DIY foam background

anchar

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here might be a quick tip from all us concrete pond builders.

to let the concrete cure a little quicker if you can soak the entire thing in water and pour concentrated hydrochloric acid so that the ph goes very acidic. This will leach the alkalinity out of the concrete just that little bit quicker.

I did it with my 2000L pond and in 1 week the ph had already stabilised

I put a second cement coat on today and put more detail into the rock work. Here's how it's looking atm...

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

The fun part starts when I have to try to locate some rocks that will blend into the background woot.gif

Andrea smile.gif

Nice one Andrea, dont forget to sign both your artworks before you glue them in place LOL.gif

-Mat-

I found some granite today that loosely resembled by rock wall. I had to re-sculpt it in places to make is resemble the granite more closely. Anyway, here is the re-sculptured wall....just got all the colours to add now..

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Andrea smile.gif

Absolutely gobsmackingly brilliant woot.gifthumb.gifthumbup.gifsmile.gif !!!!!

Yes, I am excited about these backgrounds that Andrea is making. They are beautiful and leave commercial ones we have in this country for dead. Andrea, yours are up there with 'Back to Nature' pieces. I hope you decide to start making these for profit, if it's viable, surely they would be quite popular.

Congratulations again on some outstanding pieces of artwork,

Jamie.

Jamie...slow down mate! Between the Tropheus posts and this one you are gonna have a heart attack! hug.gif

Let's hope they don't go pear shaped once they are in the aquarium blink.gif ....only half way there so far cool.gif

Andrea smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Ok...first one is in the tank and filled with salt water. It occured to me (not unlike Newton pondering under the apple tree) that the lemon tree, under which the tank stands, may provide some help with curing. Hence all the the floating chopped up lemons woot.gif Now it looks like a giant party margerita, complete with salt and lemon slices LOL.gif...actually now that I come to think of it...not unlike some of the Army parties we held cool.gif

user posted image

user posted image

Andrea smile.gif

Lemons... They dont by any chance call you an "ideas girl" do they? LOL.gif

nice bit of lateral thinking though, I just hope it doesn't go all manky and nasty when the fruit begins to rot.

Archived