Post your Tropheus Pics Here! - d/l warning!

MoliroMan

Aline....great to hear from u again! Must be looking forward to setting up all those new tanks! When r u conducting tours at your place? I want to bags first tour!!! thumbup.gif

Hey Dave,

I saw that shot of Wollongong - which meant you were so close and did not come and say hi sad.gif

I will arrange as soon as the Christmas nightmare subsides smile.gif .

Aline

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought I would have the pleasure of being the 300th reply to this thread.

Today I got a bit bored and thought I would play with photo shop a bit. I am no expert and I would hate to think what an expert could do, if I can get a result like this

The before photo

user posted image

the after shot.

user posted image

I am going to double post this in the photo forums and start a before and after thread

They are Aline's Lufubu and they are spectacular fish

Josh

I am sorting some aggession problems at the moment in the nkonde tank, Bloody bad assed males bashing up their girls. Its probably a good time for some photos. The males look stunning angry.gif

Hey hey Dave,

Great shots - love the closeups wub.gif

The KII's still do it for me - the blacker the fish the more intense those contrasts make thumb.gif

Just on an aside - I was buying a phone battery a couple of days ago, when I see the technician laughing whilst looking at my screensaver.

'What am I looking at he says, what a spectacular fish!! I have a tank with some electric yellows and a knife fish can I get one of these??"

"Ah Tropheus" I say - almost in a whisper. "Let me tell you some more".

The upshot is that he is visiting this weekend to see them live and talk about a larger display tank woot.gifLOL.gif

Wonderful news in itself - however also received $30 off my new battery thumbup.gif

Aline

I hope the battery wasnt for the new phone Aline shock.gif

You guessed it Josh LOL.gifLOL.gif Is Woonona built on some old sacred burial ground or site of some meteorite crash ?? woot.gif

I need to sacrifice something or someone to something or someone - and burn lots of incense - yep that's it - time to raid my 18 yo's room!!

Aline

Dave- spectacular photos and Trophs mate thumb.gif . Any luck finding a source to increase that GK colony of yours mate. The shots of that fella are just fantastic. Is he that stunning in real life or have there been some photoshop enhancements bigsmile.gif ? Thanks for the pics mate.

Aline- good to hear you may have targeted another convert smile.gif . Any updates of the new tanks?

Jamie.

Aline

Think back.......unsure.gifblink.gifwoot.gifshock.gif

Do you remember any......

ladders?

Black cats?

Broken mirrors?

Spilt salt?

Vodoo doctors?

There has to be something dntknw.gif

Josh

Thanks Guys!

Aline...those kirizas are so hard to photograph. They never keep still. I have a spectacular male that has a wider yellow bar but he won't let me take a photo of him. This one is a female who stumbled into my path! I was talking to Jim the other day and he mentioned he could get the yellow morph Kiriza from Nigel. I guess there won't be enough contrast in them to attract u! By the way, have u ever noticed any of your kiriza fry having more yellow then others? Maybe one day my kirizas will give me a all yellow fry!!! clap.gif

Jamie..thanks for the compliments. I have fiddled a bit with the contrast and saturation but they are indeed looking very spectacular at the moment. Especially the headshot GK which is looking very orange at the moment. I think she is a female and is starting to show off her colours to 3 males!!! shock.gif I am trying to get 12 wildcaught GKs from Nigel but they are still quarantining in Germany after being shipped from Africa! Hopefully, they will do ok and make there way to my tank. Then i will have many GK fry to sell to anyone who is interested! thumb.gif

Thanks Dave, some nice pieces of info there mate. Wow, Nigel can get the yellow Kirizas shock.gif . I'll have to talk to Jim about other variants he has been discussing. Sorry Dave, I won't be getting any other variants but it is so tempting. I have a feeling that some time down the track I will be thinking about another colony. There are so many great variants to choose from though. I would seriously consider either Chimba or Livua though. Those WC Chimbas that Jolley has are crackers. That's awesome that you have some GKs lined up, and WC too, unreal mate thumb.gif . Here's hoping you have good luck this time, I'm sure they'll be sweet. I can feel a 6x2x2 coming on bigsmile.gif . All this talk about all these different variants is making me very envious sad.gif .

Seeya,

Jamie.

Thanks MoliroMan,

Well i have given the tank a good clean - cleaned out the tank, substrate, filter, sump, new heaters and lighting, and now just cycling the water. This is what i have so far.. thumbup.gif

user posted image

*this is not my final setup just threw a few things together =p

I'm getting more rocks next weekend as it looks to bare at the moment.

I still need buffers for my water, so if anyone can suggest a good place to get the seachem tang buffer confused.gif

I have tried getting Bulu's but they seem to be scarce, and Aline has informed me they are highly aggressive!.

