Before and after thread

Josh

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gidday Frank,

Could I impose on you one afternoon to take some shots of some of my fish and set-ups as my camera is really cheap and nasty. I would be interested to see what an experienced photographer with the right gear can do hug.gif I'm sure I can rustle up some rock or more tubes for you thumb.gif

Andrea smile.gif

PS> I always liked this shot but it could do with some finishing...anyone want to improve it for me?

user posted image

cheers!

Andrea

I'd be happy to oblige. The only experience I have with fish is with slow-moving and inquisitive acaras. (I'm still learning, and getting advice off the forums). I guess if the fish move too fast, we could always cools the tanks down to around 10C.

Did you know that's what the Attenborough team do when filming those little critters. They bung them in the fridge, then bring them out a short while later, plonk them on the set, and take a heap of snaps. Of course the frog or lizard is too cold to move!

ps Andrea - PM me the original file you want enhanced. It's better to work with the image before it's been resized for the web.

Cheers Frank

Hey guys,

Ok this is Colin - Waz' son, I've jumped on here quickly to add to this really useful thread. Here's my example of how useful photoshop can be to get the most out of your pics.

Here's a photo I managed to salvage of dad's Nandopsis tetracanthus (Cuban Cichlid). When he took the photo he left the flash on and thuoght the photo was runied, until I played with it in photoshop.

Here's the before shot:

user posted image

and after some editing....

user posted image

Here's what I did:

First I removed the "white ball" by using simply copy and paste tools. I looked at what was behind this mark (the blue background) and looked for as similar an area elsewhere in the photo. I then copied that area and pasted it (as a new layer) and moved it over the top of the flash mark. I then played around with a couple thigs to get it to look real - using the eraser tool to take off the edges of the selected area, first at 100%, then at 50% then at about 20% (you can adjust the pressure/opacity in the top toolbar under the Window and Help menus)

I also found I had to add some blue 'streaks' across it to match the light reflection pattern in the original background (you might need to look at the pic again to see what i mean) I did this simply by using the eyedropper tool and clicking on one of the original blue streaks (to select the exact colour I wanted) then added these lines by simply using the airbrush tool.

After fixing up the background area, the area around the fish's mouth looked too light, so I simply copied that area and pasted it (as another new layer) in it's original place. I then adjusted the brightness/contrast of this small area to darken it down so it didn't stand out as much anymore. As most of you reading this will have worked out already, the reason I had to copy and paste this small area of the fishes mouth/face, was so that I could darken this small area ONLY and not the entire photo.

OK hope I've not lost anyone too much there. Like most tips you will read on photoshop techniques, this may sound like a lot of work, but it really isn't. These are a couple very simple principles and you can have a fairly decent job done in about 5 or 10 mins I reckon, then if you want you can spend as much or as little time as you like trying to prefect it. If anyone has any questions about this photo or similar editing techniques I'll be happy to try to help.

-Col

(Son of Waz)

PS> I always liked this shot but it could do with some finishing...anyone want to improve it for me?

user posted image

cheers!

Here you go Andrea. This is my version of your duck. Although not much needs to be done to the picture in the first place.

I just mucked around by blurring the background and altering the colours. smile.gif

user posted image

I normally use a much simplier program than Photoshop but here is my attempt at following Frank's instructions.

user posted image

More an educational shot rather than an artistic one LOL.gif

I have tried to put a border around the edge but can't seem to work it out and I would also like to improve the look of the female. So any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Ged

Andrea

I've had a go at the photo you posted....boy a real challenge! I adjusted the colour balance a bit, a bit of sharpening, and adjusted the lighting levels. It's quite a grainy image. If you have a higher resolution image, would work out better.

Matty, your idea of blurring the background was good. This draws the focus to the duck. I tried using layers and radial blur, but I couldn't get it right.

Anyone else had much success?

user posted image

Cheers, Frank

Nice work guys! Matty's one does make your eyes feel funny...is it the feeling that the water is moving?? Frank..the pic. was taken with a pre-digicam bigsmile.gif I will try to scan it with higher resolution to see if the graini-ness is lessened. I took a few rolls of film trying to catch that shot, but still didn't quite get it. It will be a challenge for you to photograph these Tropheus and some of the mbuna yes.gif

Andrea smile.gif

Andrea

Do you still have the negatives? May be worth a go scanning from the negative. You've "captured the moment" well. We just need to translate it from film to digital.

