new 8X4X2.5

jimmy2290

i rekon a bessa brick stand, its not like your putting 2500kgs on one brick, the wieght will be evenly distributed to the floor. if your worried then cut out the concrete where you want to put it and dig a hole deeper and put in a thicker slab in that area. not that hard to do, i just did the same for a spray booth at a panel beaters, had existing floor and we had to dig out a section of floor and make it thicker(amoung other things) before the spray booth could be made.

cheers

pete.

I'd love to see the look on the wife's face if I came home with something like that.

i also forgot to mention its going in the shed NOT THE HOUSE the better half has already made her mind up about that

i dont know if i have read this right but if you saying you need to spend 10k on filtration your either an idiot or have money to burn!

im not having a go at anyone just voiceing an opinion :)

These comments seem to be a bit out of step with themselves.

I'm many things....and "idiot"....maybe, but not when it comes to my tanks. Can you do it cheaper? I guess that depends on what standards you expect for the finished product, on whether you buy new, 2nd hand, or make your own supporting gear. Not to mention using existing gear or free from friends (Dave :raisehand: )

For example, will the tank be plumbed or just walking sticks over the side for the filtration. One way will involve plumbing parts and boy can they add up, the other way will not involve any extra expense on top of the filter. But the plumbing is the better way to go, but will be paid for.

I used 50x50 duragal steel frame welded by a friend - the metal alone cost from memory (from a factory outlet) around $500. Did get ripped off? Not that I was aware of. Yes you can use bessa blocks, but they will take up most of your under take space, which for myself I filled with sump (1/3) water change tanks (1/3) and pump, denitrate filter, UPS etc (1/3). Had I used blocks I could not have done this.

Cutting a hole in the floor of your house :blink You got to be kidding :no: . Hey, I don't live in a vogue type home, but not only would this cause a family rift, I wouldn't do it.

cut out the concrete where you want to put it and dig a hole deeper and put in a thicker slab in that area. not that hard to do,

Aqua84 - what do you do for a job mate? Not that hard to do? Wow :lol3:

Going in a shed will allow you to do things differently than I did with my 2000 litre tank situated in the middle of my home, so I'm sure you can do things in there that won't fly inside your home, but I built my own filter, and the light was free (8x 4' fluro, 3 x metal halides and 8 x LEDs), and I did everything myself except weld the stand and build the tank (built in situ 3m x 61cm x 1.10m out of 19mm glass). I used no second hand equipment, so some saving can be had here.

The age old expression, "you get what you pay for" is applicable here too :thumb

I'm told there are still photos on ACE showing this tank of mine, not sure where to find it. Can somebody else post up a link in this thread please :B

Craig

have told there are still photos on ACE showing this tank of mine, not sure where to find it. Can somebody else post up a link in this thread please :B

Craigs Amazing tank

IPB Image

Ctaylor, thanks for that, I haven't seen that for a loooong time. Looks good doesn't it! :B I see the tank all the time, and I never get tired of it. Appreciate you going to the trouble of finding it, posting the photo and link. :thumb

Thanks for the comments fongyfong. :thumbup:

Aqua84, I wasn't in any way trying to have a go at you :no: , I respect your comments, and I think you must have more energy than me to think nothing of digging up a concrete floor – not to mention relay a new one. I just think there are more expenses than you realise. I wouldn't be surprised if my tank was copied, the price would be closer to $15,000 than 10.

If you have any way to save on costs, please post them :hug:

A tank doesn't have to have as many features as mine so costs can be held down jimmy2290, and I'd be interested to see your thread kept going please with updates of your progress. :yes:

I wouldnt be surpsied too if your tank would cost 15k to re set up with everything brandnew including the halides leds etc, i read a guy who had your size tank but a marine tank and it cost him 60k to set up, my tank is a 2 foot cube baught 2nd hand so far i spent around 1.5k on it to set up, soon when i get better lights, wavemaker more fish and corals i think its gonna cost me around the 3k, a guy once told me he spent 10k on a 4 foot tank, but this is marine, so 10k on a 10 foot freshwater tank is about right including restructuring the floor etc

Ctaylor, thanks for that, I haven't seen that for a loooong time. Looks good doesn't it! :B I see the tank all the time, and I never get tired of it. Appreciate you going to the trouble of finding it, posting the photo and link. :thumb

Not a problem Craig :thumbup: , I have looked at those photo's dozen's of times, the tank just amazes me, from your lighting, filtration to your inhabitants, it must be really something to watch it everyday.

Hopefully I'll get fish from you in the future and get the opportunity to sit there in person and see it for all its glory.

I'm also keen to see this thread continued, I hope that you keep regular updates and photo's, it truly is a thing of beauty and if it turns out anything like Craigs has you'll be incredibly proud of your achievements, the only regret will be that its out the back in the shed, not sat right there in your living room... :lol3:

I was expecting a big tank when I went there but not that monster. Unfortunately I did not have enough time to appreciate.

