Cichlids in their "natural" habitat....

ViS

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was living in Victoria, the rumours about piranha in the pondage were plentiful. Obviously they weren't just rumours. This was around 2000 btw.

Andrea smile.gif

our own jewel of the rift

JEWEL OF THE POWER STATION lol dry.gif

wouldnt mind going down their one day when i have sometime if only i had time to spare

will be down in melbourne at the end of the year so ill be down their then fingers x'ed their is still a few snags left from the BBQ

• 3 months later...

Holy crap, I had no idea there was anything like this in the country let alone VIC... (Sheltred pristine Tassie hey!)

That is on one hand cool to think that they are surviving here...

On the other it is really damn scary! What if they evolve to handle the low temperatures of our waterways? Scary thought...

Anyway, cool pics!

Do you get any big ones, or just little guys???

It'd be cool if (as said by another member) you could go fishing for big brutes like Dovi, Jags or Red Terrors in there!!! :-)

Cheers, what an amazing thread, I have learned a lot today!

Pete.

P.S. Is it ok if I link this thread on my forum? I think the crew on HCS would love to see this! :-)

That us awsome, i wish i lived closer to the pond id love to go, i love cichlids and i love fishing, now this pond can put the two hobby together lol. Those fish looks great. Keep this wild caught photos comming lol

Cheers

Astric

Andy, great photos!

I think the main problem with introducing predacious Australian natives into the pond would be the natives getting a foothold due to the massive population of highly aggressive fish already established there! The fingerlings wouldn't stand a chance.

IMO The best way to rid the pond of these fish would be high intensity electrofishing, turn the power right up and patrol the shore lines killing the medium sized cichlids, this would lead to a gap in the food chain which could break the cycle....

(They found that a lot of fish that had been electrofished actually died a short time later as their vertebrae had been broken due to them convulsing when shocked :|)

Either that or fill the dam up with clove oil (benzocaine) and let all the unconscious fish float down into the cold water (a highly practical solution! :p )

What is the possibility of super predators (other than said croc) inhabiting the pondage? Maybe a spot of livebaiting would be in order?! (waits for the flames to start)

Cheers

Mick

Mick there has been reports of larger predatory cichlids holding in deeper rocky dropoffs, ie. dovii, but that hasn't been backed up with any real proof to my knowledge.

Not sure about any natives or anything else.

Electro fishing would get alot but not make a dent in the population there would be too many now.

You would have to let the water get cold for a period of time, that would do them.

I think if you did it consistantly you'd make an impact. I'm not talking about stunning them and netting them I'm saying kill them straight up with the electricity!

I guess you'd be faced with a pretty toxic waterway after that if you didn't net them straight up...

But you're probably right, the only thing like this I've heard of was in an impoundment in QLD where they knew some tilapia were introduced, they poisoned the waterway and up floated something like 12 tonne of cichlids! :shock:

Ducks, might be worth chucking a livie out the back ALL IN THE NAME OF RESEARCH! :p

Cheers

Mick

Mate that would certainly be the first thing I did when I got there ;)

Even the devils, there's got to be some big ones in there somewhere!!

Shame they don't school up at adult size, imagine casting light gear with little soft plastics at schools of devils, like you would in schools of bream under oyster racks!

Mate that would certainly be the first thing I did when I got there ;)

Even the devils, there's got to be some big ones in there somewhere!!

Shame they don't school up at adult size, imagine casting light gear with little soft plastics at schools of devils, like you would in schools of bream under oyster racks!

We've caught 40+cm tilapia up here in the dams on light gear and plastics, and yes cichlids do fight better than bream :lol3: They take hardbodied lures aswell and it's a really interesting sight to pull up a male in full breeding dress!

I caught big Tilapia in North QLD in February and there is no way I would have said they fight better than an equal sized bream?

Heaps of fun though, and certainly something different. Spoke to a few people who reckoned the Tilapia are a good feed too, so we gave them ours, I just couldn't bring myself to do it when there was fresh barra on offer :lol4:

Archived