Where to get f1 salousis

bronco696

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i came across this site, just shows the true salousi should look like ...looks amazing..

those salousi john are definately better lookin, but your male looks weird, in comparing to the link below..or maybes its the camera

http://www.african-cichlid.com/Saulosi.htm

another thing i noticed is it true salousi female dont have egg spots, but only 1 of mine has no egg spot and the rest do have a egg spots but very small.. even in johns pic i seen 1 with an egg spot...

i came across this site, just shows the true salousi should look like ...looks amazing..

those salousi john are definately better lookin, but your male looks weird, in comparing to the link below..or maybes its the camera

http://www.african-cichlid.com/Saulosi.htm

another thing i noticed is it true salousi female dont have egg spots, but only 1 of mine has no egg spot and the rest do have a egg spots but very small.. even in johns pic i seen 1 with an egg spot...

yes looks good in real life must have been the camera angle cause I went back to look at him myself after seeing the pic :)

It's taken me a couple of years and a few purchases to find some saulosi up here in QLD that I am happy with. I didn't have dramas with mongrels, moreso just with inbred stock, poor/eneven barring etc.

The group I have assembled now and are quite nice, very similar looking to johns fish but perhaps more of a pale yellow. Personally I think I prefer the colours of his girls a tad more, but my little boy is a stunner.

This whole discussion could also be about the "electric yellows" I am seeing up here. Lots of crossbred fish, but the owners seem to be of the opinion that if thats what they bought them as, thats what they will sell them as, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Do the right thing bronco and make sure those fish of yours never breed, if not cull them immediately (this is what I would do) and also bear in mind that even if one of them looks more like the real deal than some of the others, they definately are not. Source yourself some good fish, destroy the hybrids and be proud that you are the one who made a stand for the purity of the species.

not to mention any lfs ..had many fish all mixed and same style fish you could not tell males and females apart(mainly the females) and sell them as pairs @ridiculous prices.. this is how some people start off getting wrong and bad fish mixed... it personaly happend to me and i had to get rid of over 20 fish cause i could not work out what females was for what fish cause all looked the same ....

edit by Gav: removed identifying location on shop.

thanks guys for a interesting topic.. all inputs have been taken aboard and considered.. and i am looking for a good quality fish now..

And it still doesn't sound like you have learnt anything..

Saulosi are one of my favourite mbuna, Do some research before you buy fish anywhere.

Bronco,

I have just stripped some fry, an they should be ready in a couple of months. I'll give you some for free if you still haven't got some by then. With only one caveat, your hybrid fish should be destroyed (humanely).

Here is the pict of their parrents:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

sorri Lepperfish for not doing research before i bought fish.. but when i did notice there were few kinds of salousi all over the net, german , coral red.. and the f1 salousi.. how would i actually know what the hell seems to be good.. and yes i did post here about this fish .... and when i went to 2 breeders and they had similar fish that were orange.. i just bought it... and i dont think majority of people who buy fish actually do that much research like you do..

as i use to breed 2 discus pairs, before selling them.. due to there boringness.. i had all hybrid colors.. nearly all discus you see in the shops are hybrids.. by me killing the fish in my tank doesnt solve anything.. so i wont be doing that.. and the people that bought the discus off me,, didnt ask me if they were hybird at all.. just becuz there colors were maddd! and they breed! they bought.. and thats what i did..

ill pass skyedge,, thanks for offer.. ill just look for some as im after adult colony..

http://www.aceforums.com.au/index.php?show...c=48201&hl=

ill make sure i get the mbuna dictionary out before i buy any fish.. geez..

and it looks like my electric yellows are showing some sort of differences.. all of them have black barring in there bodies.. and there not full body yellow.. lol.. anyways.. ill wait till they get bigger and see.. if it goes away..

:shock:

I have one piece of advise to anyone reading this thread and breeding fish (ANY type of cichlid)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use single species breeding tanks OR if you really need to, use two species that would definitely not cross!!

By the way, Bronco, 99% of the serious breeders will research for months before buying their breeding stock. Most will source batches from different breeders including interstate breeders to ensure that the bloodline is diverse. Please don't assume that any of the fish that you have purchased are of pure strain of any type of species. I'm referring to the fish bought as saulosi. If you are serious about breeding them, don't mix any other type of Ps in the tank.

