Where to get f1 salousis

bronco696

hey guys,

im interested in where i can get f1 salousis, ive got heaps of salousis(my favourite cichlid..hehe..:p), but they dont seem to be yellow, like wild caught ones, they are more orange then yellow, and all the males are so varied in color,, and markings,, its amazing..

so very keen to get some f1s, anywere in sydney area.. so i can mix them to see if i can get a nicer dominate yellow color..

cheers,

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Salousi in Australia have become very ordinary in quality over the past few years. There may be small pockets of good fish available in Sydney, but i havent seen any for a while.

I am sure that someone on here was claiming to have F1's a while ago, but i cnt remember who it was. just try and source some good one some where

Good luck

Josh

hey guys,

im interested in where i can get f1 salousis, ive got heaps of salousis(my favourite cichlid..hehe..:p), but they dont seem to be yellow, like wild caught ones, they are more orange then yellow, and all the males are so varied in color,, and markings,, its amazing..

so very keen to get some f1s, anywere in sydney area.. so i can mix them to see if i can get a nicer dominate yellow color..

cheers,

I bought some fry a forum member here.

Two supposedly are German F1 males (I am not fussed about it) that turned out to look like normal saulosi, which is good.

The rests are local blood that turned out to be different. They have black straight bars plus blotches and their body are too elongated for a saulosi. Not too mention they are aggressive as hell. I believe they're hybrids, possibly with Melanochromis johannii.

Yours may well be hybrids as well. If this is the case and deliberately done for profit, it's a sad situation since we don't have many good ones around.

I hope you find some pure saulosi.

main male salousi breeder- srri for large pics,

IPB Image

I hate it when people cross fish. This fish needs to go. Please do not let it leave your tanks alive.

100% sure it is a cross :(

IPB Image

this is my pale white female salousi, that i just stripped few days ago, so thats y she skinny.. ill show the fry soon, they seem yellow tho..lol

bottom of pic female holding,cant realli tell on pic, and top right is female dat looks like male

IPB Image

the one circle in red is the pale whitesh female salousi, and the other circled on is a german male salousi, who has just changed color,, and its really bad coloring tho.. not a ounce of blue on him.. just seems all black.. until the other male who has amazing blue..

hey,phenomena

yea ill pm u were i got them from,if i can remeber

yea, i dont intend to sell them anyways, like i said, they have great character..

but i wanted to show u guys , why i was after f1s salousi.. to improve the bloodline,

anyways i got to go to work,, cya

You can't improve that bloodline - there's definitely something 'wrong' with those fish. ie. they are not the species you paid for...

You'd be better off donating those fish to a display only tank, or a couple of hungry barramundi, and getting some good quality fish and starting fresh.

well i didnt pay much for them anyways, and im not gonna kill them.. thats for sure,, they are display fish anyways..

and they are all salousis 4 sure, because they all breed with each other, and hang and interact with there own species,, and tend to be less interactive with other fish in the tank..

and as for starting over.. and getting quality fish.. that is hard to find, since i came on here to ask where i can get some quality ones..hehe

and they are not aggresive, as some think, only time they tend to show this behaviour is when they breed. well thats wat i noticed.

thanks for replies guys..

I'm sorry you got duped with hybridised fish!

I picked up a few saulosi fry at the October major auction, they are still young so it's hard to tell what the males will look like, but they are not hybrids. Quality, we'll have to see.

So I am looking for some genuine saulosi too!

and they are all salousis 4 sure, because they all breed with each other, and hang and interact with there own species,, and tend to be less interactive with other fish in the tank..

I understand what you mean, but they are definitely not saulosi, like others have said.

And as much as it sucks, if you ever get good saulosi, you should never keep them with the ones you have now, let alone breed them together. You can't improve what isn't a saulosi to start with.

EDIT: Re above post, should people be allowed to name and shame? Tho I dunno why he knows 'now' and didn't before.

You can't improve that bloodline - there's definitely something 'wrong' with those fish. ie. they are not the species you paid for...

You'd be better off donating those fish to a display only tank, or a couple of hungry barramundi, and getting some good quality fish and starting fresh.

ducksta is spot on lol

it is a shame that this has happened to you if i had some salousis i would of given you some

yours sould not be allowed to breed as they are not true to the species

you are the perfict example of why people shouldn't mis lead others by selling cross breed fish

I guess we have different opinions on 'display fish' as you seem to have taken some effort toward raising fry from these fish?

I know it's hard to let go of fish you've raised. I don't blame you - they're pets just as much as any kitten... And in a genuine display only tank they do no harm.

However, you have to commit to keeping them for life, and ensuring that poor quality fish don't recirculate in the market and pollute other people's breeding tanks.

And by raising fry - you're growing out more bad quality fish, you're going to have to do something with them eventually? How many fry do you think you can grow out and let live in your home?

Even giving these fish away is doing a disservice to the hobby at large - because it makes finding those good quality fish (the one's you now want to find) harder.

The first step should be to stop referring to them as salousi - because they are clearly not. And you can't blame whoever sold them to you - they may not have known either. Unless you have some proof that they deliberately set about crossing fish and then duping you in to believing they were the real deal.

The best thing to hope for now is education that stops the hybrid fish being spread through the hobby further.

well i would assume if someone was breeding them, and then randomly sold me a fish, that was kept with other salousi fry.. that were 3 cms, where as this male was 6 cms at the time roughly.. hmm a tad sus to say they didnt know what they were selling, and me coming along and seeing that his selling me fry i came to buy that were 3 cms and gave me the male for the same price,, No one does that if they had a reason..

and i clearly remeber askin the person is it a male salousi, yes.

and are you selling it at the same price as the fry,, yes

and how cud i not take it.. and not knowing either even what hybird fish was at the time..

1 fry has turned out orange color .. and 2 fry has turned out blackish, with near no blue males.. and 1 has turned more yellowish that i like, but seems to grow slow very slow.. which i think is in one of the pics.... and i bought only 5 fish...lol, and these what i got now.. AND I WAS TOLD THESE ARE GERMANS MATE.... damn, ohh well..

I didn't know the full circumstances of the purchase. I just meant, in general, it's not fair to hang someone out to dry on a public forum if they've just made an honest mistake.

In then end, hopefully you can get your hands on some good quality, pure-bred fish, as I'm sure you will enjoy them even more than the fish you have now.

Archived