Bags for transporting fish

timmy2422

Gday. just after some bags for transporting fish but not sure where to go to get them. is there a site that i can buy some from or should i put a WTB in the classifieds?

thanks in advance, Timmy

some LFS will sell them, or even provide them for free if you're lucky & ask whilst buying a bit of other gear.

I collected mine from whenever I purchased a fish, rather than cutting the bag like some people do. I'll run out one day I'm sure.

Yer i might go give the LFS a visit. i was doing that too, saving up bags from fish i bought, had some nice big ones from Nigal, dam LFS cut them.

For some reason, some people cut the bags open to release their fish, rather than undo them.

Think those too lazy to add some tank water to reduce PH shock, undoing a rubber band is too difficult for these people...

I cut the bag shock.gif

Does that make me lazy or unable to undo an elastic band?

Or are some people just too tight dntknw.gif

I cut my bags just below the band, taking the top right off with a pair of scissors. I then use the same method you described Ash, except I have not had to remove the band smile.gif

I always worry about re-using bags in case something nasty is left behind by the last inhabitant.

And if someone is nice enough to buy my fish I reckon the least I can do is present the fish to them in a new bag.

I must say i also cut the bag 90% of the time as my fat fingers dont seem to work so well on tight elastic bands blush.gif

I dont keep the bags but do get some free sometimes from an LFS at hornsby cool.gif

BUT...... they have the big promotional pictures on the front dry.gif

Talk about some people never being happy LOL.gif

For those of you with fat fingers, deep pockets and skinny wallets, instead of cutting the bag why not use a sharp pair of scissors like surgical or cosmetic scissors and cut the lacky band. Or would that be a waste of a perfectly good elastic band LOL.gif . I transport all my fish in buckets these days so i dont need the bags any more but thats how i used to do it.

Bob

I cut the bag shock.gif

Does that make me lazy or unable to undo an elastic band?

Or are some people just too tight  yes.gif

I cut my bags just below the band, taking the top right off with a pair of scissors. I then use the same method you described Ash, except I have not had to remove the band :)

I always worry about re-using bags in case something nasty is left behind by the last inhabitant.

And if someone is nice enough to buy my fish I reckon the least I can do is present the fish to them in a new bag.

so by that logic all 2nd hand fish tanks should be destroyed "just in case"

recycling is bad is it? huh.gif

No, recycling is good, when you collect enough old fish bags put them in the bag recycling bin at Woolies tongue.gif

Ash, I think the difference is this. How many people who re-use bags clean and steralise them properly, compared to how many people who buy second hand equipment clean and steralise it properly...

Also if you bring dirty stuff home and don't clean it first, that is your own stupid mistake and you deserve the consequences (even if your fish don't) However when you pass on potentially contaminated stuff to other hobbiests do they deserve to have to deal with an outbreak of a disease?

I sometimes reuse bags. Usually only the big ones (I don't use enough big bags to warrant buying them, and usually it is an external bag for linking smaller bags as auction lots), and again only good quality ones. I also ensure they are steralised and cleaned to the best of my ability before doing so. But I doubt most people do.

Ash, I think the difference is this. How many people who re-use bags clean and steralise them properly, compared to how many people who buy second hand equipment clean and steralise it properly...

Define properly?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the majority of fish illnesses result from bacteria or parasites - not harder to kill viruses - if the bag is simply rinsed in hot water & left to completely dry, what's left to infect the next fish?

Yes you could wash it in bleach or let it bask in the UV of the sun - but if there's no fish, substrate or water to sustain the organism, which was also emersed in ~60deg+ water to start with - where is this organism surviving for the month or more till you reuse the bag? If it can survive airbourne your brand new bags may well be infected too, and your nets that you've just pulled out of disinfectant to catch them, etc.

I don't think of it as being "cheap" & obviously if you shift a quantity of fish you'll never have enough old bags to reuse so buying a bunch of new ones makes sence - but if you're small time why the hell not reuse them?

Sometimes I think some habits in this hobby defy logic dntknw.gif

OK Ash replace 'properly' with 'at all'.

I would hazard a guess that most (note, not all) people who empty fish out of a bag wouldn't attempt to clean/steralise the bag at all before re-using it and passing it on to someone else.

The point of contamination in new bags is entirely plausible, however with a new bag the chance of the contaminant being inside the bag, where the fish will reside, is substantially smaller IMO.

I am not suggesting it is a 'cheapness' thing, as I said, when a need arises I reuse bags myself.

teflon, I have always split orders with other bobbiests, sorry.

I am sure one of the newcastle boys will have some and I am sure you could grab a handful for a pittance.

Last time I was in a bind (needing 30 odd bags to ship fish on a Sunday), Andy had some bags that he gave me on the Saturday. smile.gif

Depending on the size of the bag Ash, anywhere between 1000 and 1500.

Nick.

so by that logic all 2nd hand fish tanks should be destroyed "just in case"

No, now you're being silly rolleyes.gif

Anyone who buys a 2nd hand tank knows that it has held fish before and if they choose not to clean it that's their own choice.

if the bag is simply rinsed in hot water & left to completely dry, what's left to infect the next fish?

Probably not much. How many hobbyists do you think really do this though?

Everyone does it differently for a different reason. Please stop assuming that those who think differently are wrong. Suggesting they are lazy or unable to undo an elastic band is certainly not helpful no.gif

I have noticed with old bags also they perish easier too and leave little pin hole sized leaks.

I remember filling one up with water so i could throw it at someone and there were leaks, Go figure

Everyone does it differently for a different reason. Please stop assuming that those who think differently are wrong

but by dismissing my opinion, aren't you doing the same? tongue.gif

I stated my opinion & YOU jumped on ME!

for PETE'S sake, I was just suggesting what I do & my reasons for it - who's dismissing who's opinion & jumping to conclusions?

Where you are cutting them BaZ, I have no problem with as you are essencially doing the same as me (aclimitisation wise), except you choose to not reuse the bag, wereas I do.

I have seen more than one person get fish home & just slice the bottom of the bag open & dump the fish in with no aclimatisation whatsoever, then complain about having to buy another bag 10 min later. dry.gif

I do not ship fish interstate so deflation is a non-issue for me - the fish are only bagged for maybe an hr to get to whoever I've given them to's house or to the LFS. I agree if they are being shipped then it is better to be safe than sorry & use a new bag.

I DID answer Timmy's question in the first place refering him to a LFS for some bags.

My cutting remark was relating to Teflon's question about people cutting bags (I did misinterpret the question) - the ignorant people I have described above are the inspiration for my reply.

I'm sure you'll find something to be offended about in this reply too dry.gif

Archived