Before and after thread

Josh

I thought it would ba a good Idea to show case some peoples skills on photoediting programs. I usually adjust the contrast, brightness and colour if needed and might sharpen them up a bit. Today I got a bit bored and thought I would play with photo shop a bit. I am no expert and I would hate to think what an expert could do, if I can get a result like this.

I am hoping some others will show us whether they are good with their camera or good with their software LOL.gifLOL.gif

The before photo

user posted image

the after shot.

user posted image

They are Aline's Lufubu and they are spectacular fish

Josh

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I didnt explain it well LOL.gif sorry Nova fishy

I wanted to see bad photos that people have taken and turned into something decent.

Nice work on the tropheus pic too

thumb.gif

Josh

Great idea for a thread Josh!!

I have been arguing all along that u don't have to be a skilled photographer to get professional tack-sharp photos but all u need is a spare $1000 to spend on a post-processing programme like Photoshop!!!

I think people have to realise that raw digital photos always need some postprocessing to get the most of out the shot. This is what people do with film photos in the darkroom!

Here is an example that i got some photo forum to process that maybe a lot of u have seen already:

Before:

user posted image

After:

user posted image

Ps. Where did u guys buy your photoshop and how much u paid for it?

Dave

Photo shop 7 free from my old man

excellent thread even though i have this programme i have no idea how to use it funny this thread has started now cause i was playing with it last night got the crop thing worked out but no idea about blur, sharpen ect. So any help in this would be great.

Also those picture frame type borders some people have on their pics are you able to do it with photoshop 7 ?

oh i work out how to put a water mark on the photos though

thanks matty

and again fantastic thread

The post just improved 50% smile.gif. I didn't want to have to remove any posts but I thaught it was a good enough thread to save, the posts that went off topic did the thread no justice. Any problems PM me.

Anthony

PS: If you didn't notice Ged and I removed the posts at the same time, kinda freaky huh?

Little swimmer...I hope you don't mind, but I've used your photo to demonstrate a few techniques - it's a great phot, so please don't take offence.

user posted image

1. Adjust the levels - Image>Adjustments>Levels move the right slider back to make the image darker, then move the middle slider to the right bring out the mid-tones.

2. Use the clone/stamp tool to fix up any "battle scars".

3. Use the Burn tool to make the background black.

10 minutes work, and you don't need that black background on your tank!

Hope this helps give you a start with Photoshop. Little swimmer, hope you don't mind what I've done. I couldn't help myself! I love the fish and your composition.

Cheers, Frank

When i get home, or get my computer, i will have a go at it in PS, and see what i can do. If i can get something i like using just filters, i will see if i can make it into an action and upload it for you all smile.gif

Ant

Looks like you've darkened the background nicely. What was the original image liKe? Looks like the area behind the gills is quite overexposed. Perhaps if you post the "before" shot, we could try to rescue some of the lost detail. I'm no expert, so if somebody else wants to have a go, please do.

Cheers, Frank

definitely too overexposed. what you did was to lower the right slider to the left too much. this will overexpose it making the light parts TOO light. don't bring it to the left too much.

IMO, i reckon a black background can sometimes be "too fake". try to incorporate some of the background, dont darken it too much. it will add abit more "life" to the photo if some background is in the shot. its all about juxtapositioning. hah! bigsmile.gif

yeh, do post the BEFORE pic...so we get an idea what the original was like.

Ant

While I was waiting, I had a play with "layers". Learn to use layers, and you can do really cool things!

user posted image

Filter>Extract>use the brush to trace around the part you want to keep. Then use the fill tool to select the inner bits, then extract. Create a new layer from another file, and then comprss the two together. My explanation is not the best. Best to get a book with examples and work your way through them.

Cheers

Frank

Ok my turn for a play. I managed to darken things a bit, and bring out a little more colour and brightness in the fish, but I cannot find the burn tool anywhere. Where should I look for it?

Any other hints or tips? Is there a way to sharpen the image a bit?

Before

user posted image

After

user posted image

Baz.

The sharpen tool is under "filter". Yes, the photo could do with a little sharpening, but don't over do it otherwise it looks too fake.

I've had another play, and now i have another fish in my tank. Who says you shouldn't mix Africans and Americans? Mine are blue acara.

user posted image

Cheers, Frank

Baz

I've applied the sharpen tool (Filter>Sharpen>unsharp mask). Just play around with the controls and see how you go. I also burnt in a bit around the face and eye to tone down the overexposure:

user posted image

Cheers, Frank

Baz

Go to your floating toolbox. See the seventh tool down on the right. right click on it, and choose burn tool. Set the radius of the circle (look alsong the top under the menu bar), and set the exposure. Use 100% for the background, and 50% for the head of the fish. Just click and move the mouse. The image will go darker.

Hope I've explained it OK (depending on your version of photoshop and how you've set up the menus).

Cheers, Frank

The first thing I do with a photo is get rid of all the dots and crap in the background. Here is an example of Baz's picture.

To do this use the "Healing Brush Tool" it's in the shape of a bandaid.

Right click to get the right size of the cursor, and then push Alt to define a source colour. Click on the speck that you don't want.

Please let me know if you still don't understand

The Healing tool is your friend. Use it! thumb.gif

user posted image

user posted image

Archived