New fishroom build

parkesg

Hi,

Thought I would share the development of my new fishroom which has been months and months in the planning.

I have finally started putting it together, so very exciting times...here we go:

Here's the racks ready and waiting for tanks.

IPB Image

Tanks got delivered today!

IPB Image

Cheers

Grant

I was at St George sorting out my tanks/sump before they went off to deliver

yours. It must have been fun getting the top tanks up!

Did you buy the foam also or did you get it from somewhere else? Looking

for somewhere to get some cheap otherwise it looks like I will have to pay St Georges prices...

Looks good though Grant. What are your plans for stocking?

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

I was at work when they delivered, which is one reason I don't mind paying the extra for their service. My wife tells me it only took them 1/2 an hour to unload, very efficient. I do like St George.

I picked up the foam from a friend in the know, as I needed so much of it.

I'll be stocking 95% Tangs but will still keep the phenochilus Mdoka and Gissel, I picked up some Lethrinops red cap from Noddy which I'll try also. I'd like to see the phenos and red caps ina hap tank together in a 6*2.

I'm really looking forward to getting into it and setting it up, I like doing all the plumbing work..

Cheers

Grant

Very Nice.

What size tanks and whats the top level for??

And how are you going to divide them up??

Looks very nice please keep updating don't see many pics of actual setups on here.

Jack

Nothing better than getting new tanks.... all the possibilities. Please keep us updated with the room build.

Hi Grant,

Set up is already starting to look awesome. Who did you get the tanks of by the way? and who made the racks for you? Whats the distance between end of the tank and the next level?

John

Hi guys,

thanks for your comments.

Jack - the tanks are 6*2*20 (l*w*h), they will not be divided. The top level is for fry tanks, I am planning for them to be only 10 inches high, this gives me about 25cm free space to the roof, and will be used for sandsifter type fry where they don't need height but footprint.

Rosco - the room will have the 6*2*20 and 4*2*20, I will also have a few 4*2*20 with two dividers to make 16*2*20, these will be for julies and lamps.

John - Thanks mate, the tanks were made by St George. The racks where made by a place at Moorebank, Cresent Engineering, and I got an amazing deal on them (so good he said he will not do them at that price again...ever :cryblow: ). The free space is 10cm or about 4 inches. This is about what I had with the dexion racking, sounds tight and probably is but is enough.

I'll paint and start plumbing this weekend, will post more as I go.

Thanks again.. :thumbup:

Grant

Looks great, All thoose 6 fter's.

Are you keeping the bottom tanks on the floor? will that not make them a bit colder than the others?Depends on heating I surpose.Looks like a lg room still to full.

Hey,

Yeah they are tanks on the bottom. They will all be filtered through a central sump so the temp should even out across each level. Anyone think this is not the case?

The sump will sit on the left hand side of the racks and is open and accessable from the top. I have learnt from my last couple of setups it's better to be able to clean the baffle style sumps regulary, which means in the long run it's better to have this access although it takes up more space.

It is a good size room, I will see how I go with what is there then in terms of work, then take it from there.

cheers

grant

Hey,

Yeah they are tanks on the bottom. They will all be filtered through a central sump so the temp should even out across each level. Anyone think this is not the case?

The sump will sit on the left hand side of the racks and is open and accessable from the top. I have learnt from my last couple of setups it's better to be able to clean the baffle style sumps regulary, which means in the long run it's better to have this access although it takes up more space.

It is a good size room, I will see how I go with what is there then in terms of work, then take it from there.

cheers

grant

Yes all tanks on a central filtration system will be the same temp but having a row of tanks sitting directly on the floor will increase heating costs as they defintitely cool more. Also many fish species are more skittish being so low to ground. Its not worth changing now but a cheap solution would be to put a row of house bricks under each leg and tanks. This would also keep your steel stand legs out of any water which tends to collect under legs. Room ceiling is high enough to raise tanks if necessary.

Looking great grant, I love these threads, where we all get excited as we see a new room coming together...

Archived