Post your Tropheus Pics Here! - d/l warning!

MoliroMan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All...as this appears to be the "Un-offical Tropheus Forum" I guess it is the place to bare ones soul and admit to being overcome by the "Force" and moving over to the "Dark Side".... Yes, after reading through this "thread" and visiting with MoliroMan I have been severly "infected" by the Tropheus Bug and have placed an order for 20 juvenile Ilangi from Jim.... will be receiving these at the end of August and have been updating and enlarging the filtering on the 5ftr for that purpose...have also been reading all threads, drooling over the pics here and generally trying to soothe the "ich" whilst also stilling that small voice of "danger, theres trouble ahead."... your combined experience and help will be greatly apreciated over the coming months and years ahead, I assure you... Cheers... while I go scratch...Peter

Thanks guys!!!

The 2nd fish is ilangi!

And yes Kilroy, u do know your tropheus....that is a lufubu and already colouring up. I understand Aline (chipimbi) has more of these ;) !!!!

Peter...sorry for seriously infecting u with the T bug!!!!....it is agonizingly painful to wait for your ilangi to arrive....all i can do is satisfy your addiction with some pics!!!

And don't forget your 1st love!!! ;)

Heh,

all I can say is the girlfriend and I have done extensive research into which T we wanted to keep and although we wanted the Moliro, we couldn't get any juvies. We narrowed them down to:-

Ilangi, Golden Kazumba, Chipimbi, Lufubu and Ndole Red.

The winner was 'Ndole Red'. Jim has some young 'uns that will be ready in about 3 weeks. Can't wait!!

G'day Dave,

Love the pic of that juvie Lufubu, he looks unreal :) .

I'll have a bit of a go.

1. 4x2x2 with Lufubu, Ndole and Mpulungu.

2. 4 foot bow with Ilangi.

3. 5 foot acrylic with Golden Kazumba.

4. GK adult.

5. GK juvies.

6, 7, 8. More Gk juvies.

9. Ilangi adult.

10. Lufubu juvie.

11. Ilangi juvies.

12. Lufubu juvie.

13. Ilangi juvies.

Howd I go mate :) .

By the way, how are the little Moopies going?

Cheers for the pics,

Jamie.

Peter, welcome aboard mate, we will be worried if you don't ask questions so fire away :) .

Hey kilroy,

Don't forget to post some pics of the little fellas when ya get 'em :).

Jamie.

No worries!!

One quick question...

I use NLS Cichlid Formula with my Malawi's (1mm pellets). Is there a special formula for the juvies?

I have read about a 'grow formula' on the forums...

Cheers

Shane

Kilroy....great to see u are doing research instead of rushing in and buying your fish :thumb ! U won't be disappointed with Jim's fish, especially the Ndoles....actually one of the pic is of a pair of ndole juveniles.

I have been using grow formula for my juveniles as well but once they are 3cm or above they will readily take the 1mm pellets!!

Jamie...no fair..u have seen all my tanks and know all my fish!!! :lol3: Anyway, your guesses were close but u missed the ndole reds..but i must admit it is hard to tell them apart as juveniles!!! :thumb Also i only have the lufubu and the ndoles in the 4 by 2. Your moops are in a 3 footer and doing well...i will try to get a pic of them next weekend!!!

Yep, we did do some research. No sense in rushing in and ending up with some nasty ones that are going to bash the hell out of each other til we've got none left!

I did notice in my travels this one here which has really caught my eye.

IPB Image

Red Chaitika

Anyone got one?? I'd love to see some more pics. Oh, pic courtesy of Ad Konings of course.

Parallel....i have not kept ilangi with ndole reds before but i can't be sure they will not hybridize. Anyone out there has any experience with this? I have temporarily kept lufubu with ndole red but i understand one is of the rainbow or kasabae variety and the other is a red species so could technically be ok. Hopefully when they are at breeding age i will have another tank to house one of them.

Tyson...awesome pic - really captures it in action!!! And stop saying this is a sub-forum...it might get the mods/admin people angry :shock: and lock this thread.

Kilroy...that pic of the chaitika was the one that caught my eye as well and i really wanted to get them. However, many people have told me their colouration is quite variable and only the alpha male displays colours. I have seen some amazing pics of chaitika on another forum (africancichlidforum). I am sure someone in another state has some chaitika.

They will be fine together. It is safe to say that there will be no attempts at crossbreeding.

Just a reminder though that unless the tank is a biggy, one variant will probably dominate over the other. The dominated colony will not breed as well and won't show their true colours so to speak.

They could be fine though.

It is up to you and they are compatible but most like single colony tanks, I'm one of them.

Ask around and then make a decision. I know how difficult it is to settle on only one variant :).

Jamie.

No worries, as juvies, they will only be going into a 4 footer, looking to get a 6 footer by the end of the year.

So I am thinking a dozen of each or 15-20 of the Ndole Reds. Would probably prefer option A, but am flexible.

In a 6 footer you could fit 20 of each, would look tops :).

I have 38 adults in a 470 litre 5 footer.

If you want both variants and you're getting a 6 footer, I'd say go for it.

Jamie.

PS If you're getting some dubs, Jim's stock is the best I have seen, they are magnificent to say the least.

hi all,nice pic of your moop jamie and the dubosi is a nice pic as well.ok i've got a question i currently have 16 ilangi and i want to get another 16 do you think the troph's will be happier in a 4x2x2 or a standard 6foot oh yeah and i'll put some pics up of these troph's when i get the chance.

thanks lee

kilroy...i agree with Jamie and Mick.....2 variants in a 6 footer will be swell!!!! It would be one interesting tank to watch for hours. Remember to post some pics when u get them :thumb !

I have seen Aline (chipimbi) Bulu points kept with her Duboisi kigomas and there is no aggression between them. Maybe Aline would like to elaborate on this? What i was told was their was an extreme aggression issue when the bulu points were on their own but placing them with the duboisi solved the problem.

Lee....32 ilangi will be fine in a 4 by 2. But if u can get a standard 6 foot or even better 6 by 2 they will be even happier. U have to remember, once they are starting to breed the longer tank will allow more areas for dominant males to breed in without interference and the longer tank will allow subdominant fish room to escape aggression. Also u will inevitably have fry u wan to add to the colony and that 32 could easily increase to 60!!

We would luv to see some pics of your setup! ;)

hth

Dave

Archived