Missing Fish Malawi

Cobaltcraig2

On 23/10/2022 at 11:10 AM, Skippy said:

Andrew definitely had some Perlmutt for sale at Labyrinth in the last few years, and I'm pretty sure some Freibegi too.

Unfortunately Andrew has closed up 

I’m guessing fish are around 

ones I have mentioned haven’t seen go through the sydney club for a while 

Labidochromis mylodon (fryeri), pallidus 

Melanochromis labrosus, northern blue, dialeptos, baliodigma, vermivorus

Metiaclima chrysomallis Mumbo Is (aurora), Membe deep, greshakei, livingstoni, patricki

Tropheops macrothalmus red cheek, 

Petrotilapia tridentiger, retrognathus

Pseudotropheus polit, 

Copidochromis verdunyi 

Dimidiochromis kiwinge, strigatus

Protomelas taeniolatus Chinyankwazi, 

TBC

• 2 months later...
On 21/10/2022 at 11:30 AM, Cobaltcraig2 said:

Hi All 

I thought I would start a post about 

fish missing in the hobby 

Lab Perlmutt

Lab Friebergie 

Lab mbamba 

PS Hajomaylandi 

please keep adding any Malawi fish you can think of 

Just a update 

I’ve Sourced a colony of Hajoes 

and a few Lab mbamba 

• Like 1

A while back I remember a list that was going around from I think the NSWCS of species available in the country which listed their status eg common, rare etc. Does this still exist? 
I moved away from the hobby some years ago but am slowly on my way back with a couple of tanks and wanting to sign up again next NSWCS meeting ( much to the wifes delight 🤣

Be great to see whats going around at the moment and whats needing some life put back into it.

Edited by pride
  • Like 1

I have been looking for years for Pseudotropheus daktari to reignite a passion to restart even one tank in the fish room that has laid dormant for over 12 years. I would say that they are gone. 

Some others i have not seen any of or only hybrids are below

Metriclima estherae (Tangerine Zebra with the Blue or White Males and Yellow Females)

Metriaclima Zebra aka Black bar (anything ive seen has been hybridised)

Red Top Zebra

Good OB Zebras that are not hybridised

PS Polit
Maylandia barlowi

Pure Albino Greshaki or Normal Greshaki although i did see some young males in a shop that gave me hope being close to type.

PS aurora 

PS Zebra gold Charo - io think there is one zebra gold location still about but not charo

Various trewase and fuellborni all seem to be hard to get or non existent except the labeotropheus trewavasae chilumba red

Pseudotropheus livingstonii (had these as a young man over 30 years ago not seen them in 20 plus years. (Going back to the Heinz days for those old school Victorians)

I have seen Hajos, Pearlmutt both fairly rare but not lost. 

If i think of some more ill post here.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Tyrannochromis Macrostoma

(Aquotix in WA had them just over a decade ago but looks like there weren't enough around to keep numbers up but at least there has been a recent resurgence in T.Nigriventer numbers)

Afra Lions Cove 

(I actually spoke to a guy down Shell Harbour way about 7 or 8 years ago who was selling off his small colony but he wouldn't/couldn't ship and with the limited numbers I feel they might now be gone)

Metriclimia Elongatus Chailosi

(Currently searching for these but it's looking grim. Conversation exists about 11 years ago with fishkeepers saying they were here and others wanting to add them to a current tank so they must have been here but think it's similar story to the guys above. Not enough initial numbers and probably now lost to the hobby).

🙃