New Tank Journal

Bruce

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1...The stand is made of angle not tube

2...It's not the strenght of the verticals that is in question...it's the 1200mm span of 50x50x3 angle

well......the stand was designed by a structual engineer,,,,,,ime sure we cant all be wrong

get a piece of 50 x 50 x 3 mm square tube mate,,,900 long,,,,stand it straight up,,,,and see just how much wieght it takes to even get a dent in it,,,,,ulle find its alot more than 450 kilos

Its angle, not tube.

We all wish it was tube, hence the last 60 odd posts bashing poor bruce's stand.

Hell, if his stand can stand (no pun intended) up to this this sort verbal abuse then 2000kg of water will be nothing.

Hurry up and fill it bruce...... Hurry!

get a piece of 50 x 50 x 3 mm square tube mate,,,900 long,,,,stand it straight up,,,,and see just how much wieght it takes to even get a dent in it,,,,,ulle find its alot more than 450 kilos

Its angle, not tube.

We all wish it was tube, hence the last 60 odd posts bashing poor bruce's stand.

Hell, if his stand can stand (no pun intended) up to this this sort verbal abuse then 2000kg of water will be nothing.

:lol5:

Its angle, not tube.

:lol5:

aint that the bloody truth huzzy

1...The stand is made of angle not tube

2...It's not the strenght of the verticals that is in question...it's the 1200mm span of 50x50x3 angle

well......the stand was designed by a structual engineer,,,,,,ime sure we cant all be wrong

Fair enough....I'd get the Structural Engineer to give me a signed certificate containing his registration number....stating the stand has been designed to support a 2.4mx0.75mx0.6m all glass tank full of water....and I'd check his professional indemnity insurance...and then I'd check my house and contents insurance.

If you can't get the certificate....I'd err on the safe side and add extra support front and rear.

This is not about sticking it to you Bruce....my intention is to minimise your risk given your considerable investment in this project....If you ask for advise on a public forum don't expect all replies to be what you want to hear.....

I won't say anything more other than neither I or cainam have anything to lose....unless cainam built the stand :roll

An update:

Stand has been completely coated in rust proof paint, I am considering giving it a coat in high gloss white to give it a nice finish and help in the water proofing.

The concrete base to the foundation was laid on Sunday and I have just been under the house with a lamp laying some bricks. Four layers done, six to go!

Tank is arriving on Saturday!! Lots to do before then, gotta finish founation, do all the wood for the stand, move the air conditioner, finish painting the walls, put new window in, install new room light for the tank area so I can work on it in light and the list goes on!

Bruce

It's gonna be a busy one!

I love it aswell, apart from the things that aren't directly related to the tank and its components. Eg. building foundations, moving air con units etc.

Bruce

Alright, tank is supposedly coming in about an hour and a bit! Was supposed to come yesterday but it didn't due to unexpected problems.

I have completely rustcoated the stand and double coated all the joins. I also attached all the plywood to the tank to give it extra strength. The floor foundation is also complete, I'll get some pictures of that when it stops raining.

Here are some updated pictures...

Stand with wood

IPB Image

Sump support

IPB Image

Light to install in stand

IPB Image

Light Switch

IPB Image

Light spot

IPB Image

Light in proposed spot

IPB Image

More pictures to follow

Bruce

I'm still keen for pics of this foundation modification. And it will give everyone a different topic to stress themselves about :)

I agree, enough doubt has been instilled over the stand, show us some pics of the foundation. I will be preparing my case notes...... mwahah

Its looking good Bruce :thumb

Are you cutting the holes in the wood at the back before the tank goes on? Don't forget to leave a few holes in the back to drop power cords n stuff through to make it easier once the tank is in.

Seeing as though you are putting that on timber floors have you thought about putting a drain valve on the sump. Maybe something on the side at the bottom and plumbing it to your stormwater drain to make your water changes easy. The timber floor would also make it easy to put a water line up through the floor and a tap on the end for the water changes too.

HTH :yes:

Ben

If its stopped raining by tonight I'll have some foundation pictures.

I will put a hole in the back at a later stage, it's not my biggest priority at the moment.

Never really thought of that but I think drillling holes in the floor is out of the question; I'm still living at home. Also, the tank has already been made and nothing can be changed.

Bruce

The Tank Is Here

It came tonight, took 4 of us to get it into the house. Here are some pictures...

Tank on stand, sump underneath
IPB Image

Sump filter (4 compartments)
IPB Image

Random picture of corner
IPB Image

This one goes out to BaZ...
IPB Image

Bruce

Archived