The Heat

parrdog

Sorry to hear about your losses guys. I lost 2 bn's not because of the heat but they jumped out of the tank.

xdc you said your koi spawned??? very weird time of year for them to spawn and normally they spawn when the temp drops not increases, it may have been stress forcing them to release their eggs.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best I can recommend to those that don't have well-insulated fishrooms and aircon, is the following:

1. Turn off your tank lighting

2. Take off the lids and cover the tank in some type of mesh or netting (to stop the fish jumping out)

3. Direct a fan onto the tanks water surface and, very importantly, direct the air onto where your spraybar is located or whatever creates the water flow.

The fan directs cool air onto the water surface which is being circulated around the tank.

This method has it's limitations but it can lower the tank a couple of degrees and most importantly, keeps the tank well oxygenated.

Fish can generally handle the heat iteself, but they use more oxygen in coping with increased temperatures. Thus the reason we sometimes have losses is because a bubbler that usually suffices on a normal cool day can't provide enough O2 on a hot day.

You may also think why blow hot 40 degree air onto a hot tank? It's the airflow onto an open surface in conjuction with water circulation that's important.

Also bear in mind your room may cool by 2am at night but your tank with lids on won't. With lids off, fans and water circulation I assure you it'll lower the temp in the tank if the room cools.

I live in Brisbane, in a 65 year old Queenslander house, and I've never lost fish during the hot days we get up here, using this method.

thumb.gif

wui - yeh that couldve been it....there were eggs but not like a proper session (~6wks ago)

guess we'll find out in a few days

edit: my (limited) understanding for koi was any sudden temp change up or down.

the last one was induced by a water change on a warm-ish day

Sorry for people's losses sad.gif

We maintained the high twenty's in the fish room as in my previous post smile.gif with no losses. We did however suffer a 2 hour blackout once the southerly hit just to further stress out our fish. Thank goodness for the UPS's thumb.gif connected to the 95% of our tanks that are powered by air.

Isn't the cool air terrific today?

Aline

First summer in a new apartment on the top floor. I was out for brunch and by the time I got home yesterday I had 3 losses. Including my favourite - a Fronnie I have had for about 2 years (bought as fry) cryblow.gif I also haven't seen my peppermint brislie for a couple of days.....

I need to stock up on ice and hope like hell it isn't hot this summer when I am at work.

Not exactly thrilled. sad.gif

It got to 45 outside but luckily my tanks only got up to 32. With lots of water circulation and a water change in the afternoon none of the inhabitants looked any worse for the wear. smile.gif

I've got heaps of water circulation in all of my 15 tanks in the garage, and no heaters have been on in any tanks over the past 4-5 days, but with the extreme heat yesterday and the fact that the air conditioning guy couldn't make his appointment on the 22nd of December I've suffered the following losses:-

14 x 25-35cm 7 Bar Frontosas

19 x adult breeding A. comp Firefins(Kigoma)

25 x adult breeding black calvus

389 x 6 bar frontosa fry

467 x black calvus juvies

80+ x black calvus fry

131 x 7 bar frontosa fry

15 x bristlenose

What survived was:

1 x 15cm 7 Bar frontosa female

6 x peppermint bristlenoses who spawned this morning!!!!!!!!!

30-40 x black calvus juvies.

Although I did water changes throughout the day to try to keep the temps down, it wasn't enough to keep these guys alive as when I did a water change and got the tank temps down to 29 from 33, within one and a half hours the temps soared to 35+ on all the tanks and when I walked back into the fish rooom I noticed everyone was doing backstrokes.

Happy New Year, I think not in my case,and hope that no one else had the same experience I did.

Hey

Well my heart deffinately goes out to you frontyking that is a hell of alot of money to lose mate. Wow over 500 frontosa mate including big 7 bars.

Well all i can say to people is have your tanks somewhere where the air con will get to them like mine. My tanks stayed at even 28 all week. No losses and more breeding

Cheers

Cameron

Nick, that freakin' sux big time mate sad.gif . I felt sick reading your post. I really hope you get some awesome luck real soon. I bet you feel like taking a baseball bat down to a certain air conditioning retailer angry.gif . I hope you are cancelling your order with whoever it was that stitched you up by not keeping their appointment angry.gifangry.gif .

Once again, so sorry (and angry),

Jamie.

Thanks for your kind words guys and yes Jamie, I called the air con guy up today to cancel the appointment for tomorrow and why I'm cancelling, and in return he offered to install the air con for one third of the total price which comes to $450. Sure it won't bring my fish back, but it will help a bit on the pocket seeing as I suffered a huge blow.

