Hello Cyprichromis freaks!

danielsplakat

oh wow just reminiscing and i have got say shon982, that is a damn large collection of cyps you have and now i remember why i became obsessed with them in the first place haha. i was steering into the direction of the majestic frontosas but damn, those colours on the kigoma just killed it for me!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers :happy:

I'd have to say frontosa are a bit too slowish and boring for me, lots of action with cyps and sandsifters!

Although I'd pick the Livua over the Kigoma, just because they're pretty similar but the Livua win due to minor things

Tail pattern is better with the blue tail ones, dorsal colour is different on yellow tail males compared to blue tails and they get a black streak along the bottom of them when really showing off like crazy

More variation is something I like

Yes variation is good although i love both the livua and kigoma haha. so far ive only kept utinta and mpimbwe, would nigripinnis be considered as a cyp? haha. but i am on the look out for some jumbo kitumbas! are there two types of kitumba? jumbo and non jumbo? sometimes i get confused but i do know that the one i want is jumbo. sandsifters are beautiful but i love my comps ahah

• 2 weeks later...

hey gillysyd, cheers mate. should be okay the wood doesnt release tannins anymore they are around 2 years old haha. but the crushed coral substrate should hopefully keep the water at ph 7.0. i have always kept a collection of driftwood and anubius with my africans for the past 5 years so far so good!

cyprichromis bulu points

Males

IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

Can anyone give me some direction - Females?

IMG_1771.jpg

Female holding?

IMG_1845.jpg

These are beautiful fish - do you keep them in a tank on their own or what else is in there? What size tank?

I'm thinking of downsizing a malawi tank and then starting afresh with some tangs I haven't had before.

• 2 months later...

WOW this thread, didnt even know of it,

All those fish, look so good and just want to get mine this thursday, the colony im getting have been breeding alot for the former owner, he just doesnt have time or space to keep them so he is getting rid of the colony to make room!

This variant hasnt been mentioned in this thread and I had never heard of it before i put a deposit on this colony.

These are Cyprichromis leptosoma kamakonde from Germany, and these have awesome colour from the pic i have seen of them.

I just really hope the male/s retain that colour through shipping, and dont want them to slim either like my last young colony....

So yeh, there has been no discussion of Cyp Slimming, i think its time to face the topic of the dreaded slimming.........

I was pretty lucky with my cyps in the end. When I picked up my utinta colony, they were in pretty ordinary condition, could not tell males from females, and there were a few that were very skinny. I remember seeing all these amazing photos online, and when I walked into the shop to pick up my soon to be colony of fish the first thing I thought was if they ever end up like any of the photos I've seen it will be a miracle. I lost 1 in the first 2 days, I think it was a female but as I said, I couldn't at all tell the difference at that stage so who knows.

From then on they have gone from strength to strength, and are now the fish that I posted a video of the other day. It took a lot of TLC, and some high quality food (new era flake and live BBS) but I seem to have gotten on top of the dreaded wasting, fingers crossed!!!

always love seeing your cyps kerrin! nothing that a crap load of brine shrimp cant fix cooder! the pic i posted are of the fry i am selling to a friend haha. its quite comical how my females hold the fry in their tiny mouths. had a batch of 12 last time couldnt believe it!

Archived