Hopefully I'll get fish from you in the future and get the opportunity to sit there in person and see it for all its glory.

you can get the eheim 2080 pro for $300 theres a guy selling 2 for $600 on there 10k is a joke even if you have to cut the floorboards out! and 2 eheim pros will handle that size tank if you go marine then yeah well over! pics would be awesome to see i only got a baby 8x2x2 compared to yours lmao

you can get the eheim 2080 pro for $300 theres a guy selling 2 for $600 on there 10k is a joke even if you have to cut the floorboards out! and 2 eheim pros will handle that size tank if you go marine then yeah well over! pics would be awesome to see i only got a baby 8x2x2 compared to yours lmao

Pete, can we see some photos of your 8x2x2, and some details? Maybe in another thread as we're going off thread even more :roll

You know, the light on my big tank (and my smaller 800 litre has a similar), if I had, had to purchase it new, would have been $2-3,000 on it's own, if not more. Heck! The Universal Rock backgrounds in the smaller tank (the one showing the K1 in it), I was lucky enough to buy second hand (2'6" high background) and it/they (there's two) only cost me a couple of hundred, new, it would have been in the thousands. Sure, you can paint the background with a tin of paint that's been laying around and it can cost nothing - but go back and look at the background and tell me what you'd prefer :lol1:

Craig

I think the short answer is if you want this to be the aquarium you have always wanted then yes, it will probably see costs go well into the thousands because if it is the aquarium you hav always wanted you will want the best of everything and you will want every little issue you have had with other systems fixed!

If you only want this tank to be functionally then yes, it could definately be setup on the cheap, potentially for a few hundreds dollars if you have some equipment lying around. All you need is a large tub or barrel for filtration, fill it with bioballs which can be purchased dirtcheap secondhand, a return pump which you may have or can buy cheap. Plumbing completed with soft tubing instead of PVC.

Heaters might cost $100, sand you could buy from a landscaping yard or pick up the freebies offered in the classifieds or better yet go barebottom, lighting could be done with 2 x double 3ft units purchased from Bunnings or you may have some lying around. In tank circulation could be achieved with a few cheap powerheads worth $15 each.

In tank decoration could be collected yourself by finding your own rocks or driftwood or plants. The stand could be welded up cheap enough by a mate using leftover metal or go with the bessa blocks.

Fish could be purchased as babies off a breeder. By them really small and you could easily fill it on the cheap. ie buy 20 1cm electric yellows, 20 1cm electric blues etc etc.

At the end of the day though if you do it completely on the cheap you may find yourself wondering why you don't enjoy the tank and why you find yourself not wanting to go and relax after work infront of your tank for hours. The answer I think you will find is because it is a pain in the buM and bLoody ugly!

Personally I'd find a spot between the two options. I'd get a proper stand welded up, sump made, plumbing all done properly and lighting done properly (2-3 x Metal Halides or 2 x 3ft quad globe T5 units or DIY LED lighting) so you can see the tank properly. You don't need to have denitraters, UV lights etc. That will save on a huge amount of cash. If the tank is stocked with fish as it should over a few months then the cost of those will be small amounts at a time so won't be as troublesome as a large lump sum.

2x 1000 litre plastic water drums side by side wouldent be 8 foot long or 4 foot wide, it would be close but not quite, and they hold 1000kilos each which would make 2000litres on a smaller surface than this 8x4 tank.

im pretty sure most decent aquarium shops have large tanks, why dont you ask them what prep they did before putting it in there. theres one in campbelltown with a 10 ft tank and one in canleyvale with a huge one too that come to mind,i dont see them having to do prep to put there tanks in the shops. you could go to a pool or spa shop and ask what prep they did before putting water in there display spa's, im pretty sure they would wieght 2tonne full of water. or maybe visit a farm with a 5000gallon water tank and measure the thickness of the slab. if my farm wasent so far away i would go measure mine right now lol

in my opinon most diy filters work better than the stuff you buy.

if you want lighting go and see a shop fitter on site, usuallly they throw out heaps of perfectly fine fittings when they strip shops etc and you can pick up great stuff for nothing.

anyway ive had enough of posting on this post, ill follow it to see the progress and look forward to the pics.

cheers

pete.

Water tanks and pools spread the weight over the total suface of the base. Aquarium stands concentrate the weight into smaller areas at the base of each leg.

I guess that depends on what standards you expect for the finished product, on whether you buy new, 2nd hand, or make your own supporting gear. Not to mention using existing gear or free from friends

Craig

i agree with craig,

i just recently set=up my 11x3x3 built in the wall tank with it own fish room in the middle of the house.

the house was actually built around the tank design.

If you going to design and built the house according to the design of the fish tank , you not going use cheap equipement.

tank built from 15mm glass with 19mm base , using glass from England not from China. cost me $4500

all up, tank setup cost $12,000.

i will post pic up soon.

I guess that depends on what standards you expect for the finished product, on whether you buy new, 2nd hand, or make your own supporting gear. Not to mention using existing gear or free from friends

Craig

i agree with craig,

i just recently set=up my 11x3x3 built in the wall tank with it own fish room in the middle of the house.

the house was actually built around the tank design.

If you going to design and built the house according to the design of the fish tank , you not going use cheap equipement.

tank built from 15mm glass with 19mm base , using glass from England not from China. cost me $4500

all up, tank setup cost $12,000.

i will post pic up soon.

Excellent point :thumb ...Looking forward to seeing that picture soon.

Archived