I really like the colours they produce and will give a real good contrast with my tank. I'm still keen on getting those,

but if you guys can suggest another morph that will look similar to the Bulu's, maybe a black and red tropheus?

my substrate is mainly white - grayish/cream.

background will be painted blue

Rocks are grey, dark grey, white.

Cheers,

Rick

Rick....great shots of your new soon to be tropheus tank! Quite impressive for your first attempt! I think u clearly have more than enough rocks at this stage. For a 6 foot tank i would have a maximum of 3 rockpiles or territories. However, i think what u have at the moment is ok.

I think Ducksta got some wildcaught bulu points. He may have some fry soon, so ask him? But i think he will probably keep them to build up the colony. As Aline said, they may be a bit too aggressive, but in a 6 footer and as juveniles they should be ok. Demands on the luck of the draw.

Why not try ikola or kiriza. They are quite impressive looking! I think u can get some red from a good red species tropheus like, moliro, chimba or ndole red!

Keep the pics coming mate! Give us an update as things develop.

As for the Seachem salts/buffers, i think Trans Aquariums in Canley vale is still the cheapest. But ask people in the forum, they may know someone who sells it cheaper. If u found out, let me know because i want some as well!!

By the way, what r u doing for filtration?

Here are a couple of pics of my Golden Kazumbas that i posted before without post processing!

user posted image

user posted image

Hey hey Rick,

Those 10 bulu fry I spoke about will be ready in a couple of months smile.gif - if the deal for the 15 falls through (doubt it though) I will contact you.

As I mentioned in the PM these are the crankiest I have yet to breed dry.gif

They also have the smallest mouthfuls to date and my breeders are quite advanced in age, it will be interesting to watch what happens when they are on their own again in a couple of days -they are currently sharing a home with the Maswa woot.gif

I also have moorii Chipimbi - more a black/magenta - as opposed to red from 2 to 3cms if interested. Have a look at my post earlier in the thread for a pic. I would definately recommend if this is your first attempt at the T's. I usually ship these interstate - so there are not alot of colonies around locally.

Tank looks great. I don't personally follow the seperate territory theory in my tanks - but know plenty who do. I opt for alot of joined rockwork or in recent times none at all (thanks Jim) thumb.gif

Good luck in your venture - great to see you here in this thread.

Cheers

Aline

The filteration in my 6x2x2 is a wet and dry system with bio balls, pump is about 3000L p/h. I also have a cannister filter that does 1800 - 2000L p/h i think.

Should that be enough?

I'm also gonna make my 2 four footers tropheus tanks!, i should be starting on those early next year so i gotta try save some more money and get some new morphs in or get others that are here already?

Cheers

Rick,

Nice setup Rick thumb.gif . I agree with you, I would add lots more rock to get some depth and height to your aquascaping. Dave's comment is correct, you don't need more rock but I know if it were my tank I would be happier with the look if more was added. Whatever suits your taste. Just remember that many people have success with many different variations according to aquascaping and Tropheus. You just need to see what works for your colony. I have two distinct rockpiles. These rockpiles are on the heavy side I guess. Good luck and have fun with it thumb.gif .

Dave- got some buffering goss for ya. I checked the kH of my drum after adding 20 teaspoons of buffer over 2 days. The kH was only 13 shock.gif . This week I'm going to add it over 4 days and see if the Kh is any higher. I have always aimed to have my kH at 15. From recent discussion I might from now on aim at 18 and see if colour and friskiness increase. I'll let you guys know my results of my little experiment.

Still lovin' the chit chat smile.gif ,

Jamie.

Hey Rick,

You would be making a great decision if you were to get Aline's Chipimbis. I have only seen photos but I have always thought to myself that they look absolutely beautiful when Aline posts pics of them. I'll have to get a red variety one day smile.gif .

Jamie.

Jamie...u actually add your buffer over 2 days now? I can't believe your kH is only 13. I am adding 100g or 20tsp of buffer ever 4 days now. I know Jim still adds 6 tsp over 4 days. With 1000L of water changed per week that adds up to a lot of buffer!!!!!

i think i can feel a new colony of tropheus coming mate! I would luv to see livua in Oz!!!

Here are some more pics!

Golden Kazumba males fighting!

user posted image

My Ikola holding when i increased my kH from 11 to 20!!!

user posted image

Enjoy!

Dave

Beautiful shots Dave thumb.gif . I love the one of the two GKs, their colours are just outstanding, and I love how they are both twisting the same way, very cool shot clap.gif . I was surprised at the kH in my drum as well. I'll be interested when I test the kH after adding the buffer gradually. Hopefully it's closer to 18 instead of 13!

Good news too about your Ikola smile.gif .

Jamie.

Archived