Time for some new Tropheus variants

Nigel

ED: at 162 posts and 2813 views does this post hold any records....yet..?
I dont think I've read any 12 page threads before

I reckon that it is almost time for those who deal with such things to create us a dedicated subforum on tropheus like there is for the dwarfs thumbup.gif Judging by this thread there are enough of us trophiophiles out there, and aren't we a talkative bunch.

Jebe..still have no idea what tropheus variant that is!

wasn't this photo the subject of another thread a while ago where it was decided to be a petrochromis x something else? I had a quick squiz for the thread but couldnt find it dntknw.gif

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jebe....u have found great tropheus pics! Those gingerbread tropheus sounds like a good idea for our first official tropheus club meeting! All we need to find is someone to bake them! LOL.gif

I luv the first pic, looks like Golden Kazumba - will try to get some WC shipped over by Nigel ASAP!!! Also like that bizarre looking Brichardi - I think Josh would luv these!

Are u able to give us a hint about what tropheus u will be getting?

That chilanga-Nkamba is a cracker Jebe. I reckon I'd line up for a few of those babies. Nigel, do your know if the Chilanga on Tobys list the Chilanga "red" that I found a pic of, or the Chilanga "Nkamba Bay" in Jebes photo (the non-baked ones)?

Golden Kalambo OB - only a mother could luv this one or maybe Josh!!!

Yes Dave. I will have an OB morph before I meet my maker

Jebe

That kipampa looks nice. The way things are going I might have to only keep the Brichardi group.

I guess I will be the club member that keeps the ugly fish no-one else wants hug.gif

I will second the idea for a specialized sub-forum for tropheus freaks

"Tantalizing Tropheus"

yes.gifyes.gif

Josh

That Kipampa looks unreal. I love the bright canary yellow that some Brichardi variants have.

Hey Dave, that Moop pic you posted a link to is beautiful. I would be lying if I said mine were that beautiful yet, they'll get there though smile.gif .

I'll give you an update on my fry situation. I have 8 that are growing nicely, they are about 2 months old. I have another 3 that are a few days old and are doing great. I have 25 adults and plan to keep fry until my colony reaches a total of 40 fish. That brings my grand total to 36 fish, another 4 to go and then it will be time for me to start finding homes for them. Oh yeah, I have a couple of females holding at the moment. Don't forget to drop Jim a line if you want some, that's where I got mine, I know most of you know that.

I wonder when this thread will run out of steam, hopefully no time soon smile.gif .

Seeya legends,

Jamie.

Matt

You raised the point of why there is very little difference in shape but large variations in colour. Andrea I liked the explanation of of boundaries overlapping and that leading to variations in colour. clap.gif

There is also the possibility that the colour variations are caused by the "Founder Effect". This is where a small population, which could just include a single male and a single female, were able to travel over the sandy stretch to colonise a new rocky outcrop. Even over a short period of time this single pair would have been able to populate the new area before other individuals joined this group. The inbreeding from such a restricted gene pool would increase the probability of colour variations over the probability of changes in physical characteristics. As more fish from the original population were able to move across the open sand the increased gene pool would cement the physical characteristics but allow for the colour variation to take hold.

I would be interested if the southern end of the lake was inundated by water at a later stage than the northern end which lead to new outcrops becoming available for colonisation over time which lead to more Tropheus variants.

PS. Should we now move this post into the Cichlid discussion rather than the Photography forum?

Hey Ged, I reckon your theory may have some truth in it, thanks for posting it.

Sort of like a natural version of discus breeders isolating a characteristic and then crossing back to wilds like heckels to cement it and strengthen the new strain.

PS. Should we now move this post into the Cichlid discussion rather than the Photography forum?

Like I said, just make a whole new sub-forum for it LOL.gif Tantalizing Tropheus sounds good to me Josh.

Josh...i think u are the one chosen to keep and breed the Brichardi variants since not many are kept here in Oz. The more i look at them, the more i am tempted to get another tank to keep them in. I wish my wife was more understanding of my special needs! sad.gif

I have an idea....maybe we can have a collective massive fishroom where we can maintain and breed different variants of tropheus where each member needs to pay a monthly fee for upkeep. I will be like a Tropheus aquarium or museum. U will be allowed to view all the different tropheus variants and people like Nigel or Aline could conduct guided tours! Fry produced can be sold at reasonable prices and we would devote some time doing daily upkeep on a roster or shift basis? I don't know if anything like this will work but i guess i am only dreaming!!! OK, i admit i am crazy!!! woot.gif

Ged...i have noticed u have taken an interest in this forum. I was so afraid u will shut this topic down since it is going off topic. Is it too much to ask for a Tropheus subforum that exists in other forums like Cichlid-forum. I guess it will lead to people asking for Frontosa or Featherfin forums!! wink2.gif But will we have enough people interested in keeping it open and interesting?

I always thought it was unlikely that all the different variants of tropheus came by chance but it was more likely that some natural crossbreeding must have occurred! Imagine this didn't occur, then we will have pitch black tropheus!!! I guess some people will like them?

Archived