Electricity Bill

mickgibbo

Hello I just got my latest electricity bill and couldnt beleive how much it was. I have 8 tanks running from fry tanks with individual heaters to 300w heaters in my 4 footers.

What setup do you have and whats the average bill worth or fish room extra expence per quater.

Thanks

Mike

Hi,

Just moved back in with the folks a few months ago and just got the quarterly bill. The bill has gone up by approx. $100.00 per quarter.

I am running one 3 footer and one 5 footer. Power items are as follows:

1 x 2500lt/h sump pump

1 x 3500lt/h sump pump

1 x Eheim 2215 Canister

1 x 300watt heater

1 x 150watt heater

1 x twin 3' fluro (9hrs per day)

1 x twin 4' fluro (10hrs per day)

This rise in cost does not take into account other non fish related activities since i moved back in.

How much above what you expected was your electricity bill?

Regards,

Chris

Hi,

I pay my bills fortnightly and with my fish room running for the past 9 months my bill went up $28 per fortnight x $728. I run an air pump, water pump,an electric oil heater and several 4' floro lights. I also have 3 tanks in the house but they were already running. All in all not too badI think considering it was not running over summer so I suspect that the costs will not increase much from now and I am currently running 19 tanks.

cheers

rosco

4 x heaters in 4x tanks inside & a fish room to heat costs " Us" about $100 extra in winter. I only run one heater in the fish room on a timer and thermostat, its lined with coolroom foam 75mm thick.

Im experiencing the same sort of costs, I know my set up is very uneconomical.

My bill is 3 times more then whay we used to pay when i didnt keep fish.

Its getting rediculous now and im sick of getting a bill every 3 months that i know wouldnt be that much if i didnt keep fish

When you guys use a gas or oil heater in your fish rooms, do you have a fan nearby to disperse the heat around the whole room?

I forgot to mention a 30 cm fan as well. It is also connected to the thermostat so it only comes on when the heater switches on. At the moment I don't have the maximum amount of insulation as I have windows along one wall and a few small drafts from door gaps. I have a plan to effectively double insulate the windows and fix the drafts but myI have to find the time.

I have r4 bats on the 3 and half of the walls. The half comes half way up the fourth wall with the windows covering the rest. With nights dropping to -6 and below I really need to do something more, but I just have not quite gotten around to it, I gues I just don't want to say that I am finished LOL.gif

cheers

rosco

I put an extra rack in my room at the end of summer, increasing the number of tanks out here from 8 to 20.

During winter we were blowing the breaker on this circuit a few times when all the heaters were on and my wife also tried to use the washing machine (also out here). She was most unimpressed LOL.gif

In the house we have ducted gas heating, and this room shares a wall with the house. I got a gasfitter to come out and add an extra vent from the house heating so that when the house heating comes on, this room gets heated also.

Our house is heated to 22 degrees from around 5am to 9am, and then also from 5pm to 11pm, so during these hours my tank heaters only need to work a little bit to get the temp from 22 up to 25.

I also spent some time sealing the gaps under doors and hung an old doona over the window. Next step is to insulate the ceiling rolleyes.gif

Already I can notice a difference in the general air temp out in here, so I know the heaters must not be working as hard. Even at 3am the room still feels warm, but before this work it was freezing at that time of the night.

A month or so after I did all this work we got a power bill and it was HUGE!

I hope to see an improvement on that bill next winter after the work I have done thumb.gif

My bills are around $700.00 this time of the year...but they are every 2 months. This figure is for two houses with a total of about 60 tanks....most are individually heated.

Andrea smile.gif

With 15 tanks running and each one individually heated plus the fact that every winter my wife brings out the 2 oil heaters (one for our room and one for the kids), which account in my opinion for half the cost of the bill which was a whopping $1000.12. What a beauty!

Sounds like it's time to take down the tanks, Save the extra money you would have spent on the old electricity bill, And move to more tropical areas!

Just imagine... Tanks without heaters! woot.gif Would be heaven...

I have no idea what our bills are, Dad pays them. lol. But i cut down on my tanks and i only have 2 running now... (And my sister has 3)

Cameron.

LOL.gif I now feel real tight fisted reading some of the above amounts. I get flustered over a quarterly bill under $400. I have only 1 display tank running but I have a pool and a family of six. Maybe I won't stress too much anymore when the wife has the heater running most of the day..

my quarterly bills are about $550

i have 18 tanks, 17 in the uninsulated single garage, powered by a reverse cycle aircon, a door is pretty much left ajar all the time for the damm cat!, big steel rollar door doesnt help either, i have one small 50 w heater in the tang fry tank near the rolla door, IF it drops below 25. a few power heads going but mainly bubbler filters, also is a spare friudge and plenty of cloths dryer action. 4 x 4 foot flouros going 6 hours a day.

In the house i have the 8x2x2, with 2 x 300w heaters, and a 90w sump pump, and two 4 foot flouros, lights on for 6 hours a day.

during summer we have another aircon in the lounge to cool the big sucker!

i can go maybe 2 months up here without the aircons going one way or the other. as soon as winter ends summwer hits, ie 12 at night at the moment but 31 during the day! reverse cycle is the only option.

Mick

I have around 800lt water in 18 tanks and pay $250 a quarter. All the tanks are in the lounge room of my flat shock.gif which is a good 'ol 50's design solid brick including internal walls so stays cool in summer warm in winter thumbup.gif

Insulation i sthe key. I notice the room temperature drop noticably even if I leave an internal door open during the day. I guess another option is deciding if the tanks really need to be at 28dg, not 26 or 24.

Dean

i have recently set my garage up as a fish room i insulated the roof and walls, I had 8 tanks in there in winter, I heat the room with gas costs less than a dollar a day according to my last bill, and i must say its fantastic whenever i get a new tank i dont have to worry about the expense of another heater and i'm hoping the more tanks i have the longer the room will keep its heat

Cheers Cal

Hi All

My bill was for $1700. Turns out my wife has also been using the cloths dryer during this tie so can't all be blamed on the fish thumb.gif . Still a load of dough and I will need to put up the price on the fry LOL.gif and blame it on the price increase

40 tanks + teenagers = $1200 a quarter for far too long dry.gif New fish room has everything needed to keep it at a happy 26 degrees with no heaters woot.gifwoot.gif plus another 20 tanks thumbup.gif Here's hoping to a drop under a grand at least.

Cheers

Aline

Archived