Post your Tropheus Pics Here! - d/l warning!

MoliroMan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow Andrea, are the fish with all the blue on them (not the spotty Duboisis) your Iotas? If so, I didn't realise they were so blue. I kinda thought they were more like the redish one floating around in the two lower photos. Whatever they are they are nicley colured fish. smile.gif

Thanks for the update.

though they were mainly cats uuuggghhhh

Aw, whats wrong with the catties Aline? I love mine every bit as much as my baby T's (At the risk of being labelled a heritic). LOL.gif

Glad the see the thread is still kicking laugh.gif, 350+ posts and 7000+ views, pretty cool.

-Mat-

Josh...do u mean i shouldn't drive my Humbie to Aline's place?

Andrea...great shots - r they duboisi maswas? R those juveniles that u have bred?

Aline...not fair..u saw my GKs in the flesh before i did. I guess i did the same to u! Now we are even thumbup.gif . I can't wait to see how big they are! Nigel keeps saying they are big. I hope the big one doesn't annihilate the other trophs in my 5 footer!!!

Ben....amazing Ikolas! How many do u have in that tank? Looks like they are breeding already. Do u find the black species are more difficult to breed and have smaller mouthfuls ie. 5 instead of 10?

Beautiful duboisi shots Andrea thumb.gif .

Is it your flash that brings out their colour so brilliantly or the tank light?

Yes David - one for one now woot.gif and yes they are BIG.

Aline

Thanks guys.

Aline> we put two lights over the tank but I can't remember if those three shots were flash added or not. There were a lot of pics taken and I lost track blush.gif Hopefully the photographer will join in here tongue.gif A lot of the full tank shots were pinkish and since I am hopeless with computer skills, I was unable to save them with editing softeware dntknw.gifblush.gif

Dave> the dubs are from two different sources (yes maswa)...I haven't bred any yet.

Mat> the iotas' colour is very variable. Some days they are purplish, other days orangish....weird.

Andrea smile.gif

Dave> he took about 20+ shots but they are very hard to photograph. We will have another go soon smile.gif Meanwhile, the above pics are fairly representative if a little over accentuated in blue.

Andrea smile.gif

Ben....amazing Ikolas! How many do u have in that tank? Looks like they are breeding already. Do u find the black species are more difficult to breed and have smaller mouthfuls ie. 5 instead of 10?

I have 33 in a 6x2x2. All the adults are F0 and the smaller ones are their fry added back to the colony.

Yes they are breeding already, LOL.gif got to be happy with that. There are two mouthfuls now I think. they are hard to tell still. Once they have been holding for a few days it is easier to pick.

Not sure on the mouthful sizes yet. All the Tropheus I have kept have always had mouthfuls between 8 and 10. Not sure about these monsters. They are huge the wild caught boys, 12cm I would say maybe more.

I took the photos of Andreas photos using a flash, at a speed of 1/200 sec at f9. They're a challenge to photograph, since they dart about, showing very little respect for the wishes of the photographer. dry.gif

I know nothing about these guys, but they do display flashes of colour as their scales catch the light at different angles. I'd like to take more photos of them with more lighting (without flash), or with a secondary slave flash.

I've edited one of the photos to lighten it up to show more detail, though their true colours are navy blue/black, with a hint of purple and red.

user posted image

Cheers, Frank

Yes, tropheus are damn difficult fish to take good photos of! I challenge anyone who can produce crisp photos of their tropheus (except dead ones!!! LOL.gif ). U may get a handful after a few hundred shots. I find the slave flash really helps to show up the colours. U will also need a fast shutter speed, at least 1/200 to not see a blur!

Ben...no wonder those ikolas looks so amazing, they are wildcaughts!!!! Where did u get them from? If u want to sell any females or fry i am interested!!!

Cheers Frank....I did tell you they were a challenge. I think if you can can take excellent pics of Tropheus sp. then anything else would be a snap (although I have a few more challenges for you in the guise of patterned clown loaches....about 50 of them I think...poor Frank LOL.gif )

Andrea smile.gif

Wow, what a adrenaline filled day!!!! Luckily i wasn't putting anyone to sleep today otherwise there would have been a few accidents since i was so not concentrating and hoping the time will come for me to pick up my Wildcaught Golden Kazumbas!!!

The wildcaughts have settled in nicely and with all the rockwork removed there has been very little aggression. The males are rapidly determining their heirarchy amongst the colony and some dominant males are starting to take control and letting the girls know who is the bossman!!! Surprisingly, the ikolas have not shown any aggression towards the newcomers. In fact, they have become a lot less dominant as they are now outnumbered by the GKs.

Here are some pics i took. Not the best but will post more when they settle!

Thanks again to Nigel for the work he put in trying to import these guys for me! Also for putting up with my incessant nagging to get the fish in the first place and checking almost daily when they arrived if they were ok! thumbup.gifthumb.gif

Ps. Those Frontosa Mobas look amazing! Nearly was tempted to give up on my tropheus and start a colony! shock.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Enjoy!

Dave

Dave

I dont think they will be any good mate. Them two boys are kissing hysterical.gif Seriously though mate they are some really nice fish.

Josh

Thanks guys for the compliments!

Jamie....u r always welcome to visit anytime!

Josh...it is funny how the boys never kiss the girls!!! shock.gif

Frank...glad to see another photographer who understands how difficult it is to take good tropheus shots! Us tropheus fanatics really luv the non-stop movements of our fish and would never dream of using ritalin to make them more docile!! bigsmile.gif

Ged...these are my first wildcaught tropheus. I just hope i can keep them healthy and if they do breed it would be a real bonus!!! How's your tropheus tank at the school coming along?

Andrea... i think u should consider getting Nigel to import some WC for u as well if Nigel is willing to ship them to u?

Aline.. when they first entered the tank, their colours just were amazing. I can't truly capture there colours on camera but u will have to come visit again sometime to appreciate what i mean. King Kazumba has not yet exerted its dominance at this stage and there is at the moment peace in the tropheus sense! I don't think i can convince my wife i need to move 6 tanks with me to the gong but if u r willing to babysit them for a year, i would appreciate it! wink2.gif

Dave, I think you may be getting a visiter very soon smile.gif .

Just a little more about buffer and Kh. Each water change I am slowly bringing up the kH on my tank. At the mo the tank is sitting at 16 kH. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not, but I have 4 females holding at the moment. Here's hoping atleast one of them holds to term thumb.gif .

Jamie.

Archived