New Tank Journal

Bruce

Nice work with that extra pier Bruce!

What kind of footing did you have to use below the ground where we cannot see?

Also, did you have to jack the bearer up a bit to get the ant cap in place? I'm assuming the bearer sits down tightly on top and I can't work out how it would all go together if that's the case.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice work with that extra pier Bruce!

What kind of footing did you have to use below the ground where we cannot see?

Also, did you have to jack the bearer up a bit to get the ant cap in place? I'm assuming the bearer sits down tightly on top and I can't work out how it would all go together if that's the case.

Thanks BaZ, the footing is a concrete slab about 15cm deep, I just made a simple wooden frame and filled with concrete and left it for a day or two. Everything was premeasured to fit properly and I had about 5mm space which was pretty good so I held the top brick up and put mortar in there so it's it sitting nice and firm up against the beam.

Bruce i like your sump. Who made it? (pm me if its not a sponsor)

Does it have lids? I cant see any rails for them. Evaporation may be an issue...

Thanks huzzy, the sump and tank was from Aquariums@Asquith :thumbup: I was very happy the quality of both tank and sump. Tank has 12mm sides, 15mm base, 10mm bracing and even had glass rods in all tank corners....built like a brick.

No lids for the sump. Evaporation could be an issue but sump topup isn't really!

Looks good Bruce :clap What have you got planned to do for the w'end? The sump and fittings?

Thanks SchmucK, won't do much this weekend. Maybe just give everything a good clean. Still waiting on bulkheads and pumps etc. I'm going to do a plain water fill before I get the background on so I can see whats going on with all the filters.

Update:

Got some filter media tonight, I will post some pictures later if the camera still has batteries left.

Bruce

Looking great Bruce....!

Just a quick question on the sump though, are those lower baffles just a bit high? from the pic it looks as if your working water level will only be about 6 inches from the top? if pumps stop and you have backfill from 2 weirs you might be in for a bit of flooding....!

Thanks Dreamwater...the baffles are even higher than this I think. However the pump chamber will be half empty and the weirs will have dursos on them and even if I don't go with dursos the weirs shouldn't be full anyway with 40mm holes.

Will get the pics for you guys now!

Edit: Now photobucket is down!

Bruce

Pictures!

Japanese Filter Matting

IPB Image

Seachem matrix- 2L of pond, 6L of normal

IPB Image

Wool

IPB Image

Sump Media Setup- will need to change. Any suggestions ( I think the last chamber with the matrix is good!)

IPB Image

Drilled the holes for the bulkheads the other day.

Before Drilling

IPB Image

After Drilling

IPB Image

IPB Image

Light installed and turned on

IPB Image

Movie!!

IPB Image

Bruce

Not sure if you still want to hear about this but after 15+ years of working with steel and being a qualified welder by trade I would not be putting water anywhere near that tank while its on that stand, As Jenny says it might not happen overnight but it will happen ;)

IPB Image

This is the stand I built for my 8x2.5x2.5

Top brace 50x50x3

Legs 50x50x3

Bottom brace 40x40x2.5

You will also notice I have put in the diagonal braces (no real difference in price not too)

Finished

IPB Image

When taking on a project like this always remember to look for the quality and overkill not the cheapest option.

Hate to say it but now is the time to change anything as once you fill the sucker with water its very hard to go back.

Toufic...I mean D6C1 :p I hit the power switch on the wall.

The matrix was about $15 for 500mL.

Bruce

Bruce, Do you have a clip showing those of us that are a little slower how to turn the light off? :dntknw:

Things are looking great!!

Ben

Archived