Cichlids in their "natural" habitat....

ViS

Next time someone complains about fish being banned then refer to this thread!

Thanks for the pics, a real eye opener.

BUT the solution is so easy. A one week blackout in the middle of winter! thumbup.gif (joking of course)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No it's definitely at the pond. Here's another pic I took showing the power station in the background:

user posted image

Thanks Andy for sharing your trip with us:) I loved the pics too. Now, you dont' have to travel all the way down to Africa LOL.gif It would be cool to set up underwater cameras and observe the cichlids in the lake.

If the lake was artificially created and also heated then we can look at it as a giant backyard pond.

On Margaret Island in Budapest there is an artificial pond that is heated from underground thermal springs. The hot water is mixed with water from the Danube River and the temperature is a constant 28C. I used to hang around there looking at the fishes in the lake. There were gold fish, convicts, mollies, platys, swordtails and even tropical turtles in the lake. You couldn't do fishing in the lake, but there was an outflow to the Danube River were the mesh that supposed to hold the tropical fishes back from escaping to the river was sometimes broken. We netted some fishes there and one of my mate took them home to his fish tank. Any fish that escaped from the pond faced certain death from the temperature change, especially in winter when the river often got frozen.

Roland

that convict looks awesome. what could it possible cross breed with? i've never heard of convicts cross breeding with anything..... but perhaps i'm wrong.

zebras and devils on the other hand there are many species of, so cross breeding is almost a definate there.

anyway, being a melbournian, i must go there one day and have a look round. perhaps catch me some display convicts....

I'd be wary putting anything caught from an uncontrolled environment in a display tank. If you introduce a disease from a $2 convict, you'd be pretty upset sad.gif

I agree with Andy. You could introduce some disease in your tank and wipe all your other display fishes. When I was young I put some small native fishes that some friends caught in my display tank and they wiped out all my other fishes. On the other hand you have the same issue with all the wild caught Malawis and Tanganyikan cichlids as well. Wild caught fishes need to be quaranteened, before you mix them with your other fishes. In fact all new fishes that you introduce in your existing tanks supposed to be quaranteened whether they are coming from the shops or from other breeders, but not many of us do that, do we smile.gif

Andy, was that convict bluish rather than grey or was it just the photo effect?

I live close to Hazelwood Pondage and I am still suprised about how must interest their is on what fish are in there. Being a local I didn't know that there were any Red Devils etc. in there until I got involved in the Hobby and reading these forums, I thought all that was in there were carp. So I did end up going fishing there a few times now, even though other people were I live thought I was a bit crazy. So caught a few Red Devils and others. After seeing this posting I was a bit disappointed that we didn't catch any Zebras, maybe next time.

Just an idea of the lake.

It is murky, probably from the tilapia stirring up the clay or detritus, dirt or mud. The temperature I found to be in the high 20s. This is freaky considering it was 19 degrees last time I went.

Yes, definitely an unnatural settings. The surrounding waters are very very cold in comparison. So the chance of an exotic species spreading is like finding discus or electric yellows in our rivers down here in Victoria (could happen! I want the discus. Me! Me!)

Also, you will find that people fishing know absolutely nothing about the lake. If people actually bothered to look, there was a warning sign about a crocodile (large) in the lake. However those country folks are skimping on funds so only have one sign. When I went there, we made sure to only fish near rocks and with a few people.

Here is the picture of the warning sign. Be wary!

user posted image

Cheers,

Vien.

Archived