New fishroom build

parkesg

Thanks again everybody.

fishdance - I am planning on fry tanks on the top level so I cannot raise the stands any higher. I was thinking about putting silicon around the legs and the ground, you think this will help prevent rust? I have kept fish in ground tanks before and I know it is not ideal, but wanted to sqeeze as much as I can in there. I will put the malawi's in the bottom tanks, hopefully they still do their thing..

I didn't manage to get hardly anything done over the weekend, put 1 coat of paint and ran out on the second coat, very fustrating, as I just want to get stuck into it.

This Monday is a bank holiday, and I am currently working in a bank, so hopefully I can make some good progress this weekend. Hope I can post some more pics soon.

Cheers

Grant

agree with fishdance, i think the bottom tanks on floor will be a degree or so lower in temp,, not much and you can choose what fish to put there anyway as you say.

I just notice that in my room and I have a 10cm gap.

Looks good and big room!!

I was thinking about putting silicon around the legs and the ground, you think this will help prevent rust?

Hi Grant

If the stands are sitting directly on the floor you may want to consider putting something like pieces of a nylon cutting board under each leg to get them off the concrete as you will definatly have a rust issue in time.

Kevin

I used rubber,10mm thick, helps to leavel the stand as well as the rust issue.

You maybe surprised how unleavel a floor can be.

Think I got some offcuts from Clark rubber.

Hi Kevin, sounds like good advise..do you do this yourself. One thing is if the board can take all that weight over time? Any thoughts?

dobbin, does the rubber bunch up around each foot, causing a cup type shape, or us it quite a solid rubber?

Thx for the great ideas.. ;)

Hi Kevin, sounds like good advise..do you do this yourself. One thing is if the board can take all that weight over time? Any thoughts?

Yes I sure do :thumb mine have been in place for about 11 years now with no issues

Hi,

Got some time today to do a little work:

Here's the six tanks painted and plumbed, with the next line of racks in place.

IPB Image

Alley shot, I allowed 90cm between rows and there is surprising a lot of room. I'll be able to put a chair and sit and watch.

IPB Image

Here's the new water storage, no more filling up 6 blue barrels and overfilling every time!

This will be pushed to the left behind the existing painted tanks, at the moment I neeed the access for the plumbing etc.

When I am finished the plumbing, I'll then slide the water tank over and then put the next three tanks on their rack to complete that row.

IPB Image

Cheers

Grant

Yep looks good,Very neat. Rubber is very solid so no way water can build up.You can get in different thickness to level the stands as well. When I went there I got offcuts for next to nothing.Lasted years.

But I work with sheet metal so just used Stainless steel or Ali square's under the legs to level my last update.

Your filling that room up!!!!

Great.

WOW..looks great mate! :clap Would like to see the plumbing and how are you are planning to do the water changes.

I know you are looking at a central filtration so will you be running individual pumps back to the tanks?

Your thoughts on disease control being a community filter?

Hi guys,

Aquatic_Dreams – I hope to be able to try a few different things. I have been growing out gobies for a while and they are approaching breeding size, so will give them a crack. I have also wanted to keep tropheus for years now, but have never taken the plunge, so maybe try them. At the moment though, it is about giving my existing species more room to move and ultimately have fewer species per tank, lightly stock tanks = cleaner water, less water changes, less work, and more natural behaviour..

Hi Joel – me too, it’s keeping me up at night… :zipit:

Hi Arj – I’ll get some pics up of the plumbing, not quite complete enough yet to give a clear enough idea. i also want to put something under the legs as Kevin and dobbin suggested, have not decide which material yet, or how I will lift the stands without taking off all the tanks. I will be plumbing on a per level basis. That is, the bottom level is one pump, the middle another pump etc. Flow control is managed through individual taps on each tank.

I am looking at central filtration, probably two sumps, stacked on top of each other, top sump flows into the bottom. I will have pumps in the top sump to save head height loss.

I am hoping for an auto water change system; still in concept and am hoping to finalise details in the next week or so. Again I’ll put pics of that up too. I will be putting in bulkheads with taps in the last three tanks of each row (from the side of the tanks, at the bottom), so I can do big manual water changes if need be. The water storage is about 3,000ltrs (~15 blue barrels!)

Disease control – pure prevention based. All fish will undergo quarantine prior to entering the system, I will treat prophylactically for diseases like white spot, as once treated and nothing else changes the fish will not get it. I was thinking about running a few canisters also, so if anything does ever happen to an individual tank, I can turn the tap off the system and treat just that tank. Failing that, a very very large expenditure on meds to treat the whole system. But, first stop is prevention. All material entering the system will be treated e.g. plants.

I’ll keep the pics coming, the next batch of tanks have been delayed so, not much I can do now.. :(

Cheers

Grant

Hi mate,

one of my friends that own a fish farm here in Melbourne use the plastic/pvc cutting board material that Kevin suggested. He has wooden stands though. I would tend to use those rather than rubber but I guess either will do.

With regards to disease control, I suggest that you put in a couple of big UV sterilisers but only use them in a loop when need to ie put taps to block the flow when not in use and keep it dry. That way you can get rid of white spot and the like quite quickly. :thumbup:

Very envious of your room. Well done! Hope the gold occies and gold comps thrive as I will be wanting some back! :lol3:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived