Post your Tropheus Pics Here! - d/l warning!

MoliroMan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is my ilangi - u will notice there is a lot of shadowing on this shot in the tail region - this is what happens when u are working with fast moving fish and higher f stops and slower shutter speeds.

IPB Image

This one is for Jamie (parrdog) - those little buggers are growing marvellously and showing a lot of colour especially in the dorsal fins - they almost look like red rainbows. They are so difficult to photograph, that is why i only have a few shots of them...they get nervous when they see me coming with this big camera!

IPB Image

Enjoy!

Dave

and that Ilangi is just beautiful :thumb .

Agreed!

Dave, do you play with your pics a little in Photoshop before posting? My wife is in graphic design and I've been thinking about getting her to have a play, but I kind of feel like it's cheating :dntknw:

I managed to get a few more of mine in tonight, I think the camera is living by the tank at the moment!

Since Friday (my last update) "Boss" Ilangi has started to "turn off" his juvenile striping more often than not while I've been watching. He's starting to show his dominance, settle a bit of the tank to call his own and chase off other when they get too close, it doesn't help that he decided to take the feeding end of the tank so most of the group are constantly hovering around. He's doing a lot of dancing around too.

Close-up:

IPB Image

Dancing:

IPB Image

And finally one of the others still showing juvenile stripes:

IPB Image

great shots mate!

it is very common for Ts to retain their stripes sometime even until adulthood. Some of my adult ilangi still show stripes depending on mood - esp. when they are frightened.

i find the subdominants tend to retain stripes longer and females especially but that is not a good way to sex them. If u really like stripes maybe u should think of a colony of brichardi, they retain their stripes in adulthood. Problem is getting your hands on them.

i don't actually use photoshop per se to post process my RAW digital pics but i actually use the programs that came free with the camera. I am still working out how to use photoshop. I think people have th wrong belief that post processing is actually cheating. All the pros who use dSLR do post-processing....it is like sending your film to the processor ....guess what they do with the photos - post process them but u are never aware they do so. U will be surprised with a little tweaking of your light levels, contrast and sharpness how much nicer your photos can turn out. Anyway, the final product is only as good as the original RAW photo!

A little suggestion is get your wife to tweak one of your favourite shots with photoshop and post both of them up and let us see if there is any difference! That way u get your wife involved with your tropheus obsession and she may suggest you get another tank of Ts ;) !

Ps....i heard u want to get some frontosa....how about another colony of Ts!!!

I have noticed that often when watching the tank from a distance they have their strips off and when I approach the tank the stripes come back out. I prefer the without stripes so I'm happy that they are (slowly) starting to display without them. More of them seem to be doing under the "moonlight", it's great to watch them under this light as they seem a lot more relaxed.

I will get Sarah to take a look, if she will. Unfortunately I don't think there is anything that will get her into my fish unless I fill a tank with Discus and Neons and other "pretty" fish.

Yeah, frontosa are next on my list, I would love another colony of T's but another tank with the same fish (as seen by Sarah) wouldn't go down. Besides, frontosa are one of those fish that I've always looked at longingly at the LFS and now I've got the space to get a real tank for them I'm going to take the leap - hopefully!

P.S. I will try to get her to have a play with some of the recent pics and post them up.

I couldnt let the thread die just short of 1000 posts so I thought I should stick up a photo of my brand spanking new troph setup (8x2x2, 13 moliros and 10 bembas).

IPB Image

-Mat- :)

here is an update which shows the fish slightly better

IPB Image

After weeks of waiting, finally picked up a dozen Ndole Reds and a dozen Duboisi Maswa's from Jim. Fish are in perfect condition, some much larger than others. Apologies in advance for the photo's, need a new digital camera.

IPB Image

Glad to join the T club at last.

Cheers

Shane

I also purchased some ndole red's and am trying to get some dubosi off Jim as well. Once you buy one colony you just want more :wub mine are doing well, growing pretty fast :thumbup: Wont be long till i get the 6x2x2 going and they can move into that.

Those that know me understand my technical challenges :B

But I think I am getting better :) . One out of 70 shots is not bad.

My Nkonde :wub

IPB Image

Now for the other 11 variants :lol3::lol3:

You're doing a fine job there Dave!

I had a quick play with working on some pics just now, so without firther ado...

Start with the original, straight from the camera with only a crop performed:

IPB Image

Then we will try manually setting the brightness and contrast (baby steps):

IPB Image

Then try the Photoshop "Auto Levels" function:

IPB Image

And finally the Photoshop "Auto Contrast function:

IPB Image

It's a start, I think the worked photos definately add something more than straight from the camera. I will try to convince the professional to have a go tomorrow and post her efforts!

Cheers

Jon

A few more from this camera challenged Tropheus girl - some of my breeding tanks

My beloved Chipimbi - this colony has now turned 7 yo and is at it's best :)

IPB Image

A small selection of my Kaiser II's

IPB Image

A few more KII's

IPB Image

A very poor shot but a few Ilangi who were not too spooked by the flash - these are by far the most skittish variant I own

IPB Image

Nkonde yellow

IPB Image

and more

IPB Image

My Maswas :wub

IPB Image

and this last with a wish that it was more in focus :B

IPB Image

Hope you like

haven't posted some pics for a while!

Enjoy!

my pal Ilangi with "please feed me" - look!

IPB Image

GK juvenile already showing who is boss

IPB Image

GKs doing the dirty dance

IPB Image

GK female holding

IPB Image

Lufubu with amazing colours

IPB Image

IPB Image

Eretmodus cyanostictus zambia male

IPB Image

Same guy yawning!

IPB Image

Dave

Great pics Dave and Aline :thumb .

Really enjoyed the look.

Jamie.

PS All these threads on rock backgrounds is inspiring me. I recently got a quote from Wayne to install a sump and a Universal Rock background. I plan to put aside the money I get from the Moopies and get my tank the way I want it.

PS All these threads on rock backgrounds is inspiring me. I recently got a quote from Wayne to install a sump and a Universal Rock background. I plan to put aside the money I get from the Moopies and get my tank the way I want it.

Go for it Jamie, they really do look great.

Mine is getting a nice algae cover on it now, the bristlenose is spending more time on it and the T's are starting to pick it (the algae) off. It looks more realistic by the week.

hey Jamie,

is this sump and background for your current moop tank or a new tank?

will u be temporarily placing the moops in your old tank?

do u need to move your tank to Wayne to get him to install the sump or does he go to your place to do it?

what size sump are u getting?

I guess even though the weir and background will reduce your tank water volume, the sump should make up for the total volume.

If u go ahead, make sure u post some pics! :thumb And i will need to come visit you when it is all done! ;)

Dave

G'day Dave,

The sump and back will be for the current tank, I won't be doing it for a while yet but I am definitely doing it. Yeah, the Moops will go in the standard 5 footer. The tank will be taken to the shop. I'm not sure what size yet, will have to work it out with Wayne. I won't be getting a weir and the background I'm getting won't have much width so I won't lose much volume at all. Yes, I will post pics and yes, you'll have ta check it out when it's done :) .

Jamie.

Hey Jon,

You'll have ta post more pics of it mate :).

Jamie.

Archived