New Tank Journal

Bruce

Now I need everyones opinion on a couple of things; I haven't completely decided on lighting for the tank yet, what would you guys recommend? I was thinking of getting some Aquamedia T5 pendants.

IPB Image

I am scared with these lights that they will be too powerful and wash out the featherfins and sandsifters colour or they will be too blue. What do you guys think?

Bruce

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you seen the price of the aqaumedic stuff? :)

I have only seen them complimenting halides on a reef tank, and they looked pretty damn good. You could adjust the light intensity by raising or lowering the unit above the tank?

I've never heard of aquamedia before, sorry. From the picture, I think you mean aquamedic?

Would you suspend the light over the tank? Or fix it to the hood?

I am scared with these lights that they will be too powerful and wash out the featherfins and sandsifters colour or they will be too blue. What do you guys think?

You can always just play around with the tubes and mix/match them to get your desired look.

hi i have a marine tank and i have the standard blue globes and metal halides. i have found that for the blue globes to work they must be at the front . so when se=tting it up make sure you have the blue globe at the front or it will get washed away by the stronger white light if it is in front of it. but i would have both definately. you can pick up a metal halide for about $120-$140 and the globes are on ebay very cheap. mate only have this on while you are at home watching the tank . you will get a rippled effect through your water with the surface being agitated it looks spectacular. if not get the full spectrum globes but put the blue toward the front of the tank and have it come on prior to the full spectrum tubes then stay on a bit longer than the full spectrum tubes via some cheap timers this will add a sunrise , sunset type of efect to your tank which the fish will get used to. i think you should go to your local lighting place explain to them what you have done regarding the post tell them in return for a great deal tell them you will mention their business several times through out the remainder of the post and forum and see what they can do for you? explain to them how many hobbiests you know and how often we go through globes and how many tanks some of these people hjave and all their tanks have lights.there is TLE electrical around my area amongst others where i go and you will be suprised how much you save mate. im talking about where the tradies go not your family lighting store where they have a thousand lights on with a big sign saying sale up to 50% off this weekend.yellow pages or the internet and some phone calls youll save heaps. good luck.

Thanks for the help. Serkan, it is an Aquamedic, that was a typo.

My concern with these lights is not the spectrum but rather but intensity. Anyone who has kept Featherfins and S'Sifters would know that strong lights wash their colour out and that is what I want to avoid. What I'm asking is are these lights too intense?

Bruce

hi you wont get the true color of your fish with just the blue tubes but with the full spectrum tubes aswell they will look great as you are getting the full spread of natural light as in sunlight from red through to blue if you can understand that?

hi just a thought on the filter setup to bruce. great filter by the way. from what i understand you want your water to flow through your media slowly . the way u have set it up is whatever size pump u have because you have both your weirs going into the right5 hand side your going to get 10000l an hour run through your media aswell. what i would do is move your media one bay to the right and have your left weir go into the left compartment of the sump and make your second compartment from the left your pumping compartment if the pumps will fit in there ? underneath your piping on either end of the sump put some filter wool to pre filter the water. just a thought bruce

Nice work Bruce! Love the baffle filter! It's most unusual to see a sump used this way (except at BaZ's place) as most are wet and dry jobs. I think the baffle filter is a fine idea and much (IMHO) easier to work with than most wet/dry systems! Is there any chance of snaffling a picture of it to use on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_%28aquarium%29

Hi Bruce -

You can email it to me - or upload it yourself. Wikipedia requires the use of creative commons licenses for images. This basically means anyone can use your image but they'll need to attribute you when they do.

Cheers - David (webmaster@sydneycichlid.com)

It's been a while. Here are some more shots from tonight.

Any guesses?

IPB Image

Background!

IPB Image

Closeup

IPB Image

Got some lights the other night....some Aquaone 4ft double reflectors

IPB Image

Enjoy!

Bruce

I'm draining the tank tonight to put the background in tomorrow. I had to empty fill first so I could see all the plumbing in action!

Bruce

I'm draining the tank tonight to put the background in tomorrow. I had to empty fill first so I could see all the plumbing in action!

Bruce

Hope your re-using all that water. :yes:

A bloody big waste considering were in a drought!

Tanks looking great none the less. Can't wait to see it with the background on!

Yep, bought the whole thing. I will use it all for other projects and that sort of thing. I agree it really is a nice piece. I love the fact that it takes up hardly any tank space compared to the others.

Bruce

Flashiefront- it's actually two 4ft reflectors end on end.

tinytonez- the background was from Aquariums@Asquith and as for the price I can't remember exactly how much, you could try giving them a call for a quote.

I would just like to thank Mark and Jeff down at Aquariums@Asquith again for their help with helping me set this tank up. I wouldn't be in the same place today if it wasn't for their hard work and patience....keep it up guys!

Bruce

Thanks!

Got a big component of the tank done today. Installing the background. I cut each piece to size and installed using a large bead of silicon around the edge then coated with gravel to try and make it blend it. I used the wrong coloured gravel though :toohard:

Here are some pictures from todays efforts...

Nearly empty tank before beginning

IPB Image

Installing front piece on one weir

IPB Image

Silicon on back of large piece for extra support

IPB Image

That same weir at end of day

IPB Image

Whole Tank Shot!

IPB Image

Bruce

Archived