A hot october

catcher

Just a thought for Sydney bods today,

With the exceptional temp, just how high a temp can the fish take before it all gets too much? I know they hack it when you raise the temp for medication, but the normal ambient is way over that today anyway. huh.gif

glenn

Try not to let it go over 30 if you can.

If the tanks get to 30, do a partial water change to bring the temp back down.

Other methods include floating a bottle of frozen water in the tank, or using a fan to blow across the surface of the tank or sump.

I've just got home and my tanks are a lovely 25.9 wink2.gif

Glenn

I've had tanks go up to 32 degrees without any deaths. A majority of my stock were Malawi back then. Obviously this isn't ideal as I've heard or read that people have had major losses for slightly lower temperatures.

I'm getting more worried these days especially for my shellies as I don't know how they'll handle the heat. Just going to try to keep the temps down as low as I can.

Baz - rub it in why don't you LOL.gif

Cheers

Paul

My tanks stayed below 28. I would rather see my temps at 28 than have them fluctuate 3-4 degrees an hour by constantly cooling them, then having them heat straight back up anyway. If the tank hit 30, I would probably alter my opinion though, and I did a lot of cold changes last summer.

My garage system reached 29.5 yesterday after starting at 27 degrees in the morning. I turned off all the heaters and will see were I am at tonight. I think Baz is right about doing a water change though. Hope the water in the barrel I filled up last night didnt warm up too much today! huh.gif

Josh

It got to 39 degrees today in Wollongong. Inside my house it was 34 degrees. my tanks didnt get over 29. mind you my lovely wife romved the lids and put the big fans on the tanks for me.

Gotta love the girl

Josh

I turned off all the heaters and will see were I am at tonight

Ummm.... isn't that slightly pointless ?

Unless you have very ancient heaters that don't work by a thermostat ?

My 18" tank with a trio of BNs went 32°c this afternoon ohmy.gif I put in one those freezable disks you put in eskies to keep the drinks cool.

My 3fts and 4ft went 30°c. they all got frozen peanut butter jars of water in (not so much surface area as the disks, so won't make them too cold).

Kept them down around 26°c.

It'd probably be a good idea for sydney people to have a supply of frozen floatables ready, if you haven't already.

Remember things like bags of frozen veggies for emergencies though !

Andy

for people with sumps, can't you take out an ice-cream container of water every moring & freeze it, then 24hrs later, take out another one & let the frozen one melt in the sump, then repeat daily?

Anyone see a problem with this? that's my plan to tackle the problem atm.

fans across the water surface is the best thing unless you wanna go out an get a aircon!

as for the frozen bottles of water in a tank... unless the tank is less than 4 foot you will need a lot of them, like more than 30! this is because of the latent heat of energy for water, it takes a lot of energy to heat it up or cool it down.( thats a reason animals work so well, and its used in the car!). as an idea in summer last christmas, ie 42+ i tried the bottle idea, for a 4x18x18 i had to remove 1/4 of the water, I had 10 frozen 1.25l bottles, i placed 4 in at first then replaced 2 more every 15mins, they defrostyed in about 10min. and after 1 hour the water temp droped by 2 degree....from 30,, but you have to keep doing this to maintain it...

for a 6x18x18 i placed my 5m water change hose coiled up in a esky full of ice and placed in the return line of the canister, after 3 hours, and 6 bags of ice the temp dropped by 4 degrees..from 31

after these few days of this stuffing around i dragged the aircon from the bedroom to the lounge room and had a few beers while watching the telly at 26degrees

the value of a reverse cycle aircon cannot be overlooked.. The fish room in the garage also has one now....think how much your fish are really worth, then what an aircon costs....its a no brainer....also by using a reverse cycle aircon, you can sit and watch your fav fish/room in comfort, both summer and winter..

i was down at wet and dry pets at kingswood a few weeks ago and they had titanium chillers for a few hundred dollars, i cant remember the exact price but i remember they were around the same price as a decent filter. when i had reef tanks these things were $2,500+, but they wre restaurant lobster tank chillers, but now it seems we have hobby size ones, does anyone out there use one? i would think theyd work really well in a sump thumb.gif

I've had my tanks go up to 38 degrees without any fish losses. It's actually more about dissolved oxygen then actual water temp unless you have sensitive species like some of the fiddly tangyanikans. I just make sure stocking levels are fairly low and theres a lot of oxygenation via airstones (water movement) and trickle filters. There not much point trying to keep tanks below 30 if theres a few weeks of hot weather or you have multiple tanks.

Just to add a final note to the thread I started, when I got home yesterday.

My 6x2x2 was at 29-30ºC, the 4ftr was at 27-28ºC and the fry tank in the garage was at 28ºC.

And, my dom male Kadango doesn't stop for anyone or anything, including hot temps, he was at it for about an hour last night.

So, I suppose the conditions couldn't have been too bad! LOL.gifLOL.gif

cheers to all for their advise

glenn

Replying to Dark Morelia. My heaters are set at 28 degrees to compensate for cold winters in a garage. On Tues my tanks went from 27 to 29.5. By turning the heaters off they cooled down to 27 overnight and upon returning Wed afternoon they were at 28 degrees. If they were set at 24 or so it would be pointless but when set at 28 it made a difference when you consider that Wed was a hotter day in Liverpool than Tues.

Cheers! Folkner

as most of you would know these last few days have been scorchers ...37+ degrees, what was said to be the hottest october day ever(if i heard right)

so i just wanted to know, has anyone experienced any dramas with this heat wave we've been having? (fish related or otherwise).

also has everyone decided to switch all their heaters off for the season yet?

i heard that gladesville had a power shortage due to the heat so i hope everyone has a backup plan if disaster strikes.

personally i have been lazier, i am walking slower, honking more people in traffic and generally having more arguements but my fish and my dogs are fine.

personally i have been lazier, i am walking slower, honking more people in traffic and generally having more arguements but my fish and my dogs are fine.

Echo that!! LOL.gif

I've only have one feeder platy turn upside, and being in NQ it's always hot so the fish/dogs are aclimatised I think

Fish are fine, tanks have remained below 28. My heaters are off, but not out yet, I will need to watch temps for a bit and maybe make an executive decision to switch them back on if need be.

I have definately not taken it as well as the fish though, so little energy!!!

also has everyone decided to switch all their heaters off for the season yet?

Ummm... I'm having trouble understanding why you turn your heaters off..... what possible advantage could there be ?

My heaters are off, but not out yet, I will need to watch temps for a bit and maybe make an executive decision to switch them back on if need be.

I may be wrong, but i thought they did that themselves, when the temp goes lower than what it's set at ?

blink.gif

"Please Explain"

Andy

If I have my heaters on set to say 27, then they will be at 27 when the sun comes out and begins heating the tanks up for the day. This means the weather has a headstart on making fish soup. If heaters are unplugged, my tanks will begin the day at 22-24 meaning they have an extra 5 degrees to make up before it goes higher than I like it.

If you dont like the idea of pulling your heater totally (which should be fine I've done it the last 3 summers at least I remember without any concerns) then you just set them at a lower temp (like 20-22) so they only cut in if the tank over-cools.

Archived