Post your Tropheus Pics Here! - d/l warning!

MoliroMan

Dave...love the goby yawn pic.!

Aline...I noticed the clowns in with the T's. Anything negative about this combo? Do the clowns "whisker" the T's or interfere with breeding? I assume that you are feeding NLS to negate dietry differences. I am short going to have a dilemma as to what to do with quite a number of clowns and this may solve my problem :clap

Andre:)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey hey Andrea,

Our clowns find themselves everywhere these days as the room nears completion!!!!

The cohabitate with the Nkondes well and are thriving on flake and the snails they find :lol2::lol2:. And there have been no barb attacks.

You'll have ta post more pics of it mate :).

Here's a before and after shot of the tank, after having been taken tonight.

IPB Image

(N.B. I have played with this a little to try and match the colours better, didn't do a great job...)

IPB Image

You will notice there is a general green hue to the background and the rocks as they start to "algae up". The pictures don't do it any justice, the background looks much better / realistic in the flesh.

Here are a few more of my Ndole Reds and Duboisi Maswa courtesy of Jim.

Fish are doing extremely well, took a couple of days to get them onto the NLS as they had been fed OSI flakes. Some of the Ndole Reds are already becoming dominant and they go a dark colour. Couple of pics of Barry the BN in there as well. Couldn't get him out of the photo!!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Cheers

Shane

Have you got any tank shots Shane?

How many of each do you have and how large are they - 2.5" or so?

There are 12 of each. The Duboisi are all around 2.5cm long and the Reds vary from 2.5cm to about 5-6cm as they are a little bit older. Will take a couple of tank shots. They are in a 4ft tank (300L) atm until I get a 6x2 at the end of the year.

Nice shots Shane :thumbup: Brave move though changing the diet of the T's over only two days - IMO this is a process that shoud be done sparingly and over time. But hey that's me :lol3: I don't sway from OSI :)

Would like to see a pic of them in a years time when they on their way to becoming big T's.

Nice shots Shane :thumbup: Brave move though changing the diet of the T's over only two days - IMO this is a process that shoud be done sparingly and over time. But hey that's me :lol3: I don't sway from OSI :)

Would like to see a pic of them in a years time when they on their way to becoming big T's.

Well I started out from day one giving them a mix of the flake and NLS grow formula. They wouldn't eat the NLS straight away, maybe didn't recognise it as food. Over the next few days, I used less flake and eventually they started eating the NLS. Now it has been a week and all they get is the NLS. They seem to be doing well so far. Fingers crossed, I know they can be finicky but are eating well.

I am thinking about throwing away the TV because all we do these days is watch the activities in the tank!!

Cheers

Shane

Shane...great pics mate!

I luv the 3rd shot of the Ndole red..... :thumb !

I can't wait until my Ndoles look as good as Jim's!

U don't have anything to worry about changing to NLS....they will do very well on the stuff and u find u don't need to feed as much, also there will be less mess than the flake food.

Also at the sizes u mentioned i think u can safely upgrade to the 1mm pellets, that way they can see the food a lot better! :thumb

Aline..come on give the NLS a go....i believe it is a lot safer than the other food you have been trialling!!! ;)

Hey shane nice pics mate and Dave im another person thats not real keen to go to NLS i like my sera flora and sera granu green to much tried NlS super fry grow but i didnt like it but thats my opion though.

Cheers shane

i have used Sera Flora in the past but find it has a lot of animal proteins in it and also i had too many incidence of bloat with Sera Granu pellets to be coincidental! Maybe the reason your Ts got sick was due to feeding them this stuff mate?

I strongly recommend NLS and i have never turned back after seeing the results!

What were the reasons you didn't like it?

Ps..i guess we should not make this thread another NLS debate so feel free to pm your reasons?

Jon I think you've done a fabulous job of matching up the rockwork! :clap

Thanks Andrea :)

Dave, I've tried my T's (about the same size as Shane's) on the 1mm pellats and though the larger ones seem to gobble them up they will "burp" up 7-8 pellats like they haven't actually been able to get them down. The smallers ones grab a pellat and then spit it back out, they do this a few times until they seem to get it down.

Do you crush or soak it for smaller fish that aren't quite big enough? Also, how do you find the C. leptosoma go with them?

Because of the above, I'm currently feeding NLS Grow in small quantities and a few pinches of OSI Spirulina flake. They also love to pick on the algae wafers I drop in for the suckers.

Aline..come on give the NLS a go....i believe it is a lot safer than the other food you have been trialling!!! ;)

I do feed NLS to my piscavores :) I have trialled it on one lot of adult T's and was not impressed with the outcome. It made them sluggish and I decided it was not worth rocking the boat. 'the other food' artemia has been used for years on fry and I have had excellent results on the trial tanks - I stop feeding this at 4cm.

