Mixed cichlid tank

Chris.K

very excited to report that my tank is setup now. but unfortunately the eheim 2260 filter sprung a small leak on the 3rd day so ive had to switch it off and isolate it until the LFS come by to look at it tomorrow. the leak seems to be coming from just beneath the pump which is mounted on top of the filter, but i dont know if thats just where the water is dripping to from somewhere else.

it was all going so well too. temp stabilised overnight and varies from 24.5-25.5 which i think it pretty good ?? LFS tested it all out today and ammonia was down to zero, ph building nicely and KH looked good aswell. the water is still a tad cloudy after adding the bacteria kickstart thing but otherwise it was looking good.

i'm sure the leak is just a small thing but its freakin annoying.

the only thing i've been disappointed in is that the pump on the filter makes more noise than what i'd like. there is a constant very low pitch droning sound which is clearly audible in the room. its just loud enuf so you can hear it...i dont know what to do about that. now wondering if the newer eheim 2080 would have made a quieter choice.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very exciting Chris. Only thing I would try is to turn off the filter and dissassemble and reassemble checking everything on the instruction booklet. Learn where the impeller is and check it. Just put a towel down. The cause of the vibration maybe related to the leak in that two parts maybe misaligned or not manufactured properly. You won't do any harm and you will get used to the equipment you will be maintaining for a long time. Another thing to try is to see if placing it on a towel or some other dampening material reduces vibration. EHeim owners here will be able to tell you more. I have my temps at 26-27 but opinions vary. During cycling I put it up to 29 to encourage bacterial and bio activity. I am looking forward to pics :8

i dont think its a vibration noise; the filter has a large pad on its base. its just the low drning tone of a pump. since this pump is not in a sump i;m thinking its a bit noisier than say the 2080. hard to tell cos i didnt know what to expect really. i'm wondeing if having a tank with a bigger filter just means you will get some noise. i'm also thinking this "near silent" operation thing is either marketing hype or reports from people who are partically deaf. lol

i should know more tomorrow and will get some photos up.

filter is fixed. was just a loose fitting round the back. happy to report that my first lot of 6 fish have survived the first 36hrs. lol i got 3x electric yellows, 1x venustus, 2x L.Mbama.

my 3yo boy is getting a real kick out of the mbamas who are funny little buggers. very active around the tank and seem to enjoy swimming thru the air bubbles and surfing on the current of the powerhead. the yellows swim all over the joint and love the holey rocks and plants, (fake). the venustus seems to prefer digging up my coral sand.

i'm guessing wait a week before introducing the next lot of fish right ? when should i be doing waterchanges and what should i be looking out for in particular ?

Is the filter still making the sound? I do 30% water changes once a week. You have to keep an eye on ammonia, nitrites an nitrates. Once there is 0 ammonia and nitrites the cycle is complete. You will get an amonia spike, followed by a nitrite spike followed by nitrate. Nitrate isn't so much "deadly" like ammonia and nitrite but will be present, that's why we do water changes.

guys when should i expect some sort of mini cycle to happen ? am currently at 0 ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. although my kh is too high, it takes 14 drops in my kit to make it change to yellow.

want to try and add more fish this weekend but want to make sure i dont crash the tank.

Do you have the kh kit that the amount of drops times by ten is the ppm? 140ppm isn't to high.IMO I wouldn't be adding any more fish until it's 100% safe to do so.

i have the api kh/gh test kit. on the conversion chart is says that 12 drops is 214.8ppm. it doesnt even have 14 drops on the chart but looking thru the chart numbers and ratio of ppm increases per drop, my guess would be i'm around the 245ppm mark.

my lfs says not to bother worrying about it. so wtf did you sell me the test kit for then ? :dntknw:

Nice to see you are testing. What KH were you advised to maintain and what kit are you using? Which bio starter are you using? How long has the tank had the existing occupants? How are you controlling KH and GH? Sorry for the Spanish inquisition but I am interested to see how it got there.

I have been adding about 3 fish a week although had to break that rule at the weekend with an offer I could not refuse on Synodontis Petricolas. I have eight of the fellows running around the tank bemusing the cichlids. It was funny to see the Afra (the tank alpha) trying to stare down a catfish and neither flinching but neither attacking. Main thing is to not overfeed and keep up with the maintenance.

I doubt you will crash the tank with GH. Just watch the other params.

guys when should i expect some sort of mini cycle to happen ? am currently at 0 ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. although my kh is too high, it takes 14 drops in my kit to make it change to yellow.

want to try and add more fish this weekend but want to make sure i dont crash the tank.

Nice to see you are testing. What KH were you advised to maintain and what kit are you using? Which bio starter are you using? How long has the tank had the existing occupants? How are you controlling KH and GH? Sorry for the Spanish inquisition but I am interested to see how it got there.

i wasnt really told about kh. just "hard water". make sure the ph is right was my critical sucess factor according the the lfs. i have an african kh generator and african cichlid salts which i does at the very start of my tank filling with water ager, prime (??). i also added bactamax. http://www.majesticaquariums.com.au/ProductDes.aspx?p=151

tank has had the 6 occupants for around 4 days. they seem to be healthy cos they swim around like all buggery and eat like its their last meal.

L.Mbama

i think i have a male and a female. one is very bright coloured with bold stripes, the other has faded stripes and isnt very colourful.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

look at those damn teeth !!

IPB Image

IPB Image

baby N.Venustus

IPB Image

What are you shooting with?, pretty good shots of your inhabitants...

There is gh (general hardness) and kh (carbonate hardness).

Kh is crucial as it keeps your ph stable, stopping any fluctuations which result in dead fish. It should be between 180-240 ppm.

Gh is a measure of all dissolved salts in the water and should be between 160-320 ppm.

Hope that clears things up.

Your pics are great. Fantastic looking fish :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

my cloudy water improved by around 50% overnight. great news ! to celebrate i added some red zebra's who are absolutely right at home immediately.

here's a bit of a setup shot with the tank and everything in the cabinet.

eheim 2260 in the middle

aquaone ar126 tank on right which will be my quarantine tank when needed.

IPB Image

thanks. will keep all of the advice in mind.

There is a big difference between the knowledge of an aquarium employee, and the advice you will get from senior members of this forum.

Remember when you were young and your parents told you not to do something, but you did it anyway and it turned out for the worse? well consider the senior members of the forum alot like your parents, they know whats best.

Think of the aquarium employees like your teenage friends (of that time) they dont really care once you leave, they made their money.

Good luck either way.

Keep adding some Bio starter.

You obviously need more bacteria in that tank.

That will stop the cloudiness from coming and going.

Also KH is your most important friend. Get that right and then you get your Ph right. Then you keep your fish happy and healthy.

By the way the tank looks brilliant. :clap

You have gone to a lot of trouble and I think that it is beautifull.

Take a bit more time with your bacteria and filtration and you will perfect it.

Good luck.

Archived