Where to get f1 salousis

bronco696

well i wont grow them out.. that was my first bunch btw.. that was successful, ill just grow them and put them in display..

and anything else can fight to survive in display tank,because i have 3 hlding.lol

not being rude or anything DUCKSTA, but y cant i call them salousi, when my salousi are what i see others have.. ive been to 2 breeders that sell salousi, and there all orange,, or the hybrid name coral red

are you telling me that they arnt salousi either.. then what is a salousi, do they have to be yellow, because i came on here to find genuine salousi that are yellow, and no one seems to have any..

and when i see adverts on petlink selling salousi, and go to check them out they seem to be what looks like what i have.. thats y ive never cared.

because if this is what a salousi is, i have non that look like color..

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/species-gal...us_saulosi.html

ive never seem them, or i would of bought it..

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im not intending to name anyone.. but im just saying i know now..

and in honesty if it was a concern to keep the bloodline right, it would be better to name the person. or they will keep sellin them..

hmm.. but anyways.. i have to think,, what ill do now..

Well, then does anyone in Australia have a real salousi?

well since my fish are not pure, i really dont see the point of killing them, because, i kill 4 salousi from my stock, then to see a so called breeder, breed 100s to sell on the market.. makes no sense to kill them,

i think we shud accept this is the way salousi are in australia, unless shown otherwise. because like ive said ive never seen a yellow salousi on the market for sale.

These are NOT salousi.

That's why you can't call them salousi.

Yes there are salousi available that have straight bars.

Yes there are female salousis that are yellowish. Trouble is almost all foods we feed our fish contain colour enchances that make our yellow fish orange.

I know a guy who breeds/bred cichlids. He breeds some quality salousis that were either F1 or F2. He supplied a local aquarium to me (And you) with quality fish with both traits (good barring and yellowish females).

Why are you arguing this point?

i think we shud accept this is the way salousi are in australia, unless shown otherwise. because like ive said ive never seen a yellow salousi on the market for sale.

Being 'yellow' is not a defining feature of salousi. Your fish show the following features which allows us to determine they are crosses:

- More elongated body than salousi normally have

- Checkerboard body pattern

- Extreme variations in colour.

You also have not exhausted the market for salousi's. Otherwise you would have noticed the salousi's at the aquarium local to us, aswell as going to the auctions where the breeder attends.

You do not have to kill these fish, you do have to confine them to your tanks though. I have a cichlid that my brother bred. It is what I believe to be a gresharki/hongi x mbamba. The entire batch of babies it is from were 'fed' to a tank of cichlids. This one survived that, it survived when that same tank was filled with yabbies and then filled with oscars. It has earned it's right to live in my tanks. However, it can now breed with almost anything. So far it's tallied up mainganos, mbambas, albino zebras and possibly electric yellows. Seeing this you can realise the destruction this fish would cause if allowed out of my tanks.

bronco,

please feel free to message myself, one of the other moderators or administrators the name of the person that sold you these fish. also please clarify in that message if you bought them through a pet link ad or an ad on ace.

now to the fish. i am with ducksta, you should NOT refer to these fish as saulosi as they no more resemble saulosi as they do a few other fish i can think of. mcloughlin raises an excellent point as well. just because others breed them does not mean that you should.

i have bred saulosis in large numbers in the past and still have friends that keep and breed them. there are reputable breeders that also breed and sell these fish. best way is to put up a WTB in the forums, then get pics of the parents before you purchase. hopefully someone can soon put a pic up that shows what a true saulosi should look like and it will help clear things up considerably.

its strange that i shuld have to exhaust the market for a pure breed, like i said direct me to anyone in sydney who has the real deal, from wat iv seen from the breeders ive meet, they have tank full of orange salousi.

mcloughlin2:

u live in blacktown, can u tell me this local shop tat sells these pure salousi;s id gladly drop by or tell me the breeder thanks..as i cant attend auctions

You don't have to exhaust the market completely. It just sounds like you have not really tried if you didn't even check out the local shops.

If you read what I said clearly orange salousi does not mean pure fish. Simply pure fish can be orange.

