Time for some new Tropheus variants

Nigel

Guys there is well over 140 locations of Trophues and they find new ones all the time. Will Lufubu are nice ( no offence Aline :wub ) there are a lot of Tropheus just as good if not better.

I would like to be able to bring a lot of variants as they become available. :) So save up your money buy more tanks and lets get 100s of Tropheus variants into Aust. :lol3:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nigel...which tropheus is your favourite variant of all time? Can u post some pics of examples of other variants u can get that are outstanding in colour?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Nigel, I am thinking of getting another colony soon, (6x2x2 tank arrives in 4 weeks) So maybe a nice new years present for me..

What can you think of or have pics of that may be of interest, I was thinking of getting a colony of yellowish Trophs, ie Ilangi, or Nkonde, kuzumba but these are all here, if i can get something different it would be even better.... any sugestions?

Also what sort of prices do the germans, wildcaughts usually go for?

I dont have a favourite. What about Muzi, Murago yellow or Brichardi canary cheek (kabimba). At times a lot of different ones go on the stock lists. As for price wild caught 8-11cm depending on location could be between $65-$80 each.

I know i said to post only tropheus that u have in your tank but since there have been no more pic posted here for a while now here are a few that Nigel thinks are pretty!

Come on guys, get a WC colony and start breeding them here in Oz!

Here is a pic of a Tropheus Murago (however, not the yellow one that Nigel mentioned) obtained from Fredrik Hagblom site:

user posted image

Here are 2 pics from the Cichlid-forum with their respective photographers/owners on the photos:

Tropheus Muzi

user posted image

Tropheus Kabimba

user posted image

Enjoy!

Dave

Nigel, the pic you posted shows a great fish but in looking through a lot of photos labelled as the same thing, many dont look as good i.e. photo 1 and photo 2. Is the pictured fish with the white face and bars representative of the variant or is it the exception to the rule?

Also, got a pic of the Murago yellow variant?

-Mat-

I have had the Mpimbwe's myself years ago. They look like all the ones in the photos that you have posted. The photo I put up is by Ad Konings I think so I understand from overseas suppliers that this is the one from Kabimba.

If you have a look at Konings book Back to Nature Guide to Tanganyika Cichlids on page 112 you will see what I am talking about.

Well Dave my information from people that have been doing this longer than me is that the link you put up is Mpimbwe. dntknw.gif I guess I will just have to bring some from Africa and we can all have a look.

sounds like a plan to me. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nigel...i am not doubting your expertise since u r virtually the father of Tropheus here in Sydney!!!! :lol3: But i think u should bring a few specimens of each so we can be sure that you are correct! :lol2:

Here is another "kabimba"

IPB Image

And a Mpimbwe:

IPB Image

Dave

I tracked the Chaitika (I am Guessing Jims), down to someone in melbourne and couldnt get a reply out of them dntknw.gif So I dont know if I got the right place or some-one thought I was stalking them shock.gif

Check out the two Tropheus sp. Mpimbwe's they have listed on cichlid-forum as well as the Tropheus brichardi mpimbwe dntknw.gif

Here is a LINK to Carl Elkind Kabimba's spawning and in the video they seem to have yellow cheeks and a small white dot near the middle-back of the gill plate. I dont know that are Canary cheeks and I am guessing they are the same fish he posted photos of on cichlid-forum

Also can someone let me know if Tropheus sp Mpimbwe nd Tropheus brichardi Mpimbwe are the same fish. I am guessing they are if you go by the photos on cichlid-forum dntknw.gif

Josh

Josh...i think u are right about them being sold to someone in Melbourne, i think Jim mentioned it once. Would be nice to hear from the current owners to see if they look more impressive now.

I remember a few months back u were looking for some Canary yellow cheeks. Do u still want them? I am sure Nigel could get some for u now. We would luv to see the real thing in the flesh in Oz. But u also have some Brichardi kipili. Is it true they are more aggressive than other tropheus variants?

I wouldn't mind a colony of mpimbwe if they look as good as the ones in the above pics!!

Jebe...those Trophs look amazing, almost evil, like gashes on the gills! Do u have any tropheus at the moment?

Dave

I am planning to get some Canary cheeks in the middle of next year when the rooms is finishad and I have some bills paid off. Hopefully they dont get here before then.

I have a few Kipilli. I would say they are more aggresive then the moorii, but i only had a few to start with and now only have two and they live in different tanks because they cant be together. They didnt like a big tank when there was only four fish and they couldn't live together in anything smaller wink.gif.Hopefully the next group of brichardi I get will be alot larger and it should help them get along. They will get a new tank in the new room but I would trully love to get the Canary cheeks.

I have four tanks in the new room set aside for tropheus so we will have to wait and see what comes here in the next 12 months.

Can't wait till I get my first Tropheus in a couple of weeks. Woohoo! thumbup.gif

Great banter there guys. This thread is such a great read. I don't have any room for more tanks so I can't really contribute. I would love to hear about Livuas though if anyone knows of their availability. I have only seen them in a pic once and they were bloody fantastic smile.gif .

Keep it goin',

Jamie.

Josh...great to hear that u haven't given up on those cheeky canaries!! Would luv to visit your tanks next year when everything is completed! I for one, would luv to see some new variants hit our shores in the next year or so! I know u guys are trying your best to satisfy our hunger for new troph variants. Hats off to Nigel for getting them at fair prices!

FrontyKing (Nick)....I hope u get some good quality tropheus soon and so then we can officially welcome you to the Tropheus club! thumbup.gifwink2.gif

Jamie...u r so obsessed with these Livua! I feel another colony coming on! U know u want it mate! woot.gif

Here are some photos of 3 different Brichardi i found on a Polish site at Akwafoto.

Troph. Kabimba

user posted image

Troph. Kipili

user posted image

Troph. Mpimbwe

user posted image

Can u tell the differences?

Come on guys, keep posting!

Dave

G'day Dave,

They just looked so good mate! Someone posted some pics on cichlid-forum and they were just fantastic. I really like the look of Chimbas too. Hopefully Jim can post up pics or give us some info on the Chimbas that he used to have. By the way, I really like that pic of Jim's old Chatikas.

Hopefully Nigel can shed some light on types of Tropheus he has at his fingertips.

Keep postin',

Jamie smile.gif .

The list of Tropheus on stock list overseas is huge. I do have Ndole on order from Africa for a breeder here.

I have a list of Tropheus available from Toby Veall in Zambia that has to be seen to be believed. It looks like I may be importing from him soon so who know's what might be available. smile.gif

Archived