Post your Tropheus Pics Here! - d/l warning!

MoliroMan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys. Havent posted in here as often as i should now i am a tropheus nut! :lol3:

Thought id chuck some more pics here, they are pretty dodgy pics tho

The ndole are all settled in very well and havent had one loss, not as hard as i first thought it would be to keep these bad boys.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Poor quality but are well, one day i will invest in a good camera, and learn to use it!!

I can't speak for other hobbyist's experiences or mistakes, but mine are doing extremely well on NLS exclusively! This pic was taken a few days ago, my F1 ilangi is very active. Dave, I think we can get our WC Tropheus soon :thumbup::thumbup:

IPB Image

Cheers,

Waruna :)

I think the positive side to all the debate to Tropheus keeping is that there isn't a single secret formula to keeping these beauties. Feed them a good quality food, keep their water nice with low Nitrates through regular water changes and they will reward you with years of fun. I think everyone knows my formula for water changes and feeding so I won't go into it. The great thing for me is hearing different regimes from different people who are all having success.

Please note that I am in no way saying that you can be lax with these guys, just that they aren't the devil fish for aquariums that was once thought.

I know that I can be confident giving advice to newbies about the way I do things, others can tell them the way they do things, and then they can make up their own mind.

I think that's pretty cool :) .

Jamie.

Just to slant away slightly from the 'is it good or not' tangent, Dave I know the ndole reds would be able to handle the 1mm pellets just fine, but the Duboisi are significantly smaller, and I think they would struggle a bit. They are both now feeding like piglets and don't have to be told twice that the NLS is in fact food :thumb

Please note that I am in no way saying that you can be lax with these guys, just that they aren't the devil fish for aquariums that was once thought.

Jamie.

Jamie - the diplomat :hug::hug:

It is through forums and clubs and contact with other aquarists that we become more informed and hence better adept at keeping some of the more 'difficult' varieties of cichlid. I am over the moon that my beloved species has taken a turn in the popularity stakes yet again - it peaks and troughs like most things each five years or so, and that they are not being killed off in droves anymore <_< . Funny though with all the interest of the last couple of years that there is still only a handful of us breeding consistently any viable numbers of T's. When this changes, this will be my benchmark that things are headed in the right direction where soundness in their husbandry is concerned :thumbup: .

Cheers

Glad you gave the d/l warning, damn dialup. Here's some return fire:

(note: I hate flash photography & high ISO, but make do)

Kaiser 2 Male (Synodontis in the background):

IPB Image

Kaiser 2 Female (with eggtube down):

IPB Image

Kaiser 2 Female (same as above, the next morning):

IPB Image

Kaiser 2 Male (slightly beaten up):

IPB Image

Kaiser 2 Fry (not long out of the mouth):

IPB Image

Ok, sorry for boring you with the kaisers... something different now...

Moliro Red (fright colours, looking like a chipimbi):

IPB Image

Moliro Red Juvenile:

IPB Image

The moliro look awesome with red all over when they aren't being scared by someone waving a camera and flashing light around. Definately the most violent tropheus i've kept. They have a different body shape to the Kaisers, more similar to Red Rainbows... which are up there in the violence stakes.

That is why Jamie is a school teacher....i am sure all his students all get along together even though they are of different opinions.....just like us hobbyists.....i guess we take our hobby too seriously sometimes!!! :lol3:

TJB.....welcome to the T photo thread.....was wondering when u would finally find this thread and post some of your awesome T pics.....glad to meet a fellow tropheus fanatic/nut!!!!

What camera do u use?

My moliros were my favourite tropheus for years until i regretfully sold them! I didn't think they were as aggressive as my kirizas, ikolas and bulu points though.

Do u mind me asking where you get your Ts from?

Please post some more pics!

Tim....great little Ts those ndoles.....imagine how they will like when fully grown. Remember to remain ever vigilant with your maintenance regimes since any mistake will be costly ;) .

Kilroy....i think the key with NLS is to pick the correct size to match the fish and never overfeed or risk them becoming "sluggish"!! :shock:

Waruna.....at last, those wildcaught brichardis are on the way!!!!! :thumbup:

Dave

Waruna.....at last, those wildcaught brichardis are on the way!!!!!

Mate, I'm going to have to get another tank or get rid of one of my colonies :):angry:

Few more Pics.

Moliro,

IPB Image

ilangi

IPB Image

IPB Image

Cheers,

Waruna :)

TJB.....welcome to the T photo thread.....was wondering when u would finally find this thread and post some of your awesome T pics.....glad to meet a fellow tropheus fanatic/nut!!!!

Howdy! I was avoiding it due to my dialup restrictions... but the thread snowballed so I took the plunge :)

What camera do u use?

