Are NLS foods really that good?

JLL

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as I'm concerned, this thread has nearly run it's course. There isn't much anyone who has previously posted here can add to their own arguments. If I continue to see the same old arguments, I'll lock the thread and not allow a similar one to start up.

Andy (Vis) ...... has anyone told you, you make a good moderator.....your comments are so unbiased and you never take sides.....maybe u should be one on Nigel's new forum? :dntknw:

Come on guys....let's stick to the topic here otherwise Baz will shut us down and then we will all have nothing to do in the evenings!!! ;):zipit:

Hey how did I manage to cop the blame for that :dntknw::lol3:

"NLS is definately not the ideal diet for ANY fish, nor should be exclusively fed..."

what happened when u tried to defame a food company! i think the company is currently consulting a lawyer regarding your comments!!!! :(:zipit:

"NLS is definately not the ideal diet for ANY fish, nor should be exclusively fed..."

what happened when u tried to defame a food company! i think the company is currently consulting a lawyer regarding your comments!!!! :(:zipit:

I think the food is absolute rubbish Dave so lets see them come Sue me. :blink:lol5:

LMAO!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

look what happened when i called defamation. Lol1

Come on, do we really need to go down this path again?

I may not see eye to eye with the likes of RD when it comes to such religious fervour in regards to a fish food. BUT, at least he bought some (read - a truckload of) information to the table to back up his claims.

By all means have an 'opinion' but if you have definite statements to make then provide some evidence to back it up.

I liked reading about some peoples results with the food, both in the positive and negative. I think everyone (mostly everyone) is sick of the useless and repeated comments.

I have to agree they will just lock or delete it if we get silly.

This was posted on another forum its an interesting read.

Color Enhancing Foods Comparison

by Christian B. Homrich Jr.,

SouthWestern Michigan Aquarium Society. From SWAM, May/June 2004

As a test of a few different color enhancing foods available to the tropical fish hobby, I decided it was time to let other hobbyists view my findings. But before I mention the differences I had found here in my home, I wanted to give a short description of how I had my tanks set up for this test. I had a tank that had thirty Metriaclima estherae fry that were exactly thirty days old from the time of release from the female parent fish’s mouth. Since I had six open 20-gallon tall tanks I thought it would be a great time to try out a few of the commercially available fish foods that claim to enhance the fish’s natural colors, along with a slight boost in growth rate. Each tank was set up identical to the others. All were bare bottom, housed five juvenile M. estherae fry, a 15-watt cool white fluorescent light, versa top lids, and small sponge filters that were purchased on the same day from the same supplier. All food used for this test was weighed out using a freshly serviced scale to provide optimum accuracy.

After three months of feeding the M. Estherae groups different color enhancing flakes and pellets here are the results:

-The five that were fed Staple flake, mixed 50/50 with spirulina stayed the same (light orange to almost yellow females and a very, very light blue male).

-The five that were fed HBH color bright and spirulina, (50/50 mix) were deeper red than all the others, but were slightly smaller (females were dark orange to a deep red and the male was deep orange with light blue fins).

-The five on Kens color flake mixed 50/50 with spirulina were close to the color as the ones fed HBH color bright, but were slightly larger than that group.

-The five that were fed OSI color flake, mixed 50/50 with spirulina were slightly deeper red than the control group (fed just staple) and were the same size. The males showed no improvement and they were all about the same size as they started.

-The five that were on Aquaricare color flakes, mixed 50/50 with spirulina were much larger than the others except the ones fed with New Life Spectrum foods, but were slightly deeper red than the ones fed OSI vivid color flake. The male showed no improvement at all.

-And finally the five that were fed New Life Spectrum and spirulina, mixed 50/50 were brighter than the rest, but not as red as the ones fed HBH color bright and spirulina. Females had a nice red color, but the males were a very very bright blue. The fish gained almost twice the amount of growth for the month then all the others.

Well, it wasn't an overly funny joke ........

As far as the feed trial above, I read that when it first came out, and it's too bad that he didn't have one of the tanks on 100% NLS. Pure spirulina is actually not very good when it comes to providing growth in fish, and past a 3-5% inclusion rate it will also not further enhance color, any color.

Also, it would have been interesting to see a side by side test using the same mix of foods, with yellow labs, to see if any of those foods caused a fish that is naturally yellow, to turn orange. This is a common problem with manufacturers who overload their feed with red color enhancers (in some cases dyes & lakes) to achieve certain color enhancement characteristics. It's easy to do, and rather inexpensive as well.

Archived