New Tank Journal

Bruce

Nice! only way it could look better is if you had the backgrounds installed in such as way that elliminated the squared off edges - but ignore me being picky, I'm just jealous :B

very nice :8

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats looking heaps rad! Did you get a good deal on that background, from what I've seen they aren't cheap.

Yeah - I dig it... so much so, it might work in my tank :) Can I ask what it set you back bruce? Feel free to pm if you're feeling shy :p

Very nice effort!

Thanks for the replies encouragement guys!

I would prefer not to talk about money in regards to the tank. Give Universal Rocks a call and they would be happy to give you a quote. All their quotes are RRP.

Bruce

I'm sure that silicone gravel will blend in better once it's all been in the tank for a while

Hi Bruce,

I take it those bags of sand are the ones you are going to use as substrate. I added it to my 3 x 6x2x2s and pulled it all out two days later. It could be just me but I really didn’t like it. There were a few things I didn’t like about it. First being the colour. Was way to dark for my liking. Secondly was its too fine and packs its self down to firmly and the sand sifters didn’t sift it and the foai wouldn’t touch it either. I changed it to beach sand, real stuff, and was really impressed with it. :thumbup:

Just trying to save you some time effort and disappointment here. Give it a really good wash and add it to a small 2 footer or even to a section in your sump or something like that and make sure your happy with it before washing all that sand and adding it to your tank. Who knows you may love it, but if you hate it then an hour testing first could save you a day. :wub

Oh and washed sand my foot.... I washed it 6 times before adding it to the tanks and it still took 24hrs before the water cleared.

Thanks Ben, is this the same one you found to be really red? I think maybe each batch of sand may be different. I have used this sand in my previous 4 tanks and love it!

All of my sifters spend the whole day digging and sifting through it. The shellies love moving it around as well.

Yeah, it's still pretty dirty. I don't think it's washed to aquarium standards....more to sand pit standards maybe?

Bruce

No, not the red one but if you like it and you fish like it then its all good.

You right it is sandpit standards, mind you I would still be washing it before I let my kids play in it. Only have to watch House too know that. :lol5:

Thanks, hopefully will have some pictures up later tonight.

A quick question....I siliconed the background in last Friday. Do you think it is safe to add water yet? The vinegar smell is gone.

Bruce

Thanks, hopefully will have some pictures up later tonight.

A quick question....I siliconed the background in last Friday. Do you think it is safe to add water yet? The vinegar smell is gone.

Bruce

Definatley. The background is not structural and hence the full 7 days is not required.

Unless there are some super think globs of silicon that will still be wet. (even though the outside of the silicon glob will be dry and prevent water from getting to the not yet cured stuff).

Bruce,

With the silicon and I assume you used aquarium safe silicon, there are instructions on the back of the tube. I think it sets in 48 hrs, but actual harding time is much more. Think it is longer than 5 days. I would follow instructions, even though it may not be structural you wouldn't want it coming lose when a few months down the track when full of water and fish, or even having an impact on your water. I think you've put too much effort in to cut coners at this late stage.

Grant

Bruce,

With the silicon and I assume you used aquarium safe silicon, there are instructions on the back of the tube. I think it sets in 48 hrs, but actual harding time is much more. Think it is longer than 5 days. I would follow instructions, even though it may not be structural you wouldn't want it coming lose when a few months down the track when full of water and fish, or even having an impact on your water. I think you've put too much effort in to cut coners at this late stage.

Grant

I didn't see this post in time :wallbash: All should still be fine :thumb

Time for some more pictures, did the aquascaping....

Egg crate down

IPB Image

Rocks on eggcrate- note this was not the final rock layout

IPB Image

Left hand side of tank- rock pile

IPB Image

Middle of tank- smaller rock pile

IPB Image

Right hand side of tank- one rock!

IPB Image

Before Filling

IPB Image

Full!

IPB Image

Water Current

IPB Image

Sand- note the use of various gravel grades to give a more natural uneven look

IPB Image

Bruce

Nice choice of rock Bruce!If i were you i would add more rocks.

If you add sandsifters wouldn't you start seeing the light diffusers and would make your tank an unatural look.

Just a thought.

Thanks Jim. I thought about adding more rock but the foai and the sifters need a lot of sand space. Particularly the foai who will eventually have bowers with 2ft diameters.

The eggcrate is really only under the rocks and the sifters only sift through the fine top layer of the sand.

Bruce

Archived