DIY foam background

anchar

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice background clap.gif

I am in the middle of doing one very similar thumb.gif Mine is to suit my 8x30x30 i'm in the middle of setting up

user posted image

This is the test fit stage wink2.gif I hope to be starting the epoxy resin tomorrow. I went for a largish rock look for mine due to the size of the tank and the large fish I want to put in there.

What a mess these things create yes.gif By the end of cutting the wife called me Mr Snowman laugh.gif

What thickness stryene did you use for yours Merjo?? I used 100mm stuff, Fantastic for creating patterns into thumb.gif

Cheers

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I used a number of inch thick sheets and stuck them together as it was cheaper than buying a thicker block. I know what you mean by snowman...what a mess! This is the first one I have done, so it has been a learning curve...there are a few things I'd do differently next time around.

Andrea smile.gif

Both look fantastic! Well done. clap.gif

Thanks fellas...I changed it again (woman's perogative you know rolleyes.gif ). I have decided to match it to some shell/limestone conglomerate I have.

user posted image

Some close ups of the texture....

user posted image

user posted image

And the real rock I am matching it to...

user posted image

Andrea smile.gif

Far out Andrea, that looks bloody unreal thumbup.gif . You have managed to match that background to the rocks perfectly. I'm sure you would get much interest if you dabbled in selling these works of art smile.gif .

Keep the updates coming, I'm lovin' it,

Jamie.

Looking really good thumb.gif

How badly do you think the concrete will raise the pH?

There looks to be a few kg's of it there. Are you sure it won't push the pH up over 9.0?

I was toying with the idea of making my own concrete caves etc, but decided against it as it leaches a few chemicals and puts the pH up too much (even for most africans).

You're right..it does push the pH up over 9 but if you cure it with salt water (fill, empty, fill, empty etc) it will eventually stabilise at a pH of around 8.5. This process takes about 3 weeks from what I've read, but I'll know more once I try it for myself.

I have some cross bred Tropheus that I can try it out on woot.gifwoot.gif J/k MM....the babies aren't going near it LOL.gif

Andrea smile.gif

Hmmmm...

Tell me if it works, as I'll make up a heap of concrete stuff and put it at one of my dive sites for a month or so, and let the tide do the work for me smile.gif

so you're not sealing it with anything, just curing it? a lot of the DIY guides have people sealing these backgrounds with some sort of latex stuff or fibreglass resin to stop the concrete leaching thing happening.

When you first fill the tank, can you run a daily / weekly chart of pH levels for us please?

I take it you'll let it sit without fish in it for a few weeks first?

Just a point to note is that fibreglass resin is not no.gif suitable for use in any aquarium you will need to find an Epoxy resin that is suitable for a Potable water use yes.gif

Looking fantastic Merjo clap.gif If you find it does leach too many chemicals into your tank you could always seal it with epoxy resin and throw some sand at it to keep it looking realistic dntknw.gif

Cheers

Stuart

Andrea...looks amazing, better than Universal rocks anyday! And did u know how much that company ask for their pieces?

U never cease to amaze me! I think u have found yourself another lucrative business. I am sure many of us will be asking for "Merjo Natural Rockscapes"!

Keep up the good work! And remember your friends when u become filthy rich!

DAve

LOL.gif @ Dave...it's still very much in the "developmental" stage.

Jamie> I am still drying the original piece. I just want to make sure it is dried right through as there were quite a few coats of cement that went on it.

Andrea smile.gif

Archived