BTW it was not NLS that provoked my comment but any change in diet undertaken quickly - especially with T's courts heartache.

Hi Jon,

maybe your Ts are still not big enough but also they may not be use to the stuff yet. I don't crush my pellets at all, it would likely cause a lot more mess in the tank. Also it is not recommended to presoak them in water before feeding either since it will lose all the vitamins contained in the food.

i find even my 1.5cm fry can pick up a 1mm pellet and slowly bite off bits from it. There is no harm in that since it is essentially the same as them eating a wafer.

the other thought when they spit out the pellets is they may be being overfed. Remember that they don't need much of the pellets to fill their stomachs compared to flakes.

Just keep feeding them Grow if you are more comfortable with it.

I only have 3 c. leptosomas with my GK colony and they get on well with the Ts. The Ts ignore them unless the dominant male lepto starts to pick on the dom male GK. But there is never any physical contact. Only thing is they have not bred yet and i believe it is because i don't have enough of them and someone told me that my high rocks makes the male lose sight of the female and therefore fails to breed with it.

Aline....NLS causing Ts to go sluggish does not sound scientific at all.....i think there is something else going on there. How long were u feeding them for? And were u using only NLS or some other food?

I guess whatever u are happy with using for your Ts is up to u but i have tried all types of foods with my Ts (more than u will ever dare try yourself) and i must say i am very impressed with the results.

Hey fellow T and P fanatics....i stumbled across this German fish importer site and they have an amazing array of available tropheus and petros (I wish we could get some of these...hint hint Andrea ;) )

Have a look:

pics

I wish we had someone who could import from them!!

Thanks Andrea for the heads up....

$140 per wildcaught GK is twice what i paid for mine...is this guy making a nice little profit for himself?

$10000 for the petro submission that is not guaranteed to pass seems a little over the top. Maybe we can get 100 people to chip in at $100 each? Any takers? Also from what i can understand is that u can't lodge a submission for the entire petro species but only each variant so Aqis stands to make a lot of money out of it!

Aline....NLS causing Ts to go sluggish does not sound scientific at all.....i think there is something else going on there. How long were u feeding them for? And were u using only NLS or some other food?

Dave, didn't realise that you were after scientific rationale. I was also unaware that you had done food trials and that was reason you were so adamant :) I saw the changes after commencing the food and the behaviour stopped after I ceased the food - all other parameters remained the same and that is as technical as I need to remove a factor <_<

The minimal losses I have encountered over 10 years of keeping T's may count for something to some. This is why I do not enter into debates these days - as I have faith in what I do measured by outcomes. I have lost approx 20 fish in total in that time - including 14 of them to one case of bloat the rest to aggression. They are constantly breeding and I know all of my 300 T's well :lol3:

If you would like a pure study I am very happy to accomodate as long as you provide the guinea pigs.

in case u haven't been following the many posts about NLS on the forum i have been using NLS exclusively in all my T tanks with all of them receiving the exact same water conditions and they are all doing very well indeed. They have been on the stuff for 18months now without even a hint of bloat. So i am very happy with using the stuff. Again u have not told me the specifics of your so called "food trial" - how much were u feeding, were u only feeding NLS or were u also using spirulina and how long did this trial go on for?

Your statements are already quite definite that u truly believe NLS causes sluggishness with your Ts. Since you are quite influential in the fish and let alone tropheus community i think what u say has major implications on what we should feed our fish.

If u believe NLS causes sluggishness, do u mean your Ts were getting bloat? Then by merely stopping feeding them they recovered miraculously without any treatment? If it causes sluggishness in your Ts wouldn't u expect it to do the same thing with your piscavores?

Dave - my comments are exactly that - mine. It is an opinion and that alone. I do not consider myself influential but am honoured that you do :) I have not followed the NLS topics closely as the need to change diet has not been paramount with our regime.

I chose to commence feeding it on a group of Ilangi that were housed with Calvus and clowns (to try and meet all feeding requirements of that tank)- I fed a small amount every 2-3 days increasing to every 1-2 days by month end. I noticed a change - no it was not bloat -but it was not a change I consider positive. On ceasing the food their behaviour became what I consider normal for an active species. Was it the NLS?? who knows but the risk was not worth it. The fish during this time improved colouration but that was all.

I have my personal food favourites, those that have worked for a long time for me and my fish. I do not advocate that people not use NLS for their T's just that I don't. I know you have had great results and others also and I wish you long term success with it.

Maybe one day I will have the time to run a valid trial - same tank size, number, size and age of t's for the control. Right now it is my opinion you will receive and that alone :thumbup:

We also need to take this out of the Photography forum :thumb

Archived