Post your Tropheus Pics Here! - d/l warning!

MoliroMan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome aboard Todd thumb.gif .

It's pretty cool in here ay. My guys are T. moorii Mpulungu ( I call 'em The Moops). They are F1 and they are about 2 years old. I have juveniles and fry, and have about 4 females holding but I'm not at the stage where I will be selling any fry. I want to build up my colony. I got my colony as 2-3 cm juveniles from Jim, you'll find him in the breeder's register. He has some very nice WC colonies, he sells their fry.

I hope you enjoy it around here. Everyone on the whole forum is great and the people who frequent this thread are mad about Tropheus, especially Dave (MoliroMan), he is a nutcase LOL.gif . You'll meet him soon enough, he's the one who created this thread.

I'm sure the gang around here would love it if you could introduce yourself, your Tropheus and if you could post some pics that would be unreal smile.gif .

Thanks for the kind words too smile.gif .

Once again, welcome,

Jamie.

I think we are all nutcases!!!! woot.gif Maybe it is the price we pay for keeping tropheus. U slowly neglect things like social life, family, eating, sleeping, work etc. shock.gif But it is all worth it when we know our little friends are happy! thumb.gif

Great shots Jamie... we can't get enough shots of those delicious pineapples. I think u are overfeeding them with that NLS stuff, they look so chubby!!! LOL.gif U r underselling your Moops.. I think u should let everyone know that they come from Jim's wildcaughts imported by Nigel as the Kasakalawe - the king of Mpulungus! As i learnt from some even more crazy fanatics on the US forum that Mpulungu is a large area of the lake and the nicest varieties of Mpulungus are collected in an area called Kasakalawe!!! I think u should sell some of your fry mate...there will be many more to come! Stop keeping these beauties to yourself!!! tongue.gif U are making me want to take some more pics of my trophs. Might do so this weekend wink2.gif .

Sycho...try using just plain pool sand. I know a lot of people use it for their tropheus tanks. Otherwise u could use coral sand - i use the 3 and 5mm variety or lime sand - which Jamie uses.

Andrea, yeah maybe I am up there but I only have one tank smile.gif ! I would have more if we had the room though. I am nothing compared to you guys and your multiple colonies sad.gif .

Dave, nah mate, not selling any until I have my magic figure of 40. I am still hovering around 36. I seem to have so many females holding lately but none seem to be spitting any fry. Maybe I need to check my gH, or maybe the little guys are getting gobbled up before I get to see 'em. I have another 4 females holding at the mo. The spawning in my tank is outa control at the mo, there seems to be a new holding female everyday! Can't wait to see more pics of those great Trophs of yours mate thumb.gif .

Thanks again Dave and sycho for the kind words.

Jamie.

smile.gif Hi fellow tropheus fanatics thanks for the warm welcome

Here are some pics of my Red, "moliros".

They are housed in a 6ft 350lt. there are 16 they are about 1year old.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

They all wanted to hide when taking photos

nice moliros Todd.

Just for a scale, how big is the largest fish in the top photo?

Also a Q for all you Moliro keepers regarding the green tinge on the largest fish in the top photo. I still have only 10 (saving da pennies for more) and I notice that a couple of the fish are showing this green tinge while others of the same size and social standing are not. I seem to have got a real mixed bag.

The colours I have are:

1. almost jet black changing to wholly red (dominant),

2. almost jet black with a red stripe on the lower body/penduncle,

3. juvie/subdominant stripes on a black background,

4. juvie/subdominant stripes on a grey background,

5. juvie/subdominant stripes on a greenish/red background (like todds photo 4).

I know some of these variations are due to social heirachy but are they all reasonably normal colour patterns for Moliros? I'd post photos but they never catch the true colours of the fish dry.gif .

-Mat-

Hey Lee, thanks for the pics mate smile.gif . I must say they look very fat and happy. They must be little piggies. They look like they get on great too, no nipped fins or body damage. There are people who say that duboisi are the only Tropheus that can get along great in pairs in captivity as they live in pairs rather than colonies in the wild.

How long have you had these guys and how do they get on with the Fronnies?

Thanks again for posting,

Jamie.

Hi Todd...thanks for sharing those moliro pics!!! The colours are amazing - are they the "super red" variety? They are still showing their juvenile striping - how big are they now? What are u feeding them? Where did u get them from? How many do u have in there?

