new 8X4X2.5

jimmy2290

iam new to game got this tank on the cheep well iam told it was cheep $1200 it is an 8x4x2.5 15mm sides and 20mm base. just after some ideas people have been telling me to run a burundi colony are they hard too keep any info would be great ill try and get some pics up asap

Keep anything you want, Seriously. There wouldn't be many Cichlids that cant be kept in a tank that size.

You must have had some Idea on what fish you wanted before you went and bought that tank. I also hope your floors at home are strong enough to hold it up!

Josh

would really like to see some pics of your setup. what filter system are you currently running?

IMO id go with tank busters. your setup is big enough to keep some monster fish in there.

Hope you have your filtration and lighting worked out - I'd suggest going for metal halides on a tank that wide!

I think large schools of african cichlids would look great in there. It would be one of the few tanks where the natural behaviour of the fish can be seen. I'd probably go for Tanganyikan cichlids if you want interesting behaviour or Malawi if you want colour.

I can just see the colour that you would get from(males) a colony of C furcifer or O nasuta,ventralis or boops.

Be interested in photo's & more info on filter's etc to go with your monster tank.

Good luck as it maybe a bargin for a tank this size, but is it tank alone.Cheap?.Check floor as that is a lot of water to clean up if it cracks. :lol4:

Good luck as it maybe a bargin for a tank this size, but is it tank alone.Cheap?.Check floor as that is a lot of water to clean up if it cracks. :lol4:

Agree with this comment.

You can probably factor in around $10,000.00 minus tank cost, and you'd be doing well, when all is set up. Unless you have some secret stash of aquarium gear suited for 2000 + liters of water ready to hook up :thumb .

i dont know if i have read this right but if you saying you need to spend 10k on filtration your either an idiot or have money to burn!

there are plenty of cheap ways to filter 2000litres of water you just need to use your brain.

if you google koi farm filters there is heaps of info on how to make your own filter that work extremely well and can filter massive amounts of water. chances are im going to be crucified for this comment, but i think it is worth while pointing out that there are other possiblities than store bought top $$$$ crap.

cheers

pete

Agree with this comment.

You can probably factor in around $10,000.00 minus tank cost, and you'd be doing well, when all is set up. Unless you have some secret stash of aquarium gear suited for 2000 + liters of water ready to hook up :thumb .

I would say that you would be looking at 10K total to set the tank up completely. Factoring in filtration, lighting, cabinet/stand and structural improvements if needed.

Then you have to aqua scape it, and fill it will fish.

The glass box may have been cheap, but doing anything on that scale is going to be expensive.

10k a bit over the top but we dont know how the tanks been made. Drop filter? plumbing etc

Sure will need more that that but a photo would tell us heaps.

Sure it was tank only? so as said stand,hood, filter's, lights, heaters + the powerbill to run them,airpump,etc before the fish.If hes putting it on a concrete floor will be ok, but timber?

So did you get a cabinet with it? I'm assuming on the cheap means second hand, what did the previous owner have it on?

There are some amazing possibilities with that size tank, how did you get it in the house?

I agree 10K is probably pretty accurate, especially if you have to add support to the structure under the tank.

Lets get some photo's up asap...

assume its floorboards...

ive seen people cut there floor boards out where the tank is going to sit ($50 for a saw)so there is a hole and you can see the dirt underneath, then put in a 4inch concrete slab under the house a little bit bigger than the size to the tank($500), then put bessa bricks ($3.30each)ontop of the conctrete up to where the tank sits, the slab can hold a huge amount of wieght and cost next to nothing to put in.

new houses with concrete floors usually have polystyreen in the concrete slabs, if this is the case then put the tank in the garage, the concrete floor is thicker with no polystyrene or craP chucked in it, again you can google how much pressure across how much space concrete can handle asuming you can measure its thickness from outside or something.

a bessa brick stand would cost nothing to build and would be the easyest, it wont rot and it wont rust and you can build a fake cabinet around the bricks very easily which would look great.

i firmly believe 10k is a joke and i would be doing more research before throwing away my hard earned $$$$.

i also think pictures would be great to see, of both the tank and where you plan to put it.

cheers

pete

assume its floorboards...

ive seen people cut there floor boards out where the tank is going to sit ($50 for a saw)so there is a hole and you can see the dirt underneath, then put in a 4inch concrete slab under the house a little bit bigger than the size to the tank($500), then put bessa bricks ($3.30each)ontop of the conctrete up to where the tank sits, the slab can hold a huge amount of wieght and cost next to nothing to put in.