On the subject of photographing your Tropheus etc, I'm happy to give it a go. You can only take so many photos of Acara. I need new subject matter! It's all good practice.

Cheers, Frank

Hey all here is a slightly OT attempt submitted for another forum photoshop comp (which I didn't win sad.gifLOL.gif )

I reckon I butchered it a bit and the colours aren't quite what I wanted, but hey, I gave it a go smile.gif

user posted image

component images (resized)

user posted image

user posted image

I think that the process included extracting, layering, burning, transparancies and colour balancing but it was a little while ago now and I cant remember. Also notice that the tail on my fish is actually not attached in the original photo, that was an add-on. Getting the finnage right was a bit of a pain but I ended up just cutting out the "pre-sand" fin areas, converting to monochrome and overlayed onto the base fish layer using a multiply function to bring out the rin ray texture over the sand texture. To bring it off the sand a feathered blackarea modelled on the fish shape was multiplied onto the plain sand.

-Mat-

Love the ducks Matty and Frank, and great photo to start with Andrea.

Thanks guys. It was done entirely in PS yeah.

It involved extracting various bits of the car and putting it in separate layers. In the end there were about 30 layers. The front bumper was re done from scratch, using colours from the rest of the car. The intercooler pic i got from google (just put an RK on it). Grille was against done from scratch. The guards were copied into new layer, then extended using 'free transform' and just smoothed in using the stamp tool and pixel brush. Wheels were likewise 'free transform'ed then tyres brushed in. Colour was done with Hue/Sat. The kit on the door, and sideskirts were again 'free transform'ed and brushed up. Most of it was just manually painting with brush, or stamp tool. And to make things smoother, I just motion blurred. Hard to write down a how to. But if you guys want to know how i did specific bits, jsut ask, and i can let ya know smile.gif

Wow! 30 layers. My PC would clap out. How come the kids have got the rockets and I'm stuck with the oldest PC in the house?

Anyway, I'll have a go at using the technique on something a little less intricate. I admire you patience, and thanks for the advice.

Cheers, Frank

Well this is only one layer, but I finally tried using the burn tool. Pretty nifty thing. This took about 2 minutes. I can see it being really helpful for aquarium photos, especially if you make the tool small and take your time.

user posted image

user posted image

Andy

Good stuff. Can I suggest adjusting the levels a bit too. The highlights are a bit washed out. Go to Image>adjustments>levels. The settings have a lot to do with how your monitor is set up for brightness and contrast. I got a bit more detail by moving the lest slider to 11 and the middle slider to 0.6. Have a play with it and see what suits your display. Here's my effort:

user posted image

Cheers, Frank

Wow guys, some nice work here.

Seeing all that could be done, I just gave it a quick go with a demo of Photoshop CS2 v9.0 & came up with these...

Before

user posted image

After

user posted image

Used the burn tool & also cloned out a few algae spots on the glass.

Next one, Before

user posted image

After

user posted image

A lot of time with the clone tool to remove all the scratches in the glass, reflection, plus colour correction.

Hows those for first attempts? Where's the cheapest place to get photoshop? bigsmile.gif

Cheers

Ash

Ash

Also consider "Photoshop Elements". It hasn't got as many bells and whistles as Photoshop, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper. I got a version of Elements for free, bundled with a Canon scanner I bought a couple of years ago. Also look at alternatives. Sometimes you can get the full version of photoediting programs free on cover discs of PC magazines.

Most of the effects you've seen on this site are possible using one of these smaller (and cheaper) programs.

Cheers, Frank

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a pic I just did using the healing brush, burn tool, and some cut and paste to cover the undesired imp in the background. I made it B&W first which made it much easier (and was the look I was after anyway).

Took about 30 minutes, and half of that was going back to fix up stuff I should have done right the first time rolleyes.gif

user posted image

user posted image

Archived