Matt..i have also experienced all the variations of colours that u have mentioned with regards to your moliros. Since i have been breeding them i have noticed that some juveniles are more red then others and some are just plain grey-green. I don't know whether this is natural or if it is a genetic variation? With my adult colony, most of them have a dark or black body but striking red dorsal and pectoral fins. They sometimes show extreme red in the cheek area. When they are all stressed like during a water change they will go bright red or even pink. I think most moorii varieties do show extreme colour variations. That is why people choose to keep the black sp tropheus like ikola since they have more constant colour displays.

Lee...how big are those duboisi? The white/yellow banding looks a bit unusual otherwise they look great! Do u know for sure they are male/female. Any aggression problems? I keep 3 duboisi in with other tropheus. They seem to get along fine and have shown breeding activity. But i wouldn't keep them on their own in a tank. What do u feed them? Any dietary issues with the fronosas?

Hi Todd...thanks for sharing those moliro pics!!! The colours are amazing - are they the "super red" variety? They are still showing their juvenile striping - how big are they now? What are u feeding them? Where did u get them from? How many do u have in there?

Matt..i have also experienced all the variations of colours that u have mentioned with regards to your moliros. Since i have been breeding them i have noticed that some juveniles are more red then others and some are just plain grey-green. I don't know whether this is natural or if it is a genetic variation? With my adult colony, most of them have a dark or black body but striking red dorsal and pectoral fins. They sometimes show extreme red in the cheek area. When they are all stressed like during a water change they will go bright red or even pink. I think most moorii varieties do show extreme colour variations. That is why people choose to keep the black sp tropheus like ikola since they have more constant colour displays.

Lee...how big are those duboisi? The white/yellow banding looks a bit unusual otherwise they look great! Do u know for sure they are male/female. Any aggression problems? I keep 3 duboisi in with other tropheus. They seem to get along fine and have shown breeding activity. But i wouldn't keep them on their own in a tank. What do u feed them? Any dietary issues with the fronosas?

dont know if there male/female they seem to get along allright my brother gave them to me about 4months ago .there about 6-7cm i feed them brineshrimp everyday when i have it, spirulana flake ,sinking pellets all the good stuff they not allowed to eat no signs of bloat they arent stressed at all .they were eating all this stuff when i got them.not sure about the yellow/whitish band either as it is the first time i have kept these.they seem to be growing at a good rate.I am sure some of you guys wont be to happy to see what i feed them but they seem to be going strong.they are piggies to parrdog.thanks for the input i hope you enjoyed the pics there are awesome pics in this post love it thumbup.gif

Every cowra member on the forum has tropheus except for me. Will have to get some soon LOL.gif

parrdog- that is a awsome pic, by far the best one we toke, Todd toke that one tho so ill give him credit for it.

Hey Dave

Im not sure of the variety the were bought locally about 1year ago. They are between 4cm being the smallest and 7cm the big dominant male.

I feed spirulina only

New years day I received my first fry, just one. And have another larger female holding.

I keep a trio (1m,2f) of duboisi in a 6x2x2 with my 7 magara , and a psycho blue occy (yes he fights with a 15cm magra , over sand, his kahunies are bigger than his brain i think)

The tank gets a good helping of frozen brineshrimp every few days, the dubosis spits it out, and waits eagerly for the flora to be added, now they just pretty much ignore the brineshrimp,,,which i think is a good thing.

so far they are breeeding well, last weeks i removed 7 wrigglers from one and 10 eggs from the other( which hatched today) if i was to let them spit, it would be a very well fed occy, and foai., they are still abouts, 6-8cm

As for the bands, mine never used to show great bands, and no yellow ever, they were in a dark tank. Now they show bands most of the time, still no reall yellow but. there new tank is much brighter..

user posted image

I think the degree of colour variation with in the red tropheus populations is one of their most attractive features. my chipimbi used to be pale browny/red wit stripes like their juvinile colours but could almost be black , with bright red fins, and a little yellowish flash on the caudal peduncle.

user posted image

My Kachese are made colours most of the dominant ones are almost black with very dark red fins, when the lighjt strikes them side on they flash a bright yellow! very nice... also they have the very distinct yellow eye brow stripes nd orangy cheaks, and chests.... wub.gif

user posted image

playing with my camera again this weekend. Couldn't resist!

Golden Kazumba

user posted image

Duboisi Mazwa

user posted image

Kiriza

user posted image

Ikola

user posted image

Ikola Dance

user posted image

Moliro Fight 1

user posted image

Moliro Fight 2

user posted image

Enjoy thumb.gif

Dave

Ps. We want to see more pics of new Tropheus convert tanks!

Thanks Dave for the info. Great pics BTW, that GK is outstanding and that last fighting shot is one for the collection.

-Mat-

Archived