Before and after thread

Josh

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andrea

All I did was zoom in and select the Eyedropper Tool and pick up the faint yellow of the eyes. I then used the Brush tool to colour the eyes the selected colour. Then by changing the colour to black and reducing the Brush diameter to 3 pixels I was able to draw the eyes.

I then used the Filter - Artistic - Watercolour function to get the final effect.

Hope that helps

Hi

Thought I would share with you a method of cleaning pictures up in PS. It does not seem to matter how good your filtration system is or how well you clean the glass, spots and speckles produced by particles and small bubbles in the water often appear on a fish photograph. I bet there are not many of you who use photo editing software to clean-up their images who have not applied the clone / healing brush. I am using Photoshop for this example but I am sure it could easily be applied to most editing software.

The method may not work for every picture and will have its limitations but could be a technique that might be worth trying on occasions The main constraint of the method is that it is going to cause some background blur but that’s not always a bad thing. Keep an eye out for how the background is reacting to the noise filter.

Here’s the start image…taken just after a water change. A messy shot with lots of particles in the water.

user posted image

1) First step is to create a duplicate layer of the background. Make sure the duplicate layer is selected.

2) Go to Filter >>> Noise >>>>>Dust and Sctratches

3) Apply the filter, having adjusted the sliders to produce the desired effect taking note of how the background is reacting. Occasionally some touching up with the clone brush may be required after filter application.

user posted image

You will notice that you image is not looking too sharp at this point!!! Don't panic

4) With the duplicate layer still selected, take the eraser and go over the areas you want to remove the filter from. This may be just the fish, as for this shot, but in other pictures you may also want to bring elements of the foreground such as a stone or rock back into focus.

Nearly there...time to reduce the brush size for the edges.

user posted image

5) You have now finished with the eraser. Obviously for some fish such as those with finely divided fins (Crowntail bettas spring to mind) this erasing process could take a long time. Now it time to flatten the two layers into one image.

user posted image

You may wish to undertake any final touch-ups with a clone brush. Looking at this shot I would probably now go back and clone out the red area around the tail but at least this photo series shows the technique.

6) A final sharpen and exif stamp script

user posted image

By the way I still do not now for sure what species this is...lol. Some kind of Copadichromis I think

Cheers

Rich

I've just been going through a bunch of images, and looking at some "rejects". Ten minutes later, I've managed to rescue a recent image from what appeared to be a dud:

Before:

user posted image

After:

user posted image

Before:

user posted image

After:

user posted image

With a few minutes editing, it's possible to generate a reasonable image from what initially appeared to be a dud. Most of the editing wad done using "levels".

Cheers, Frank

Ged

Do you mean that your photos are washed out before you put them through Photoshop, or they come out washed out after you adjust them in Photoshop?

If it's the former, then your camera is over-exposing. Depending on the type of camera you have, and it's degree of manual control, you can overcome this. It's a matter of understanding your camera's exposure mode, and knowing how to set up with the correct exposure.

If the latter, then it's simply a matter of getting to learn how to use the "levels" (mainly) control in Photoshop. Once you have a handle on levels, then look at contrast, colours, hue/saturation etc. There are heaps of Photoshop tutorials on the web. They're all aimed at different levels of proficiency. Here's one I just called up via Google:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorial...photoshop.shtml

If you need more help, just holler. smile.gif

Cheers, Frank

Ged

Layers and levels are not the same thing. However, you can use an adjustment layer to alter your levels. Sounds confusing, but just keep googling for photoshop help and tutorials on the web. There are literally hundreds of them. These places are also quite good (explain it better than I could):

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshoptutorials/

http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorials/Photoshop/1

Are you letting your photo editing software adjust your images automatically? Sometimes they do a good job, sometimes not. It's better to adjust manually most of the time. Also, how long since you "calibrated" your monitor. Photoshop comes with a program called "Adobe Gamma Utility". These are explained here:

http://www.technologyforall.com/TechForAll/photoshop.html

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/321608.html

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I'm just trying to cover all your options.

HTH smile.gif

Frank

• 2 weeks later...
Budi could you share some of your techniques please?

errrr not really laugh.gif it's for the 1st time i tried that technique.

anyway... firstly I created a duplicate layer and then went from there.

In the duplicate layer:

- did level adjustments,

- darkened the background using burn tool, and

- played a lot with the blending options

I repeated those steps until the image (esp. the dark BG) turned out the way I wanted it.

well not bad... 1st time I was using another layer to edit the image.

Took me at least 20 mins. hopefully i'll know what i'm really doing next time blush.gif

Lastly, color balance was corrected and image was sharpened.

Archived