Opinions on Veil-tail Oscars

Sooty

I think they look terrible, but that is just me. Others obviously love the look as someone has linebred it into them. My albino oscar, Hank thinks they look bad too. He killed 10 of them overnight in a shop when he was 2 inches long (about 5 years ago), and therefore ended up as a bachelor in one of my tanks the next day laugh.gif

They aren't hybrids as far as I know, so ACE can't really have a problem with people selling them.

They look and swim like those mongy goldfish with the long fins.

They don't look nice fully grown, I've seen it. I think they're ugly, there is nothing wrong with the original oscar model tongue.gif

But, that being said, just because they're ugly doesn't mean ACE should have a problem with them. By that logic, ACE would have a problem with half the users on this forum, including me!!! wink.gif

i dont have a huge problem with them ,i just think its sad to see americans hybridized,its getting harder and harder to get decent quality fish,a friend of mine had albino oscars and they didnt grow as big as the mark 1 model so im with blakey on this

just an aside would people have a problem with veil tail mbuna-damn right they would shock.gif

Are they hybrids or are they line breed.

I dont like the idea of changing a fish's appearence away from the natural form, and I think this should be enforced on ACE and through cichlid societies in Australia. We have a limited number of bloodlines as it is

They are line-bred from aquarium strain oscars, which are probably hybrids dating back from before any difference was noted in species (like electric blues, red devils, angel's and discus)

I personally don't like the look of them, but I have no more problem with them than I do with blues, angels, discus and red devils.

Im personally not a fan of veiltails, but what is the difference from breeding Fronties and demosoni with perfect stripes, Apistogramma cacatoides with more red in the the fins, Discus of different colours or an oscar with longer fins? You can't rule one out without looking at all line bred fish.

They arent my favourite but as long as I plan to line breed fish that I consider looking nice or better I'm not going to put someone else down for breeding something the way they like it. That is as long as its not hybridized or haphardous to the fish.

Adam

Well as some people may know, I have a thing for fish with veil-tails/filaments.

Though veil-tail oscars have never done it for me. I guess oscars all round don't either. I will admit that someone has obviously gone to a lot of effort to line-breed the veil-tail oscar but they don't do it for me. And i don't have anything against them.

dntknw.gif Each to their own (If it's not a hybrid!)

Cameron.

EDIT: Spelling as usual. dry.gifLOL.gif

I dont like the idea of changing a fish's appearence away from the natural form, and I think this should be enforced on ACE and through cichlid societies in Australia.

So why the obsession with straight bars (frontosa, demasoni, zebra, ...)?

Cheers,

Im personally not a fan of veiltails, but what is the difference from breeding Fronties and demosoni with perfect stripes, Apistogramma cacatoides with more red in the the fins, Discus of different colours or an oscar with longer fins? You can't rule one out without looking at all line bred fish.

They arent my favourite but as long as I plan to line breed fish that I consider looking nice or better I'm not going to put someone else down for breeding something the way they like it. That is as long as its not hybridized or haphardous to the fish.

Adam

I agree Adam smile.gif

I dont like the idea of changing a fish's appearence away from the natural form, and I think this should be enforced on ACE and through cichlid societies in Australia.

So why the obsession with straight bars (frontosa, demasoni, zebra, ...)?

Cheers,

I dont have an obsession no.gif

Archived