Mixed cichlid tank

Chris.K

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of quite a few new editions recently that i just got round to shooting.

Pundamilia sp. "Crimson Tide". a real beauty bought from marc at asquith. great recommendation mate. he is a tad bigger than the mbamba and tried his luck but it didnt last long. he fit into the tank very easily though with minimal fuss. i also bought 2 Synodontis multipunctatus. awesome little buggers but a bit too elusive to try and photograph at the moment.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Very nice fish. The Synos are excellent to watch and more elusive than Lord Lucan when it comes to photographing them. The thing I like about Marc is he can open up a whole new ideas of ways to stock a tank. At least for a newb like myself.

thanks ! i dont have a dealer per se. i buy from who has the best fish at the time. i have bought from majestic, (primarily), fishbowl, st george and asquith. all 4 of them have been awesome and great people.

the only place i wouldnt touch with a barge pole again no matter how good their fish may be is riverside aquariums in campsie. he sold me the above peacock which is NOT in fact a baenschi which is what i wanted and so i returned it. the bloke is a crook and ripped me off blind. gives everyone in the industry a bad name. i wont ever shop there again and needless to say i will tell everyone i know into fish to avoid them like the plague.

its always a shame to hear stories like that, especially when stores like that can ruin their reputation so easily by wee wEEing 1 customer off.

I am trying since ages now to get some female Electric Yellows and last time at my LFS the guy wanted to sell me some faded yellow fish that might be female. I asked him if I could have the "real" yellow ones "over there" and he said it would take him too long to catch them...

they have seen me the last time as well!

anyway, congratz again to the beatiful fish!

thanks ! i dont have a dealer per se. i buy from who has the best fish at the time. i have bought from majestic, (primarily), fishbowl, st george and asquith. all 4 of them have been awesome and great people.

the only place i wouldnt touch with a barge pole again no matter how good their fish may be is riverside aquariums in campsie. he sold me the above peacock which is NOT in fact a baenschi which is what i wanted and so i returned it. the bloke is a crook and ripped me off blind. gives everyone in the industry a bad name. i wont ever shop there again and needless to say i will tell everyone i know into fish to avoid them like the plague.

Your setup is fantastic. Really good job.

I've got my doubts on several of those fish though.

There's no way that is Pundamilia sp. "Crimson Tide" for example. Might be Astatotilapia Latifasciata but no way is it a pundamilia.

Pundamilia sp. "Crimson Tide". True Crimson Tide.

IPB Image

Haplochromis sp. "Flameback" could be anything as well.

that is indeed a beautiful fish. mine is only very small, round 6-7cm at most; is it not possible for it to colour up more as it gets bigger ? same goes for the flameback. i see so many images of these fish and there seems to be significant colour/ pattern variation amongst them.

not doubting you at all, just throwing it out there.

that is indeed a beautiful fish. mine is only very small, round 6-7cm at most; is it not possible for it to colour up more as it gets bigger ? same goes for the flameback. i see so many images of these fish and there seems to be significant colour/ pattern variation amongst them.

not doubting you at all, just throwing it out there.

Hi Chris,

I should of given more information. My bad.

I would say 99% (as you are never 100% with Victoria Basin Cichlids) that your fish labelled as Pundamilia Crimson Tide is in fact Astatotilapia Latifasciata.

This species has been the subject of naming conjecture for a long time apparently.

The rest of the world calls A. Latifasciata "Zebra Obliquidens" but somehow, somewhere in Australia they became known as "Crimson Tides"

However, it's the Pundamilia bit that doesn't wash. A true P. Crimson Ride is the fish I put up.

These, which I have for sale at the moment are Zebra Obliquidens (Astatotilapia Latifasciata)

IPB Image

To me, your fish is one of these.

Nice fish, no need to get rid of it, it will likely try and mate anything in the tank as it is seemingly a male and these are known to hybridize with not only other Vics but also Malawians.

