The Heat

parrdog

G'day All,

Hope everyone's fish are coping with the heat.

Maybe we could put up our little tricks we use to keep those temps down and keep the gilled ones happy smile.gif .

I freeze drink containers and float them in the tank. I also point a fan at the surface with the lids off, I also keep the light off when it's really hot. I also make sure the water surface is well agitated. My tank has hit a peak of 29 degrees but no higher.

Has anyone else got any more tips.

Hope you guys out west are coping ok,

Jamie.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My fish room is at 27 laugh.gif but its only 33 degrees outside ATM. My inside tank (Tropheus) is at 30.1 and it will get another degree higher before it gets cooler

Josh

Guest parallel

Hi,

I use the same method float a chilled bottle on the top. But today my tank hits 32.5 degrees. Now I'm blasting the tank with a fan. dntknw.gif

I'm thinking of buying a small portable fridge from K-Mart and mod it to fit my canister. What do anyone think?

I'm thinking of buying a small portable fridge from K-Mart and mod it to fit my canister. What do anyone think?

I think that's a very expensive way to cool a tank. As long as the temp doesn't get 35 degrees or more, the fish should be ok as long as there is sufficient air / water movement. My tanks are sitting on 32/33 most days. Can't wait until my coolroom / fishroom is delivered in a few days bigsmile.gif

I turn on my Airconditioner, (the cheap window ones) and let it run during the day. It keeps the tanks around 25~27 degrees.

This morning when I woke up, one tank was already 31!

Now as a habit, on my main tank, I leave the hood and glass lid open. The evaporation seems to help abit.

Though in extreme heat, I also turn the lights off.

Can't wait until my coolroom / fishroom is delivered in a few days  bigsmile.gif

You're a man full of surprises Andy smile.gif How long have you been planning this for? Sounds like a fun project thumb.gif

I find doing a water change in the late afternoon helps cool the tanks down a bit. I've never tried floating ice. For those who do it, how many degrees does it seem to drop the tank and for how long?

I find doing a water change in the late afternoon helps cool the tanks down a bit. I've never tried floating ice. For those who do it, how many degrees does it seem to drop the tank and for how long?

I found it make no difference in my 6 foot tank. In smaller tanks it might help, but I found that 30 degree water will melt the frozen water in about half and hour. I have water aging the shed and it is at 30+ degrees doing water changes wont help me today. Its 11.45 and its already pasted 40 confused.gif. I will just spend all arvo in the fish room

Josh

Yeah having aged water wont help much I guess.

Us lazy folk who do water changes straight from the tap seem to have the advantage here. The water from the tap is coming out at around 23 degrees I think smile.gif

I am almost melting at 42 degrees in the rooms upstairs where the aircon won't reach dry.gif

and the tanks downstairs in all rooms are a happy 27 - 29 degrees smile.gif might have to go in with them LOL.gifwoot.gif

Happy New year all thumb.gif

Aline

Well here in Whyalla the temp was consistantly 40oc and over. At one point it was 47oc in the shade and the study/fishroom was 45oc. I simply steered cold air into the fish room using pedastal fans and it did the job. I took the front lids off the aquariums and the temp of the water went from 32-29 in the space of a couple of hours. Another way of cooling was suggested to me a while back by Ash. He said he has pc fans hooked up to blow air over the surface of the water for evaporative cooling. It would be great if ash could run us through how he did it. Either that of just take your lids off and run fans over the surface of your water.

Yeah, my 6x2x2 is hovering around 30-34ºC and has been for the two weeks. I'm amazed at just how bullet proof the fishies are. The agro is up a bit but so is the breeding! I've also been taking out tank water in 6ltr tubes and freezing overnight, throwing them in the morning but they melt in about 5 minutes. Don't know if it's helping them but it makes me feel a bit better about the situation bigsmile.gif

glenn

I had a bad day. I was out away from home today and when i came back at 8pm my 3 footer and 6 footer were at 40 and 38 degrees respectively.

two bristle noses and two venustus fry in the 3 footer died:(

and 12 monster fish in the 6 footer died including my whole fusco colony (male was 25-26cm).

I did an immeditate water change but it was a sad night. Surprisingly when i first saw the tank there were a few floaters, but all the male venustus' were flairing up and still trying to breed with the females in 38 degree water, they seem to be extremely hardy.

I was angry I didn't get home earlier today, but there wasn't much i could do.

Usually those temperatures are the norm for perth at this time of the year...thankfully we are yet to experience the heat. I guess it is an ominous sign for the coming few months though sad.gif

Andrea smile.gif

ive got an outdoors tank that peaked at 36C at 10pm

fish looked fine until i just came back...and its abt 32C

1 of 9 clowns passed n the rest r gasping for air

20% tap water change n they appear to be happier

surprisingly 2 sailfin pl*cos survived and r acting wierd.......theyre chasing and brushing tails with each other...surely they cant be breeding?!

ah well with death comes life....

at least the koi spawned

sorry to hear a few of you guys had a bad day

i had a very busy day, but overall a good day, no losses.

in anticipation of the forcasted temps, i filled 3x200ltr drums fri. night.

by 11am today the tanks in an unisulated shed where hitting mid 30's. the change water was around 30/32, i wasn't looking at dropping the temp in the tanks too much,just wanted to freshen them up, with a 50% change, by the time i got to my 3ft plant nusery tank it was around the 38 mark. i set up 2 big industrial fans, 1 pointing out the window, the other pointing at the whirlybird. they didn't seem to drop the shed temp by much, but the tanks stayed steady at low 30's.

the fish room faired a lot better, just reaching 29 in the lower tanks, 30 in the high

tanks, but i still done 25% water changes. as at 10pm everything was holding steady, and with the cool change [???] all should be well overnight. i hope we all have a better day tomorrow.

just as an aside note, we had 47d under the pergola at 2pm!! then the shade from the jackaranda moved over, but i'm sure it got hotter then that around 3/4pm

cheers all; Colin

I dont know how my fish r going? I left my friend to look after them (yes he knows how to) My sun room reaches VERY high temps. I hope my fish r alright.

Im in Vietnam traveling. Thats the only down fall of having fish. I trust my friend but he can't be there all the time. I can't help to worry when u see on the news how hot it is down there. WORRIED sad.gif

4 tanks about 20 fish each tank

2 dead raspboras that i can see right now. Tank temp is 34.5 degrees. Its just my room thats hot. The outside temp tonight is about 25 degrees. There is probably more deaths, but with the lights off i cant see. I know the raspboras a cheap but it still sucks :\ I cant stand the sight of dead fishes. just grosses me out and makes me go funny. Im gonna get wee wEEed off my BN dies. I've had him since i bought the tank almost a year ago. And i also dont want my rainbows to die. grrr. stupid heat! i wish i had the money to buy a chiller.

Not good to hear of others loosing fish. I've been lucky, all survived with party ice and 4 litre lumps. Can't say what temp but off the scale of the stick on thermometer and still at about 32 monday morning. Replaced about 15 litres due to evaporation. A 25% water change may help today. Best part, it's a day off & I can do something about tank temps. thumbup.gif

Archived