Cichlids in their "natural" habitat....

ViS

They've definitely got a similiar fighting action (being similarly shaped fish) but IMO the extra thickness of the tilapia equates to bigger 'thuds' on the rod. I guess it's all very subjective though.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to ask if i went to the lake and caught some of these cichlids am i allowed to keep them and put them in a display tank or is it against the law :dntknw:

I caught big Tilapia in North QLD in February and there is no way I would have said they fight better than an equal sized bream?

Heaps of fun though, and certainly something different. Spoke to a few people who reckoned the Tilapia are a good feed too, so we gave them ours, I just couldn't bring myself to do it when there was fresh barra on offer :lol4:

barra = most overrated fish EVER!

Just wanted to ask if i went to the lake and caught some of these cichlids am i allowed to keep them and put them in a display tank or is it against the law

Dont know if there legal to take home but you need a fishing liscence to fish there, people do take live ones from there all the time though, the Zebra's make good feeders for those of us with larger predatory fish. ;)

I've heard of was in an impoundment in QLD where they knew some tilapia were introduced, they poisoned the waterway and up floated something like 12 tonne of cichlids!

The lake is poisoned regualry im told, it doesnt really have alot of effect though, they dont want to use anything too nasty because people waterski and jetski etc on the lake.

Cheers Andy

I caught big Tilapia in North QLD in February and there is no way I would have said they fight better than an equal sized bream?

Heaps of fun though, and certainly something different. Spoke to a few people who reckoned the Tilapia are a good feed too, so we gave them ours, I just couldn't bring myself to do it when there was fresh barra on offer :lol4:

barra = most overrated fish EVER!

No way dude! Fresh, WILD, SALTWATER barra is superb!

It is by no means the BEST fish to eat but it stopped me wanting to eat Tilapia all the same.

And no the barra and Tilapia weren't from the same pocket of water but they are pretty close to each other.

Andy (phatsocarlover): They only partially poison the lake?! Sounds like a serious waste of time and resources to me! Sounds like only half curing small pox!

"Well we've killed it a bit, lets come back and kill it some more later when it's bigger, stronger and immune!"

Cheers

Mick

Hey Mick, i never said they partially poison the lake, i said they dont want to you use anything too nasty in it because people use it for recreational stuff aswell. ;) I agree that its farily half-assed but i presume it is too keep the numbers down, im not sure they could wipe them all out without using anything that would endanger the recreational users :thumb

Cheers Andy

• 5 months later...

This is an incredible thread!

I'm now living in Melbourne, looking for a house around the Latrobe Bundoora campus. I'm so going to go have a look down there soon, this is incredible!

Does anyone mind if I cut and paste some of the info from this thread and put it up on my forum? (www.tassiecichlids.com) I'd really like to show the other Tassie Cichlid keepers some of this!

Cheers,

Pete.

Yeah, fair call! A lot of them already are already members here VIS! ;-)

It's tricky when links don't work if you are not a registered member here... Is it okay if I just take some of the info and re-type it into a thread on my forum??? I will not use any of the photos, just the directions and explanation. Of course this site will have full credit mentioned!

Cheers,

Pete.

Great shots Vis. I have seen some of the X-Bred Africans before, A shop in Melb (shall unnamed) sold them to a shop here in Hobart a few years back as BB Zebra, When we got them, we wernt all that impressed. We were then told that they had come out of Hazelwood.

Awesome thread BTW, Cred goes to Pete for linking to here.

I have been a member here for a while but havent posted, Too busy with my own forum and all the other ones I visit, But I shall have a good look around as Pete & Will think highly of this forum.

Cheers

Aquatic Dreams™

• 3 months later...

Even if you could somehow totally eradicate all these fish somehow, it wouldnt be long before someone put some more or something else exotic back in. Possibly even some of the anglers who are used to catching such colourful fish for their kids might. Exotic fish in Hazelwood are there to stay.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to rehash an old thread here. but i figure some of the newer members would be interested. Also are there still fish in there living in sydney kinda makes getting there a bit harder then i like but i MAY be down in that direction soon, and would like to checl it out if it is still worth a trip.

Just wondering can you keep the fish you catch there?

some of those devils are stunning i have seenthem in a tank that colour but only because the water was very dark

My understanding is that the cichlids that have been introduced to Victorian waters are declared "noxious fish" in Victoria and as such can not be taken home live. They are to be treated the same way as carp.

This has not stopped people doing so and I have seen them advised for sale on the odd occasion.

Looks like a fun holiday / research into what species and a gustimation at avg amount of each species in the pondage to be - maybe the cichlid societies could conduct some research into this?

Does anyone know of any similar places in sydney or nsw? I heard rumours but never followed them up, you can pm me if you wish not to mention locations openly. I would be interested in doing abit of personal research into the different species and the numbers around

haha i say we set up a trauling device on a boat and go have some fun!, see what kind of sweeet monsters we could pull from the deep, maybe some arowana and stuff =]

Archived