Hello Cyprichromis freaks!

danielsplakat

looking to start a thread about leptosoma haha. they are obviously my favourite cichlid hence the nickname so just wondering if anybody out there has some colonies and issues they'd like to talk about. i currently keep leptosoma utintas and p. nigripinnis, what cyps do you keep?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they are a great specie.. one of my favs

i keep leptosoma mpulungu and p.nigripinnis

but their tanks are too small and ive had nothing but average luck

im the coming weeks they will be housed in a 6ft so im looking forward to some positive changes

The title says Cyprichromis but the thread is about leptosomas and also include nigripinnis? lol I'm a bit confused if you're trying to focus on one particular genus or species?

:huh:

But anyway,

I've got P. nigripinnis normal and albino, C. microlepidotus Kiriza and Caramba, C. Leptosoma Livua, Utinta and Moba

They're one of my favourite fish as well, I haven't had the best of luck breeding (except the nigripinnis, I have 30+ fry growing) but they're great for filling up open top water areas in a Tanganyikan tank :)

I can add some photos later :happy:

I have utinta's and mpimbwe. Both have bred pretty well I have a trouble raising the mpimbwe fry. I tried everything and usually end up losing most of mouthful if not all of them (usually around the 8-10 week period). I load them up with BBS fry food and decapsulated brine shrimp but no luck. Sometimes they just the fry saver and get into the main tankl and disappear. The utinta's and fry are in the same water (not tanks before anyone says anything) and I have had no issues with raising the fry. It is a little odd but I will continue to keep on trying

cheers

rosco

I have utinta and malasa. I have both of them breeding at the moment. I have my utinta in a tank with my multies which is working out well. The malasa are in with a pair of black occies. Both colonies are small so I don't have lots of fry.

I keep Malasa , Kitumbas jumbo and Fulwe Rock jumbo , Malasa are in a 4foot by them selfs and breed regular colony is around 30 fish and i get at least 2 to 3 females to hold every week , the kitumba colony of around 20 are in a 4foot as well i had a few spawns and added them back to the colony but they dont to breed regular and the Fulwe Rock colony of 18 are in a 6x2x2 with calvus , luluepi and Furcifier Kitumba , the same they are a bit fuzy when it comes to breeding i normaly feed BBS every day for a few weeks to condition them to spawn fry seem to do well just on shrimp and flake , dont ask i dont have any for sale lol .

Cheers

Lionel

hey shon982, i thought leptosomas are a part of the cyprichromis family? nigripinnis on the other hand, yes maybe they shouldn't be on this thread although they are very similar fish haha. wow lionel that is crazy that you can get your females to hold each week! mine hold once every 3-4 weeks. have about 16 fry at the moment, could of had more if i had an egg tumbler but oh well got to build up the fry collection slowly haha.

i used to have mpimbwe very very beautiful species but had to let them go for other plans. leptosoma's are very underrated fish, if people knew how fun it was to watch them in schools and how they breed they'd be hooked but hey im not complaining, we can keep them all to ourselves right guys? haha

I love them too...my list is..

Cyprichromis sp. "leptosoma Jumbo" 'Mpimbwe'

Cyprichromis leptosoma Livua

Cyprichromis leptosoma Kigoma

Cyprich. leptosoma speckleback Moba

Cyprichromis microlepidotus (Bulu Pt.)

Cyprichromis microlepidotus Mboko

Cyprichromis pavo Moliro

The C. lept. all breed pretty regularly...the micro Bulu Pt breed occasionally although Ive got 2 girls holding tonight and the pavo and Mboko are yet to breed.

I keep them in 6 x 2 x 2 or 3 x 2 x 2.....

Feed flake, SMALL pellets, frozen and live BBS

Fry are raised on BBS only for the first few weeks then finely ground flake or grow formula is added (grow is ground in a pepper grinder, flake is ground in my fingers)

Mike

Mike

yep love them ,

bwah has my old C leptosoma mpulungu

i still have some F1 tricolours, have had one mouth full but nothing since

and a colony of P nigrippinis that breed regularly

would love more one day

ps nice list mike. you breed so many of the fish on my wish list. one day i may hit you with a big order, need to move and get settled in new house first.

Hi guys I keep utintas but I'm not that happy with their color. There is about 25 of them in a 5x2x2 foot

tank black background sand substrate. 1 blue t8 globe and 1 white globe 2 limestone 35 kg each rocks . My problem is that they don't

have very much color feeding them New life spectruim and frozen brine shrimp. Do you guys have any suggestions on

why these are lacking color. All water peramiters are good

Hello, I have bred them for years, my favorite fish.

At the moment I have a wild caught Colony of 15 Cyprichromis Leptosoma Kekese. I have about 50-60 F1's swimming around in the tank with the wild parents. Fry are from two spawns and are 2cm and 4-5cm. Looking forward to having a big school as its the best way to show them.

Pic of what I have (note pic incorrectly labelled Jumbo)

http://www.sicichlids.com/photo/displayimage.php?album=4&pos=60

Hi guys I keep utintas but I'm not that happy with their color. There is about 25 of them in a 5x2x2 foot

tank black background sand substrate. 1 blue t8 globe and 1 white globe 2 limestone 35 kg each rocks . My problem is that they don't

have very much color feeding them New life spectruim and frozen brine shrimp. Do you guys have any suggestions on

why these are lacking color. All water peramiters are good

Try bringing the aquarium lighting towards the front of the tank, lighting from behind and above will wash them out. Also experiment with blocking some of the lighting out with cardboard etc. cyps Colours benefit from darker areas in the tank. I have found the transition zone between the dark and lit area is where the best results are. Cyps Colours also rely on breeding behavior, the dancing males always show better. A bit of sunlight can also be useful but has the known dangers of algae etc. too much reflective material in the tank like white sand and rocks can wash then out too. but first try subduing the light and placing it at the front top part of the tank.

At the moment I am getting best results with my kekese with a single power glo tI've on my 6 x 2ft x 20inch which is place on the very forward part on the top of the tank. Black background and mix it up with the Blue light in the evening by itself.

Also make sure you Kh is not too low.

Thanks for the advise AndrewP I've got a 2 foot t5 above I changed the globes to blue and life glow which is better than the other one I had its about half the brightness. I tested the kh and it is on the low side 80mg/l so I've started bring it up. The tank has about 25 utintas 7 kelisa and I've got on order 3 wc tricotti 1 male 2 females.

Good to see so many people keeping Cyps!

I keep leptosoma jumbo kitumba normal and albino

Leptosoma mpulungu and micro Kigoma.

I keep them in colonies of 20+ adults, they are true schooling fish and number in the thousands in the wild.

hey firefin comp, i have had that problem and like other members have said you need black background! i have noticed with most of my africans that they hate it when i turn the light on haha. the best in my opinion for tangs is to have a black background and ocean blue lighting, plus it looks awesome!

Archived