Post Pics of Your Tattoo Here

Ben Eatoff

The line work on that tentacle in the 3rd pic looks a lil shakey.. Pretty big man, 1st tattoo is almost going to be a half sleeve... How did it feel? Did you like the buzz? :thumb

Should look pretty sweet once all the colour goes in and its finalized.... Keep us updated... :thumbup:

Pretty much all of it was freehand, just drawn on then tattooed over. I doubt you'll notice anything once the lines are thickened up and shading added. I did a LOT of research, talked to lots of tattooists and people with tattoos. I decided on Nick because of his natural talent and experience (and the work I've seen of his on others).

The pain wasn't very pleasant, but nowhere near as bad as I'd expected. More an annoyance than real pain. Kind of like someone scratching you with a sharp fingernail for too long in one spot <_< . I found if you zoned out and thought about other stuff, the pain was nowhere near as bad.

I guess I'll eventually get the other arm done, just to even things up, but might leave it until I visit the USA next year and see what sort of artist I can find in LA or San Fran.

I'll post an update in a fortnight. :thumb

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The line work on that tentacle in the 3rd pic looks a lil shakey.. Pretty big man, 1st tattoo is almost going to be a half sleeve... How did it feel? Did you like the buzz? :thumb

Should look pretty sweet once all the colour goes in and its finalized.... Keep us updated... :thumbup:

Pretty much all of it was freehand, just drawn on then tattooed over. I doubt you'll notice anything once the lines are thickened up and shading added. I did a LOT of research, talked to lots of tattooists and people with tattoos. I decided on Nick because of his natural talent and experience (and the work I've seen of his on others).

The pain wasn't very pleasant, but nowhere near as bad as I'd expected. More an annoyance than real pain. Kind of like someone scratching you with a sharp fingernail for too long in one spot <_< . I found if you zoned out and thought about other stuff, the pain was nowhere near as bad.

I guess I'll eventually get the other arm done, just to even things up, but might leave it until I visit the USA next year and see what sort of artist I can find in LA or San Fran.

I'll post an update in a fortnight. :thumb

Yeah these types of pieces tend to be done free hand as stenciling a tattoo like that is very difficult to get right on the contours of your arm.. Im sure once its FINISHED it will be a stunning tatt mate. Already looks great..

I was considering adding an extra element where the third tentacle ends (the unfinished one), as it's a bit of an empty space.

Excuse the dodgy photoshopping, but it's just for a basic idea for Nick.

I'd like that space filled with a crab claw, as if the octo was trying to pull out a crab from within a hole.

Opinions?

IPB Image

the suspense up to the tattoo was the annoying bit when i got mine done.. i was expecting alot of pain. but when your there its really not as painful as it seems.

like Vis said, if you zone out and think about something else the time flies and next thing you know its finished.

i have a dragon that starts from my shoulder down to my chest and i got to admit that i was in major pain when he was doing the tail which went around the brown bit of my nipple.

i had to call it a day after that, this was around 2 years ago...

after seeing this post come back up i think i might go get the scales and shading done this sunday....

I'll join the boat.....

I had mine done about 2 months ago. It took 4 and a half hours and i have had a couple of touch ups done. The "annoying" pain and buzzing was well worth it though...couldn't ask for a better result.

The guys at STR Body Mods at Wyong are awesome. Zane did the job very well.....he's a champion!! :thumb

IPB Image

IPB Image

I was considering adding an extra element where the third tentacle ends (the unfinished one), as it's a bit of an empty space.

Excuse the dodgy photoshopping, but it's just for a basic idea for Nick.

I'd like that space filled with a crab claw, as if the octo was trying to pull out a crab from within a hole.

Opinions?

IPB Image

Personally i would leave it out and get the shading and colour finished on the octopus first,let it all settle and see how it looks/you like it, the claw can be added later if still desired, but in saying this,it's your ink,your the one that has to wear it so the ultimate decision really is up to you,screw what others think.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few updated pics. Another 3 hours of slooooow progress. The water has 4 different shades of blue in it, so each one had to be done separately and blended. The missing bits within the water will eventually be white, giving the water a shiny reflection look. The lower edges of the water will have a bit of yellow in them to give the impression of a light shining from below.

I was hoping 6 hours (two sittings) would have been enough to have it finished, but it's looking like another 4 or so hours to go yet....

There's scope to add more globules of water down the track, but I'll wait and see if the red and oranges of the tentacles evens it out.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Andy,

I have to say that the shading and use of the various colours in your tattoo is a sight to behold. The unusual design you've chosen also adds to the appeal. Your tattooist is doing a fantastic job.

Cheers.

Thanks for the comments :)

I'm stoked with the results so far.

I have a question for everyon though: Waht colour should I get the tentacles and suckers done in? I'm keen on red and orange in the upper part of the tentacles, but can't decide on a good colour for the suckers.

i think the suckers would look good a lighter shade red to what the tentacles will be or maybe orange.

hey vis! Nice tattoo, excellent colour and everything!

Where abouts are you going?

In terms of colour, i think a nice red/yellow/orange could be nice.

Otherwise theres always the alternative - green....

Traditional styles of red and orange for the tentacles will be good i think,a nice contrast to the colours that you aleady have..

Here is a pic of my patriotic tattoo.

This photo was taken about half an hour after being finished, hence the redness. This was two and a half hours under the needle done buy jason at Golden Needle Tattoo in Blacktown Sydney.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll306/B.../LukesTatoo.jpg

It is an Australian Stockman holding his saddle in one hand with his other hand an his hat, standing in front of his flag. The desighn is of a one off belt buckle i had made.

• 3 weeks later...

Well another 3 hours in the chair today and it's still not finished :cryblow:

He tells me 2 more will have it done :roll

Just some shadowing and highlights to go, plus a few more small holes if there is time.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Already thinking about what to get on the other side.....

The other problem is where to get it done...shoulders are out .... Arms are out as even though they look good, they would hinder any future job opportunities etc.

So not looking at any employment in the future? :p

Stop living in the past..... :p

Plus when I said that I meant a full arm sleeve. Mine can be hidden with a short shirt sleeve.

• 1 month later...

Another couple of hours today and it's finished (or very close to it). I'm not planning on going back for any more work, but when I go back in a few months for any required touch ups, I might decide there is a dimple or two, or some highlights that could be added or improved. My tattoo artist thinks that the tentacles could be improved further by adding some texture to them (maybe a heap of small purple dimples).

Anyway, I'm very happy with the result.

IPB Image

Archived