Wui, a friend of mine came over this morning to give me a hand with shutting down a few tanks, seeing as there are no fish in them now, and after seeing a tear or two running down my cheek he asked me, being in the seafood industry for 16 odd years, don't you get used to seeing dead fish? I told him his services were no longer needed for the day and he asks why? My answer was, alot of the adult fish I lost yesterday I have had for over 8 years so you can imagine how attached I was to them considering each and everyone of them I had given a name based on it's character. In saying that, yes it did get me down losing all these fish, but I feel even worse knowing that I did all I could at that time and there was nothing else I could do to prevent what had happened.

Camo, I think if the air con came on the 22nd as it was supposed to, none of this would have taken place.

cryblow.gif

Nick

That's horrible news sad.gif

Sounds like some of us should be considering ourselves lucky. I cannot imagine how it would feel to be wiped out that bad.

Wui, a friend of mine came over this morning to give me a hand with shutting down a few tanks, seeing as there are no fish in them now, and after seeing a tear or two running down my cheek he asked me, being in the seafood industry for 16 odd years, don't you get used to seeing dead fish? I told him his services were no longer needed for the day and he asks why? My answer was, alot of the adult fish I lost yesterday I have had for over 8 years so you can imagine how attached I was to them considering each and everyone of them I had given a name based on it's character.

Sorry to say this mate but the conversation between would have sounded funny if you didn't know the circumstances. I can imagine his point of view would be that they are just things to sell and eat.

Once again sorry about your loss, if I can be any help in the future let me know (although I'm moving away from cichlids atm) wink2.gif

I don't know what to say FrontyKing sad.gif

It's odd that "down south" has temp related problems & up here doesn't? huh.gif

Holy schwepps. That is heavy, serious loss.

Ok..I may have lost a few but that is nothing compared to the massacre you experienced. I'm sure everyone who reads your story will feel a pang of shock and I'm sure a bucketload of sympathy. Even though all that won't even come close to making you feel much better. I hope you don't get too down about things and your new aircon keeps ticking for many years.

Sorry to hear of your substantial losses Nick!

Remember the massive contribution u have made to the hobby by diligently keeping and breeding these frontosa and calvus! I am sure many who have brought fish from u know of the expertise and the love u put into your fish keeping with the exceptional juveniles u have sold to them. I know u are in it more for the luv of the fish than the money side of things! So don't dwell too long on the unfortunate losses but remember that u have the ability to start all over again and this time u will be prepared.

Look on the bright side...u can start a colony of Zaire Blues or even import some Wildcaught Tropheus! thumb.gif It is a New Year...so forgot the past and plan for a new an exciting future!

Ps..are the trophs ok?

Oh Nick..I too felt ill when I read your post cryblow.gifcryblow.gifcryblow.gif I don't know what to say except that when it really comes down to it, they are just fish (not human loved ones).

Andrea sad.gif

i am thankful i insulated my garage last year. got sick of disgustingly high winter heating costs and put a whole lot in. the benefit is about 8 degrees difference this summer. it used to be that the garage was hotter than outside, now it rarely gets up over 28 in my tanks. all i found with the heat was an increase in spawns due to the tanks going up about a degree or two.

nick, i truly feel for your loss. hope you can come back from it. if nothing else, like dave said at least you can try your hand at something else.

Thank you everyone for your support and kind words.

Andrea, I know that they are 'just fish' and the attachment to them was not the same as a human attachment but as a pet attachment just like owning a dog or cat, which the loss of these adult fish was a similar feeling to when I lost my German Shepherd after 11 years- sad and upsetting and will take me a couple of days to get over as every morning at 2 am I venture out to that furnace of a garage to have my coffee while watching the fish swim around, and now all I see are bare tanks.

Dave, yesterday I moved the moliros in there and they are doing just great. I acquired the whole lot of moliros from Emmanuel today and at least the tanks are starting to look a bit better with fish swimming around them. Love the T's!

The air con man came around today to wire up the garage for the air con to go in tomorrow and apologized a million times for the loss I incurred and I am very grateful to him for that and the fact he's now not charging me for the supply and install of the unit! clap.gif

Gav, I was going to insulate the garage in June 05 but a decision came up to knock down the shack we live in and rebuild, so I thought an air con for now, although a bit late, would be a quick fix.

Once again guys, thank you for your support, and to anyone out there who has lost even one fish due to this heat we've been having, trust me, I feel for you!

Nick.

Hi Nick,

I wasn't under valuing the loss of your fish...just putting it into perspective (compared to those who have lost everything in the fires for example). I feel for you, believe me.

Andrea cryblow.gif

G'day Nick

I am so sad for your terrible loss.

I understand how you feel, I remember the feeling when my old german shepherd died sad.gif

They are our pets and more important than some people I know.

Keep ya chin up mate thumb.gif

Archived