Discussion on WHITE KNIGHTS

monlunn

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kept these for a while and there's no chance of mixing up fry with normal EB's. They really are a stunning fish, the males get better round the 8cm mark. I don't know if they are a hybrid or not? All mine had black eyes suggesting they may be line bred.

Mon's pics look a much more "blue shape" than the fish I have seen pics of from overseas.

They are also lacking the pure black eye.

The fish are very attractive but considering the amount of diversity in fish I have seen being flogged as "White Knight", it's hard to not conclude they would have to be hybrids?

certainly nothing like the white knight that bootsnall has either.

as for that link, i think its as dodgy too andy, a black eyed albino? seems like the pot is calling the kettle very black when they say the white knights are also crossed.

As a reference electic blues are the only thing we can go by. IMO the head shape is not right (rounded) and the body is too broad. You could go by jacksoni which has a broader body but I still believe the shape is wrong. I thought that it was clear that this fish was line bred in Florida but how do you get a white line bred fish from a clearly blue fish and especially one that has only recently surfaced. All the photos look wrong to me compared to any Sciaenochromis sp.

I'll personally jot this one down with the crossed Dimi strigatus that we have kicking around and just not touch them!! not that I am right but more that I dont want anything to do with farming them out.

Just my 2c worth

Chuck smile.gif

I've had a few private emails from members I won't name that tell me the fry are not all identical, with marked differences in shape and colour.

I'm not saying their word is gospel, but they claim to have seen the fry or have kept the fish in the past and noticed it, so I'm simply passing on information.

I still haven't been able to determine which type they are talking about, but as we can see from the above thread, there are colour and shape differences amongst the fish all called White Knights. The ones John has are albino, and the other ones from Mon and Boots are simply a lighter shade of blue.

Look Guy's,

You can argue till the cow's come home but I can tell you for a fact it is not a hybrid or a cross or anything else. That white thing with the black eye's is definately not one either. The white knight gene is a recessive gene of the electric blue ( a true!!!!! electric blue will every now and a gain throw this fish ) How do I know this because I have a mate that has a pair of true electric blues that do it. Lets face it how many true electric blues would be left out there. Just because they may be blue does not mean they are pure. If they are pure they should through back to this recessive gene. So yes to answer your question you do need to line breed to an extent because if you don't the recessive gene will disappear, due to the amount of electric blues out there that are not electric blues.

MOnique Lunn

Monlunn you can tell us for a fact untill the cows come home, bu t I really dont see how you have clarified anything here. Yours is an observastion based on a single pair of fish. Your 'opinion' also contradicts some very experienced fishkeepers, and while not necesarily wrong, unless you created this fish, you simly cannot be as sure as you sound. wink2.gif .

Mrseby has some valid points...

Cheers,

Jason

I hope i have not caused to much trouble with the WHITE KNIGHTS my lfs has some now and i have a mate who works there pointed them out on bayfish shop list.I thought they may become a popular with people but as i see mixed emotions.

Well I gues we will have to agree to disagree I know exactly where mine have come from, it's just such a shame you guy's can't see past that. What do I achieve by lying ?...... I have a little more belief in myself than that. Just because you are an experienced fish keeper doesn't mean you can't keep learning and seeing. Anyone that thinks they know it all are simply naive I guess. In this hobby/industry you will never stop learning, there are too many unknowns!!!!!

Monique Lunn

only on ACE will aquarium hobbyists become so fired up about whether a fish is a X or not. Is Aus the bitchy fish nation of the world? I think so.

I am yet to see any of this almost dog like fighting on any other fish board... This is why all us catfish and tankbuster folk laugh at you african groupies so much... ;) hush for now.. ;)

Alex

Anyone that thinks they know it all are simply naive I guess. In this hobby/industry you will never stop learning, there are too many unknowns!

footinmouth.png My point exactly. I am not accusing you of lying. We cannot take your word for it. You have to PROVE it.

Alex, thanks for adding nothing intelligent to the thread rolleyes.gif

Monique, if you know the history of the fish and exactly where they came from (as you obviously must going by your comments), then please reveal all that you know. It's fine to say you can prove it's a true species, but words without facts to back it up don't look so good.

You have the opportunity here to prove that your fish are the real deal, so I suggest you do so wink2.gif

Well the discussion rages on whether these fish are the real deal or not. You are yet to have your superior intelligence shine through the murkey water that surrounds this fish.

Enjoy keeping your African cichlids. :tongue:

this will indeed be my last post in this thread.. i just dropped by to show how foolish I really am... :wink:

if these fish turn out to be X's then i dare say that they must all suffer a painful and fiery death! we can't have any hybrids out there now can we! I have a hungry electric catfish that loves little africans. zipit.gif

You are yet to have your superior intelligence shine through the murkey water that surrounds this fish.

Maybe not, but that's because I've never kept the fish or claimed to know their history.

Thanks for acknowledging my superiority in general though smile.gif

Enjoy keeping your African cichlids.

I will, and I do! bigsmile.gif

Look Guy's,

You can argue till the cow's come home but I can tell you for a fact it is not a hybrid or a cross or anything else. That white thing with the black eye's is definately not one either. The white knight gene is a recessive gene of the electric blue ( a true!!!!! electric blue will every now and a gain throw this fish ) How do I know this because I have a mate that has a pair of true electric blues that do it. Lets face it how many true electric blues would be left out there. Just because they may be blue does not mean they are pure. If they are pure they should through back to this recessive gene.  So yes to answer your question you do need to line breed to an extent because if you don't the recessive gene will disappear, due to the amount of electric blues out there that are not electric blues.

MOnique Lunn

how do i get these white knight fish from my electric blue?.is this impossible to get white knights from mine if they are electric blues that are not born in lake malawi?

has your friend with the pair of electric blue got wildcaught ones to give a whiteknight throwback?did your white knight fish come from his pure fish?

does he have other wildcaught fish?

i wonder if alex will read this? bigsmile.gif

Nice one Vis. BTW Alex, dont forget this:

this will indeed be my last post in this thread

:lol5:

Just for you eddie. I'll post again. Looks like Andy has himself a little support groupie. Well done. Can I join the club? raisehand.gif

On a more serious note. This topic did indeed get me curious so I thought i'd do a bit of my own research. As some of you may or may not know, I am a moderator on a large american based forum (woo hoo im a mod, no really if anyone ever asks you to moderate a fish forum don't, it's like a bird feeder for idiots). I asked a couple of the local African cichlid nuts. Both of which told me that this is a hybridised species. One of which lives in Florida and has visited these 'fish farms' himself.

I know this is just more hear say, but I do indeed trust these guys with what they have said. I will try get some more conclusive evidence for you fellas...

You know I love africans Andy... they really know how to shake their booty! wink.gif

It's OK Alex, we will start our own unofficial, unlicensed Andy-fan-club.

MonLunn - if you can tell me which species they are throwbacks from, I am happy to contribute to a fund to put some of your fry under the knife and get a conclusive answer from somebody with the ability to do such an exam. And you will of course be duely compensated for the fish.

Anybody know a fish geek in Melbourne who wants to try to key out the fish to a species?

LOL.gif you're good value Alex. Predicatable perhaps, but good value none the less thumbup.gif . I knew you wouldnt be able to stay silent tongue.gif .

Thats a good thing, because you seem to be close to some answers now. It would be great if you could find out more. I dont think Monlunn is going to like what you find out though wink2.gif

Cheers,

Jason

I will add this once again !!!

Mon or anyone (please give location and sientific name of this MUTT)

Thnx

Archived