiate sexes that way. U need to vent sex them.

hth

Dave

Thanks for the response Dave, an interesting read. At the moment I'm going to leave the mums to spit in the tank, simply because I really like my rockwork the way it is and it will be a nightmare to get it back. I do realise though that I'll have to dismantle it sooner or later when the time comes to offload some fry.

15 fry in one mouthful woot.gif . Congratulations mate!

Hey Ducksta, those Bulus are beautiful mate thumb.gif . I think you did the right thing and got some Tropheus that were a nice size. My Tropheus are getting to the point of being stunners but it has been quite a wait. I have had the satisfaction though that I have grown them up from 1 and 2 cm, to the point now where they are breeding for me so that has been a positive for me smile.gif . Also I would have had to mortgage my house to get 25 fully grown F1 Mpulungus, and getting these guys meant I met Jim and he has been a bloody legend with all the help he's given me. Now I'm rambling zipit.gif . Enjoy 'em mate!

It's funny how people are going to make a new thread, and then think, "oh, I'll just chuck it in here". Nice one Dave, you've got everyone by the short and curlies.

Pics of The Moops coming up,

Jamie.

Here's some pics of The Moops smile.gif . I love the pic of the little bubs wub.gif . Those little guys are so cute and they're growing like weeds. The 3 newest bubs are going great too. The other fish leave them alone. I'm so stoked I don't have a male that goes on fry seek and destroy missions thumb.gif .

Hope ya like 'em,

Jamie.

PS Who knows, if we all just keep using this thread we could get our own sub-forum. You know what though, this is like a little sub-forum anyway smile.gif .

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Hi John,

They are beautiful wub.gif

My dominant male (King Bulu) doesn't go grey aso much as his spots pale to orange as opposed to red, although he maintains the black, so probably the same phenomenon.

He is definately leaner than the others as he doen't ever rest....so much to do.....

Dave is right, other than vent sexing you can only go on colouration - all my variants have much brighter males when in spawn dress and a very slight difference in the head shape - this has become apparent over a period of time with my groups, unsure if it is accurate at all dntknw.gif

Enjoy them.

Aline

Ducksta....glad u have discovered the essence of tropheii - eat and dominate!!! Bulu points are the most aggressive i found, that is why i sold mine to Aline!!! LOL.gif I did find my dominant Bulu (King Bulu) did turn grey when it was very excited or trying to scare other males out of its territory. It is quite a natural response. I think it is feeling its territory is under threat so it has adopted its "alarm" or "fight or flight" colours! And yeah, it is hard to be the dominant male since u spend all day chasing other males away from your territory and every other minute impressing the ladies so that leaves less time to eat!! My dom. male tends to be on the leaner side. They are not necessarily the largest male in the colony. As long as it eats now and then, then it doesn't have bloat! Also, all tropheus have egg spots so u can't differentiate sexes that way. U need to vent sex them.

hth

Dave

Cool, I assumed the more striking black and red would be the 'on' colour, but it seems maybe that's their standard colour with grey's being their 'fight' colour.

Are you sure the dominant one is male ?

Females can rule a tank aswell ........that can cause havoc down the track !

Tiger, I'd never claim to be 'sure'. I did vent them when I recieved them, and I do believe this is a boy.

Hey Ducksta, those Bulus are beautiful mate  thumb.gif . I think you did the right thing and got some Tropheus that were a nice size. My Tropheus are getting to the point of being stunners but it has been quite a wait. I have had the satisfaction though that I have grown them up from 1 and 2 cm, to the point now where they are breeding for me so that has been a positive for me  smile.gif . Also I would have had to mortgage my house to get 25 fully grown F1 Mpulungus, and getting these guys meant I met Jim and he has been a bloody legend with all the help he's given me. Now I'm rambling  zipit.gif . Enjoy 'em mate!

Yep I think there are benefits to both ways. In a way I am disappointed I missed out on the growing up experience. It is always fun watching a colony mature, and watching behaviour through the ages, from the terrible two's, through adolescence and into becoming a mature and upstanding part of the community. But at the same time there is the instant satisfaction that comes with a tank full of ready-made adults. And hopefully I get some fry eventually that I can watch mature anyway thumb.gif

Great looking fish John and Jamie!

Archived