Typically, a good quality male will have even spaced barring. Possible 5 one side and 6 on the other. OR have 5 or 6 bars on either side meeting at the dorsal. The bars should be solid and not broken or blotched. The females are deep yellow (to orange).

Good luck with your search. When you do get a colony together, keep only the best looking fish with great color and body/facial profile to breed with and remove the rest. You can then also look at introducing some of the best fry back into the colony if need be.

and it looks like my electric yellows are showing some sort of differences.. all of them have black barring in there bodies.. and there not full body yellow.. lol.. anyways.. ill wait till they get bigger and see.. if it goes away..

If the black is barring it generally won't "go away"

Some Labidochromis caeruleus species do have black barring ie the white varieties. So the barring in yellows can be a genetic throw back to that. This will happen through in breeding and limited brood stock. A situation we do see in Australia. So you need to take note of body shape.

It can also occur through cross breeding with barred species.

Either way we all look to breed clean yellows.

• 2 weeks later...

sorri Lepperfish for not doing research before i bought fish.. but when i did notice there were few kinds of salousi all over the net, german , coral red.. and the f1 salousi.. how would i actually know what the hell seems to be good.. and yes i did post here about this fish .... and when i went to 2 breeders and they had similar fish that were orange.. i just bought it... and i dont think majority of people who buy fish actually do that much research like you do..

as i use to breed 2 discus pairs, before selling them.. due to there boringness.. i had all hybrid colors.. nearly all discus you see in the shops are hybrids.. by me killing the fish in my tank doesnt solve anything.. so i wont be doing that.. and the people that bought the discus off me,, didnt ask me if they were hybird at all.. just becuz there colors were maddd! and they breed! they bought.. and thats what i did..

ill pass skyedge,, thanks for offer.. ill just look for some as im after adult colony..

http://www.aceforums.com.au/index.php?show...c=48201&hl=

ill make sure i get the mbuna dictionary out before i buy any fish.. geez..

I can't believe the ignorance. :shock:

Discus are allowable imports. If someone wants to bring in some wildcaughts they can.

Almost ALL african cichlids are not. By not detroying your fish you are making the battle to keep fish species pure and of good quality much harder. What's going to happen when you get new fish? Are you going to purchase an entire new tank? What are you going to do with the babies your raising? What happens if you decide to leave the fish hobby? Will you then sell your fish off?

I can't believe you rejected the offer of quality fish for FREE just because you won't destroy your cross bred & ugly fish. Your discus may have been nice but these certainly are not.

how would i actually know what the hell seems to be good.. and yes i did post here about this fish .... and when i went to 2 breeders and they had similar fish that were orange.. i just bought it... and i dont think majority of people who buy fish actually do that much research like you do..

You would think if you had researched so much that you would have noticed that your fish look hardly anything like salousi do!

Let's relax people. If the guy is new he probably didn't know any better. We get attached to our fish and if people start telling him that he's got 'dodgy' fish or that they are 'ugly' etc. then of course he is going to get defensive. If he's anything like me he probably loves his aquatic pets and does the best he can to look after them.

How about we all take a breath and chill out? Bronco, it's no reflection on you mate but I'd also agree that you don't really have 'Salousi'. By all means keep them for display purposes but don't let anything breed in that tank or pass them off to anyone else.

Buying hybrids is easy enough to do. Now you're better informed you can make an appropriate decision that you're comfortable with.

Been great advice guys But :confused:

I dont think its going to help as bronco696 has a stubborn streak!!1

Mate try reading the advice and rethinking???

Sorry but as said they are hybirds, Skyedge a good offer as well.

Plenty of photos to show the crosses & whitish females as well.

I do agree he is new and looks like the seller should take the fish back and refund this guy?

Even more so if its the person on here???

Yeah lets all crucify Bronco for being sold bad quality and then asking about them when he noticed they didnt look right.

I say good on him! Atleast he asked others wouldnt bother and then sell the poor quality fry on in the future

Archived