Discussion on WHITE KNIGHTS

monlunn

thumbup.gif The females I got rid of were certainly not as full in the body, they were abit narrow gutted ( not really how these guys are supposed to be ) and they had abit of a roman nose if you know what I mean. Look most people probably wouldn't have worried about it but like I said I am probably abit too fussy.

Best Regards

MOnique Lunn hug.gif

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monique, where can I (we) find some good, dependable literature on

how these guys are supposed to be
?

That way we can all be the wiser and judge for ourselves when we see your photo's.

I got 1m - 2 f from Dan P in Orange some time ago, they breed once and then i lost the male. I have been growing up the fry, now they are 5cm, I can only see one male and 9x at the moment female. Where Dan got them from??????. Yes now I've opened my mouth you will ask for pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will do some tonite. clap.gifclap.gif

blush.gif All I can suggest is searching the net. I have found literature on the net in the past prior to buying mine but that was sometime ago now, so off the top of my head I can't pluck a particular site out but there was definately sites in the past. The belief from what I've read is that the white knight has originated from the electrib blue. They beleive it's a recessive gene that has popped up from the species. But like I said alot of it is speculation because how would you really know what goes on in the lake.

Best Regards

Monique Lunn LOL.gif

user posted image

user posted image

The best pic I could get. Sorry about algae on back of tank as b-nose love it. Remember they are only 5cm. Dan called them Electic blue iceberg, maybe he can tell us more about them. thumbup.gif

thumbup.gif I think that if I can get some decent photo's you will be imressed. I think mine must be a little older as the colour on them is quite unbeleivable but I will leave it up to you guys to decide.

Best Regards

MOnique Lunn LOL.gif

My turn to throw in to this debate, firstly the "White Knight" that "Spraypakstu"

has put up is my spare male (Thanks Stu) the "White Knight" is man made from what l understand along the same lines as what Monique Lunn has said and it is not the same fish as "Ice berg".

The male in the breeding tank has even better colour with a strong orange colour in the Anal fin, the fish in the photo is in a display tank in our factory outlet where children constantly tap(at best) on the tank so l would think his colour would also improve if left a lone dry.gif

l will have fry to sell in four weeks cool.gif

No that's what I'm talking about. This is more what they look like. But like Boots said the males can be even more colourful than that.

Cheers

Come on monlunn, yesterday was photo day wink2.gif

I've been researching these guys and have found some not so complimentary info on them. I won't go into details until I find a few reliable sources though. Lets just say it looks like they originated in the Florida fish farms, where many "new" peacock and albino morphs appear from. rolleyes.gif

I hope I'm wrong cryblow.gif

not so complimentary info
? What so bad about that they are a line bred fish? it has not caused any disabilities with the fish it's self, they bred 100% pure as the parents, and they look great what more do you want from a fish?

The White Knight is one of about 20 fish in our display tank in our factory outlet and it recieves the most comments next to the Tiwan reef wub.gif and as a result is the reason most take a card for the local Aquarium(cards are on top of the tank, tank sponsor)

I heard they are a cross bred, not a line bred fish. As I said, it might be just misinformation, and I hope it is (as they are a nice looking fish), but I'll definitely be researching it further.

The Florida farms have been known to "manipulate" species in the past to produce very pretty fish, but maybe with cash in mind more than species preservation dry.gif

As long as whoever has them keeps them right away from regular EB's, there shouldn't be a problem for the time being. Once I find more info one way or the other I'll be sure to post it up here. If anyone else finds or hears more info on it, I'd love to hear about it (probably by email or PM would be better wink2.gif )

As I said, I really hope I get good news, not bad news. I'd recommend that those who keep them research the net for info as well, for their own benefit.

l will agree with you that they should be kept seperate from standard EB's (either of the two species) especially as it is not an EB, but then again everyone knows to keep their peacocks seperate too angry.gif

This fish however has nothing to do with "species preservation" and this subject would only be clouded by that veiw.

Crazyfish, Albino fish do not have black eyes.

Secondly, As far as I am concerned, the fish look alright (haven't seen any in the flesh and most pics look pretty ordinary to me) and they are, at worst (tehehehe), equally as pure as the rest of the electric blue's we have in this country, and from my vague understanding, the hobby at large, worldwide.

so why is it ok to have a possible hybrid in the form of a white knight but not a flowerhorn?

It's not ok. The difference is, that for the time being, nobody can prove conclusively that it is a crossbred fish. It may very well turn out to be a linebred variant, but more research is needed. It LOOKS like an EB in shape.

Flowerhorns are proven hybrids = no sales.

I suppose the white knight may end up falling into the same category as a marble peacock: A fish that looks every bit the original fish in shape but not in colour. This may be due to breeding the shape back into the fish after the original cross by respawning with the pure species until the offspring show the same characteristics as the parents, or it might be due to a freaky colour morph obtained through pure species breeding. The hobby is only as good as the people in it. Some people are in it for the money and others in it for the experience. It only takes a small percentage of people to make frankenfish in their back shed and release them into the market as a new species to try and reap the monetary rewards, even at the expense of the hobby.

As with the marble peacock, tangerine peacock etc, a fish may not always be as it seems.

Boots makes a good point. I can't imagine anyone who keeps the white knights would be dumb enough to keep them in the same tank (or even the same room) with normal electric blues, in case fry got mixed up.

Ducksta also raised a valid point. Because of mistakes in naming the fryeri correctly in the past, it's possible our stocks here are a mixed bag of fryeri / ahli jacksoni / psammophilus etc.

I don't think anyone should be freaking out about these white knights. I just hope that nobody takes it as gospel that they are a linebred variant and should be ok to cross back with a "wild" colour variant. Until I see proof one way or the other, I'd hope that the keepers of them are careful with the breeding and selling of them.

Why does it always come down to this !!!

(THEY ARE A BLOODY XXXXXXX)

Thats all their is to it ...i was trying to be nice and hoping people could read between the lines but nope!!!

So i will again take it on the chin !!!

These guys do not come from any region in the lake !!!!

They are from Florida!!!! fish Farms!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not line breed!!! crossbred ..simple dont look for any further details !!!!

Do what research u wan't u will not find any positive feedback or research on these mutts anywhere !!!!!they do not breed true many variations of this one fish albino not albino white, light blue, thin face fat face...etc etc albino with black eyes etc etc ..did a breeder not say (some of my females do not look right ?)

I ask what are they supposed to look like ???

The only people that have anything positive on these guys are the ones that paid top $$ for these mutts

Good luck to those who have them and those that don't beware !!!!!!!!!!! shock.gif

ooo and can anyone give me a sientific name for these guys ...hahahah woot.gif

Archived