Nice pics Chris :thumb

As Frenzy said the Latifasciata is the genus Astatotilapia

nomenclature can be very confusing ....... it was much simplier

in the old days but now :dntknw: ahh so many different Genera

and then they change them again

Chris

The rest of the world calls A. Latifasciata "Zebra Obliquidens" but somehow, somewhere in Australia they became known as "Crimson Tides"

However, it's the Pundamilia bit that doesn't wash. A true P. Crimson Ride is the fish I put up.

These, which I have for sale at the moment are Zebra Obliquidens (Astatotilapia Latifasciata)

IPB Image

To me, your fish is one of these.

Nice fish, no need to get rid of it, it will likely try and mate anything in the tank as it is seemingly a male and these are known to hybridize with not only other Vics but also Malawians.

thats EXACTLY what i have. thanks for all the info.

i know i now have an Astatotilapia Latifasciata !

so how do i get my hands on a real crimson tide ? they look freakin awesome.

If you can get your hands on real Pundamilia sp "crimson tide" I wanna be the first to know :lol2:

I've been doing this thing with Victorians for the last year and have been researching and researching all over the place.

I can't even establish if they were ever in the country.

Maybe Linked2Hell or other notaries with years more experience than I have would know.

Frenz

its not. i already pointed that out a few posts ago.

Any idea what he is? It would be to see a full body shot to see if he is a hybrid or not. Either way he is a nice peacock :thumb . I have Aulonocara baenschi "Nkhomo reef" They are nice fish although take an age to colour up fully. I have also found them pretty shy so they really need to have nice tank mates (or silimar coloured ie yellows ) to look truly specular.

cheers

rosco

If you can get your hands on real Pundamilia sp "crimson tide" I wanna be the first to know :lol2:

I've been doing this thing with Victorians for the last year and have been researching and researching all over the place.

I can't even establish if they were ever in the country.

Maybe Linked2Hell or other notaries with years more experience than I have would know.

Frenz

frenz, have made some enquiries with majestic about 2 of the species of victorians i wanted and they are chasing it up at the moment. the 2 i want are:

Haplochromis Ruby Green

Pundamilia nyererei (Ruti Is.)

if i have any luck i will let you know. or if you want to order some with me let me know aswell. am also ordering some yellow alto comps. i note you have a pic of one as your avatar, do you have them ? they look like very cool fish.

To the best of my knowledge, the "real" "Crimson Tide" has never been circulated in the Aussie hobby. I have only ever seen A. latifasciata being marketed as such, when they are most assuredly not the fish known as "Crimson Tide" overseas. If, however, they are ever brought in, I believe they would help create a much-needed new impetus with Vic cichlids.

Vics might be aggressive and dead easy to breed, but they also are outstanding colours, and irreplaceable if lost to the hobby.

The peacock above appears to be from the stuartgranti complex - perhaps a young-ish A. stuartgranti "Usisya", aslo known as A. flavescens. "Undu Reef" is another possible locale.

Andrew.

Agree with Andrew re crimson tide, & Frenzy,

Your L mbama look like 2 males to me that have been locking jaws.Boss it bright color's and other is sub dominant.

Hard to say with peacock but A S/g Usisya maybe.

Dought you will find the 2 Vic's your looking for in Oz.

Norm's ( the owner) a pretty good guy at Campie, but maybe you got a staff member?.

Norm's ( the owner) a pretty good guy at Campie, but maybe you got a staff member?.

big older dude. glasses. wank*r. dont know his name, nor do i want to know. i'll never go there again. EVER. thats how customer service, (or lack thereof), works.

i took 3 mainganos back to majestic today cos i had 4 out of 5 fish being males so they may end up trying to kill eachother as they get older. do you think i had even the slightest problem ? nope. thats cos they know how to look after their customers and exactly why i'll keep going back and recommending them to others. just lke i'd recommend asquith, st george or fishbowl.

RE: the mbamba's; yes they are 2 males. we couldnt tell at the time as the sub dominant one was showing no colour and the "boss" was brightly coloured up. the sub now colours up quite often and every now and then the 2 lock jaws. it happens maybe once a week for a few seconds...that i've seen anyway. i still dont know the sex of the other 3 smaller ones. as i added more fish in though they fought less and less and pretty much stay out of eachothers way for the time being anyway.

Archived