Fry to LFS

aymenz

Hey guys,

I have about 25 Crimson Tides fry excellent quality and about 30 Electric Blues...

How much do you reckon the LFS will take each for, I mean a reasonable offer?

Thanks,

Aymen

Every single store will have a different. It will depend on size, quantity, whether you want cash or credit (not all stores will give cash) and whether the store thinks they can sell them.

If it was me and I wanted to get rid of them then I would be happy to walk out of it with $2 a fish cash. An easy $100 really.

I sell my to LFS anywhere from $4.00 - $6.00 depending on qty 20+min and their stock levels. I usually walk in and check their tanks before I hit them up (new LFS) for sales.

I have a fairly large database of LFS now so they just call me when they need restocking. :)

Our shops up here are pretty tight,took 40 rusties from 6-10cm and a breeding colony of 15cm fuelbourni (1m 4f) and they offered $50 for the lot.

Funnily enough it is also the most expensive shop on the coast.

• 2 weeks later...

hell thats about $1.20 a fish

I'd know what i'd tell them lol

But your right I dont understand it as if shops can get a local breeder then it saves them heaps

I find the same in Blacktown LFS's some take them then others want them for next to nothing

I have some that ring me others you have to chase for a sale

I take them home if they try for under $4 or to the next shop!

Our shops up here are pretty tight,took 40 rusties from 6-10cm and a breeding colony of 15cm fuelbourni (1m 4f) and they offered $50 for the lot.

thats a joke ......and then they expect us to feel sorry for them when they cant survive ......pfft

thats a joke ......and then they expect us to feel sorry for them when they cant survive ......pfft

So true! I mean come on 1.20 a fish !!! Fair enough they have to hold them and feed them but they get everything wholesale... what would be hurting them is the power bills...... bring on solar baby ! :D

I went to sell some fry at my LFS and it was so awkward.. I buy from there all the time and the owner is like yeh bring the fry in. Bring them in, and its like im a skid mark man.. Straight away - sry we dont buy fish!!!!! Then i jog his memory the usual banter back n forth and he gives me some fish food. Suffice to say i wont be buying from his store anymore !!! Prefer to set my own price and get cash for bulk lots itd easier and i keep my dignity

I couldn't believe it.

I wasn't asking for much ($100 cash) and when they turned around and offered that I was completely and utterly amused since they were selling rusties of the same size for $20 each.

I do understand that shops have overheads but there is a difference between getting a good deal (Where both sides are content) and ripping someone off blind. I ended up taking them home and listing them on petlink, They were sold within 2 hours.

It's no coincidence that so many people from the coast travel to Sydney to buy fish ;)

i tend to ask for a price list and then offer them fish at 50 cents less Than the wholesalers price

i refuse store credit these days as i've had a store owe me 1600 and they didnt want to let me take my money out of there store supplies so these days i run on a cash only policy unless im in need of food or something then ill do a straight trade

Also most shops offer you nothing because alot of people dont realise what there fish are worth and quite often sell them a bucket full of fish for $50

I know atleast 1 person who was offered $6 each for frontosa and told thats what they were worth the shop manager quickly changed his mind when he realised that We had just been to the owners other shop and sold them for $18 each

Moral of story you cant blame them for trying to get them extra cheap they figure if you take them in ypu dont want them so thwy offer you nothing

i tend to ask for a price list and then offer them fish at 50 cents less Than the wholesalers price

i refuse store credit these days as i've had a store owe me 1600 and they didnt want to let me take my money out of there store supplies so these days i run on a cash only policy unless im in need of food or something then ill do a straight trade

Also most shops offer you nothing because alot of people dont realise what there fish are worth and quite often sell them a bucket full of fish for $50

I know atleast 1 person who was offered $6 each for frontosa and told thats what they were worth the shop manager quickly changed his mind when he realised that We had just been to the owners other shop and sold them for $18 each

Moral of story you cant blame them for trying to get them extra cheap they figure if you take them in ypu dont want them so thwy offer you nothing

Well said

Call first. Only deal with at least the 'manager' - but preferably owner. Tell them what you have, and tell them your expectation. They will quickly let you know if you are not being reasonable or if they have no market for your stock, and they may make a counter offer.

Agree to terms on the phone, and make sure the person will be in store when you drop in.

If they attempt to change terms on your arrival, be prepared to walk out.

Try not to rock up with a bucket full of fish either in hand (or in the car) as the owner/manager will immediately assume (probably correctly) that you're desperate and don't want to take the fish home again.

Expect less for cash than stock trade.

Never underestimate a good relationship. Stores where you spend money regularly will almost always repay your custom better than some place you just found in the yellow pages.

Archived