Photos of new fishroom.

ViS

Take no notice of the yard. It's a work in progress laugh.gif

Here is what me, Ben and Stotto did today in 35 degree heat. Then I went and played Ice hockey tonight. I'm about ready for bed rolleyes.gif

I'll post pics of the inside when I start doing it blush.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awsome!! thumbup.gif Im am in the planning of my fish room at the moment, just waiting for dad to go get the insualted walls from his mate. Your lucky that you can get people to help you as well. LOL.gif Looks good thumbup.gif

The floor is 4.8m x 3m. Gives me two walls of 15 feet worth of racks and a 6 ft rack at the end. The roof is 2.3m high so the racks can go 3 tiers high easy.

We needed to get the roof on yesterday so we didn't have to worry about moisture getting down the walls. It was damn hot laugh.gif

There is still a lot of Silastic and Tec screwing to be done but its getting there fast. Was a big day but easy as to put together. I would recommend to anyone wanting to build a fish room to look into it. Just make sure to get the delivery time and place in writing from the supplier.

Looks great Andy and has a professional finish, unlike other forms of insulation I have seen. What is the best way to combat moisture on the walls? I think cold room panels will be the way I go too. I have seen a few nice set-ups using this media.

Andrea smile.gif

What is the best way to combat moisture on the walls?

I have a couple of options. I could get a low wattage 12v camping fan and connecting it directly to the terminals of my UPS, to be used for airflow in the room. I might use a couple of the homemade 12v adapter computer fans in the walls up high to draw out moisture, or I might get a whirlybird. All can be added after the tanks go in, so I might wait and see how air circulation in the closed room goes first.

Looking very good! Will there be any plumbing for waterchanges etc?

My plan is put a tap / hose connection through the wall so All I have to do is connect the hose to the outside connector on the shed and the hose inside will be permanently connected to the inner connection. This will just be for filling my water change drums. The sumps will flow to outside through the walls just like my current setup.

They are made from 6mm colorbond steel sheets inside and out, and the walls have 50mm of polystyrene in between and the roof has 75mm. The steel is the same as any colorbond shed is made from except it's flat and not formed.

The panels are heavier than they look (especially the roof sections). Those 75mm roof panels can span up to 5 metres unsupported.

The whole thing is completely self supporting so you'd hope it was solid laugh.gif

LOL.gif Baz

Um yes I meant .6mm not 6mm. You'd need a crane to lift them into place if that were the case. blush.gif

Andrea, the slab (4.8m x 3.6m) is extra thick and extra reinforced at 150mm which was $1500 all inclusive. The shed cost me $3410 including GST and that was all drawings to my specifications, all panels cut to size, a door of my dimensions (I made it a little taller than standard to accommodate stands), and delivery from Brisbane to my door.

Delivery is another matter rolleyes.gif . There was some miscommunication and laziness on their part and they tried to deliver it when I wasn't home, so they took it to a warehouse about 10km away and I had to go get it myself at my own cost (a car trailer hire of $70 and a lot of elbow grease laugh.gif )

All up just shy of $5000. It will take 10 years to recoup what I will save in electricity, but my fish should be much more comfortable and I get my garage back woot.gif

I still have powerpoints and stuff to put in, which will take it over the $5000, but not by much. I'll probably put 8 double powerpoints in it, but only plan to use half of that amount.

It's a nice extra to have if we sell the house too, especially if the new owners are into fish or "hydroponics". It could also be turned into a great little rumpus / spare room away from the house. No sound comes out of it that's for sure. I yelled at the top of my lungs with the door shut and my wife couldn't hear me from 10m away thumb.gif

It's a nice extra to have if we sell the house too, especially if the new owners are into fish or "hydroponics". It could also be turned into a great little rumpus / spare room away from the house. No sound comes out of it that's for sure. I yelled at the top of my lungs with the door shut and my wife couldn't hear me from 10m away

Sounds like a great new drum room, niegbours might get some more sleep LOL.gif

I am hoping to get a fish room made in ther shed soon, just waiting on dad to get the insualtion stuff, What are you doing for heating? did u already say that before?? Thanks, timmy

I'll just use an oil column heater for a couple of hours a night in winter. I'll use trial and error this year and go from there.

Vis,

nice room...

I noticed that you said you'll get your garage back - do you park your car in there at the moment? I was thinking of setting up a couple of big tank in my garage but I wasnt too sure if I'll freak the fish out everytime i drive the car into the garage

Thushy

I use to have my tanks in the garage but ensured the tanks lights were on a timer so that if it was dark the lights stayed on till I put the car away. The odd times I did get home and the timer had turned the lights off I just drove in with the lights on parkers and they were fine or I used the light from the house.

I use to have my tanks in the garage but ensured the tanks lights were on a timer so that if it was dark the lights stayed on till I put the car away. The odd times I did get home and the timer had turned the lights off I just drove in with the lights on parkers and they were fine or I used the light from the house.

thanks Ben. Now I just need to level the garage floor and I'm all set smile.gif

Archived