A Canon EOS 30D with 17-85mm IS lens. Using the flash on the camera :( Saving for more lenses and a decent flash, after which you'll see some decent photos. I'm sure I can get to the quality you see in books. Hopefully i'll have the lens and flash I want before my trip to Sydney, where hopefully i'll be able to photograph some high quality tropheus there. The lens and flash will cost more than the camera body itself... yeeehaaaw.

My moliros were my favourite tropheus for years until i regretfully sold them! I didn't think they were as aggressive as my kirizas, ikolas and bulu points though.

Keeping tropheus seems to be the same as most other species - whatever works for you! I've found with our kiriza's at least, once there's around 30-40 babies in with the parents they stop breeding. As soon as you take the babies out they'll breed up to 30-40 again and stop. I've watched this 4 times now, on my 5th. Most other people say they can have 40 adult fish in a 4 footer and they keep on breeding and breeding and breeding - while this may happen for them it doesn't for me. This is why I take what anyone says with a grain of salt, and get as many different opinions and read as many articles as I can and apply it to how I see my fish progressing. One thing that makes me more of a lurker in forums than an active participant is other people with elitist attitudes saying "you can't" "you're wrong" etc - Maybe they don't intend it that way but there's a few that it really comes across strong from. I don't mind someone telling me how they do things, as I tell people how I do things, but I try not to give the impression that my way is the only right way. Anyone can see from reading these forums that each person does things their own way, and most have some good success.

Do u mind me asking where you get your Ts from?

All of my tropheus colones were bought going halves with my mate, who's just as interested in them as I am. Most of them so far have come from Beenleigh Aquarium, an aquarium I trust, and they hand pick their fish from Bayfish. The kaisers are german F1, moliros are german F1, bulu points are wild caught. The red rainbows are F2, The chipimbi's are german F1, and both came from another enthusiast.

Please post some more pics!

I hope to get some more pics of the bulu points later on this afternoon - my mate has those at his house.

looks like a duboisi!

Sure is

Lovely shot mate, looks like you're picking up the camera a bit more nowdays :)

Yeah - I go through fits and bursts on the fish photography. I dont have many fish anymore. :cryblow: For other photography I have the camera in my hand every couple of days. I love it.

TJB....i tend to agree that a lot of people have differing opinions for keeping all types of fish, let alone tropheus. That is why we welcome u into this little T thread we have going here to hear about your experiences!!! :thumb It is obvious that u have kept successfully a number of different T species and we really respect any information u have to share with us to make our T keeping a lot more successful. Our aim here is to allow more people to come to share in the joys of keeping Ts and to breakdown the so called myths and barriers that are still rampant in this community that restrict Tropheus keeping only for the experienced.

I have also noticed that when i first got my wildcaught Golden Kazumbas (7 WC and 4 F1) that i had at one time 8 females holding and now that i have about 30 fish in the tank there is only 2 females holding at any one time. Maybe your theory is correct that the colony does not want to produce more fry to cause overcrowding? Anyone else have the same experiences?

Jamie...i think the tropheus variant that is lacking downunder is the brichardi and it is Waruna and my hope that we can get some imported here soon to fix this problem! :thumb Only trouble is not many importers get brichardis.

WW....excellent pic of the classic pokadot duboisi juvenile!!!! Nearly every T owner i have talked to was initially attracted to this variant before the T bug got into full swing! I think u need to get yourself some more Ts! ;)

Waruna...your pics are already exceeding mine by miles and i think i know the reason.....30D!!! :thumbup:( ofcourse it has a lot to do with your natural inborn talents as well!!). Pity my wife doesn't think i need another camera body! :cryblow: Maybe one day i will get me a 5D!!! :thumbup:(in my dreams!)

Thanks Jamie :)

Hey Dave, thanks for the compliment mate; you’ve got some great pics!! Hopefully we can get our fish soon :thumbup:

Here's a few I took tonight.

Moliro

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Cheers,

Waruna

I have been inspired by Waruna to post more pics!!

GKs fighting after a major water change

IPB Image

Ilangi - funny colours thanks to photoshop

IPB Image

Ilangi male puffing out its cheeks saying " i could hold eggs if i had to, but i won't!"

IPB Image

Ndole red juvenile - very hard to get good pics of these fast little buggers!

IPB Image

Lufubu juvenile still has his stripes

IPB Image

Lufubu (i think male) showing off its dorsal fin!

IPB Image

Remnant Kiriza looks almost golden

IPB Image

Thanks for looking! :thumb

Dave

Top pics Dave, I really like the Lufubu's, but couldn't get my girlfriend to sway that way, she wanted Moliro's or Ndole Reds. Eventually want to get few different variants going, but 5x2's and 6x2's take up a lot of room!!

yahooo Finally... thanks to Jim...yesterday picked up 25 beautiful lil Ilangi ...so here is a pic of the tank and a shot of the fish... sorry about the quality...hoping to borrow a better camera tomorrow and will get some more:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Cheers.... Peter

Archived