new houses with concrete floors usually have polystyreen in the concrete slabs, if this is the case then put the tank in the garage, the concrete floor is thicker with no polystyrene or craP chucked in it, again you can google how much pressure across how much space concrete can handle asuming you can measure its thickness from outside or something.

a bessa brick stand would cost nothing to build and would be the easyest, it wont rot and it wont rust and you can build a fake cabinet around the bricks very easily which would look great.

i firmly believe 10k is a joke and i would be doing more research before throwing away my hard earned $$$$.

i also think pictures would be great to see, of both the tank and where you plan to put it.

cheers

pete

Like that ! :clap

My 2300 litre setup probably cost $2700.00 to fully set up including purchase 2nd hand and filters, heaters, fish.

But that is not including hiring a truck to pick it up. Maybe add another $300.00

The rocks came from my back yard.

The fake plants cost $26.00 at the markets.

A lot of the fish were free from mates. (THabnks Yellow and Cobalt Craig"

Gravel from Landscaper

I actually sold a filter that came with the tank and made a profit.

I had 1 light and bought a 2nd off the net (Brand new).

I had 1 300watt heater, bought another Wholesale.

Biuo balls were bought from this site classifieds.

Its Not hard to save money when carefull and you are not in a rush.

By the way if you need Bio balls let me know.

Pete

There is no way I would place a 2.5 tonne tank on a 100mm thick slab of concrete, with out allowing for footings and some pretty serious steal reinforcement, It is in no way and easy job. Cutting a 2.4m x 1.2m meter hole in the floor of your house is going to involve some pretty serious structural changes to be made. Extra piers would have to be placed as well as allowances made for the missing bearers. I cant imagine the average Joe being able to do this with out professional help, or at least, an engineers guidance.

By your numbers you have reached a grand just on the slab and stand, probably more then that, with the inclusion of profession help.

You could set it for next to nothing. A filter made from a 200l water barrel, would do, in no way expensive, but maybe not sufficient for jimmy's needs.

a few extra piers would cost the total of 50 bricks and mortar you dont need to hire a engineer or a bricky for every little thing you do around your house, u may need to if you have no idea but then why would you bother trying to do it yourself(DIY), you would just pay someone to build it for you...hence the 10k estimate..., next you will be telling me you hire a plumber for $75 an hour to fix the washers in your bathroom sink tap lol.

3 inch concrete is the minimum allowable thickness for a driveway and you can drive 1.5tonne car or a small truck on it with ease.

i think 10k is a very over the top estimate and i have expressed this, you free to do whatever you want i just thought i would put in a few cheaper alternatives.goodluck with whatever you go for.

cheers

pete.

the flooring is corvered its a slab on ground iam also in the process of making a steel fame from 50x50 rhs with 5 mm walling so that should hold. also getting a sump made atm but the tank came with two big eheim canister filters iam an electrician so lighting is covered two i have two 400w 20000k metal halid lights in the roof over the tank just trying to everything as cheep as possible

Agree with you Dave, If you look around you can do it. Your right Josh as well,, cutting holes in floors = $$$'s not to mention the council :confused: permit you need & for the floor to be supported where the cutout is.No report to council = no permit. You can do it without a permit but wait till you sell your house an find what you need to do to fix the problem. Your more likely need 200mm slab with footing all around x 300mm deep like for a sunroom built onto your house.Jimmy's :dntknw: gone walkabout or sitting back laughing :lol3::clap at us lot.

Aqua84 I can see where your coming from but we really know too little about Jimmy's $1200.00 cheep tank

So what is the sheds floor?

if you have room outside or something then filtration is easy, i have 1 tank that sits aganst a wall, i put my pipes through the wall outside and have hooked up large water barrels to it full of filter media etc, if you want cheap alternatives to canisters etc then checkout koi fish farm filters on google, there are 100's of ways to filter that amount of water, no need to buy fancy stuff unless you are confined with space etc. pumps will be the main cost.

cheers

pete.

im not having a go at anyone just voiceing an opinion :)

council can get f'd lol, my neighbour built a 2 story house without council permits lol, the council found out and still let it stand even though the guy was an owner builder and the house isnt square and the floors are not level lol.

dont think the council will worry about a hole in the floor, who the hell would tell them in the first place?

regardless the tank is going in the shed as old mate has told us.

Archived