EDIT: Due to bronco696 editting his post it may appear mine is irrelevant. This is not the case.

lol.. few people said they know breeders who have them, but ur the closest person to me, who has said they know a breeder so can you tell me the breeder mate..

and u said a local aquaruim near u, can u tell me.. ill go and check em out, or see if they can get some for me,, if so il start again..

so all the orange salousi ive seen and the best orange one i have(as seen in last pic),, can be a pure salousi now.. because it has all the traites you said.. but its orange,, and no egg spot.. and the male doesnt have more then 4 or 5 bars

Female salousi are NOT yellow as in electric yellow colour. They can be a yellowish colour. Refer to the link I posted and answer my question - is that what you call yellow?

But technically speaking, yellow fish fed colour enchancers containing beta carotene will turn the fish a orangey colour.

WOW seems i may have sold people some dud's.

if i may clarify myself.

the original parents of the parents where sourced from st george aquarium aswell as trans aquarium. The male father i have has vertical bars and i can show pics of them. He also on breed with his sisters. I never saw a fish grow to more then 4cm when i first started to sell them so i never saw the color teh males went. I was able to sell fish at 2cm and have no troubles at all.

I was then offered some 'german' saulosi from a member who lives in wagga wagga.

The male breeder i originally had decided to kill his females so i was left with the' german' ones. I honestly cant tell is they are johanni or anythinn else similar as they got mixed with the babies from there batch and i now only have 2 females left. I will try to post pics of the original females so see if you all think they are hybrids.

As for selling fish of different sizes... well people like to by 1 male and a few females hence the larger males available. that and the fact people stopped buying my fish i had to sell them cheap.

I apologise if i have sold hybrids but i can only go on what people have sold to me and what they call them.

They look like crosses of some description to me. The babies are most definately not salousi. Baby salousi are a nice yellowish colour.

I understand you being misled in the first place. I find it very strange however that someone can breed a fish, raise the babies, sell the babies, use a internet forum and still not google the fish species once which would have made it pretty evident they are not pure with the abundance of pictures online.

:zipit:

i dont know what they are, but i know for sure that they are not saulosi. all would meet their best end in a tank with large fish. these should not moved on to others. not for free, not for money. yes its a pain but sometimes things happen. there is already enough loose out there to cause loads of problems.

I agree with all others. There are plenty of good saulosi around, and I have seen several lfs with good stock available, including St George Aquariums.

If you would like to keep those fish, feel free - but please - if and when you get real saulosi, do not mix these bitzers up with them. I would also support the others in recommending they be disposed of.

Just to chime in.

Looks like a johanni or interruptus female..........

I wouldn't be so fast to just kill the fish. Rather remove them from your breeding program. It's not their fault they are not what they are supposed to be.

on another note.

And coral red are not a hybrid. They are P. salousi too, maybe a tank bred form, but they are a 'pure' species. Whatever that means.

and you don't need F1 to have better fish. I know people in the UK with good access to wilds and often the wilds are not show quality, ie straight lines with demasoni etc....

You need quality fish, and that is the crux of it, no matter how many generations away from the lake they are.

So matrox if the females where Johanni would the male not display qualities of the same fish as they are from the same parents?

Does the male look hybrid?

and have no fear the current father of the 'german fry doesnt spawn with the mother of the germans or his daughter so there is no chance of more fish being sold.

Just goes to show you cant even trust what reputable LFS's sell you hey. :(

Sorry to all who bought my fish but the 'german' fry do look better colored in person. Does there shape indicate hybrid?

So matrox if the females where Johanni would the male not display qualities of the same fish as they are from the same parents?

and have no fear the current father of the 'german fry doesnt spawn with the mother of the germans or his daughter so there is no chance of more fish being sold.

Sorry to all who bought my fish but the 'german' fry do look better colored in person. Does there shape indicate hybrid?

The male looks like a salousi x melanochromis.... or even demasoni x melanochromis, but it is a hybrid.

Salousi juveniles should be quite a bright colour and would have to look a heck of a lot better than the pics.

The male looks like a salousi x melanochromis.... or even demasoni x melanochromis, but it is a hybrid.

Salousi juveniles should be quite a bright colour and would have to look a heck of a lot better than the pics.

They are not his fry. Ohh well looks like i have duds. Sorry all buyers once again :(

wow interesting thread, I will have to post pix of my salusi colony, I have thought the to be above average but not great I'll post up pix for critique tomorrow I bot the a male and 3 female from the last major auction.

Archived