NSWCS Meeting ?

ZULU

Hi Michael,

On behalf of the committee I apologise for the homepage and lack of update - internal glitches dry.gif

Tonight Roland (Rol & Jas) is showing us how to replicate his famous holey pots - masonry drill and all I think shock.gif and the lovely Jessica (Griffin) will enlighten us further on the mysteries of the scientific naming of our beloved cichlids - made easy for the layman smile.gif .

The usual suspects will be there in force smile.gif .

Lucky door prize, raffles, mini auction and a supper table - what more could you wish for on a Saturday night in lovely downtown Moorebank bigsmile.gif

Hope to see you there.

Cheers

Aline

Membership Officer

NSWCS

Great Meeting, I cannot wait to see the Blue Zaire Frontosas allowed into the country legally.

Some very cheap fish at the auction tonight (except bristlenose which remain very popular)

One gripe - to those who talk rather loudly all the way through the meeting - why not save it for the break or go outside. I find it quite disrespectful.

Other than that a great meeting.

Regards,

Michaek thumb.gif

cheap.....15 parrot cichlids sold for $9. I couldn't belive it! My only gripe about the auction is I would like to see lots passed in quicker if the reserve is not met rather than trying to persuade the crowd and the owner of the lot to go for cheaper. Just my opinion. A good night.

I agree the hardest thing I found at my first meeting was trying to listen to the guest speakers whilst the people around me were talking quite loudly. I found sitting closer to the front helps.

Ged

i agree with quicker pass in.

soon as theres no interest pass it in quickly and come back at the end of the auction for a second go.

I have the idea of having a RESERVE!!!! whats the point of having one if we keep going below and wasting time.

I say have a variance of $3-5 for cheaper fish and $10-20 for the more expensive fish.. If the fish got a price within that variance then let it go rather then asking the fish seller for his approval.

G'day All

I believe Rolands talk was wonderful! bigsmile.gif No really stop laughing.

I obtained the dvd that supposedly had his talk on it, and all can say is that you cannot legally purchase those acts being performed! (But let me know where you can wink2.gif )

In all honesty. The DVD exists and I especially liked the musical soiundtrack!

Well done and I look forward to the talk next month. thumbup.gif

its amusing to know that people are complaining about us taking too long to get reserve when all too frequently we sell at just under reserve. all george and I were doing last night was trying to get reasonably close to what the seller wanted. both of us know what the value of the fish going through and neither of us like to sell stuff stupidly cheap if there is a reserve. if someone puts a reasonable reserve on there, i feel its our job to try and get it for them. most of the reserves last night were EXTREMELY reasonable, some rediculously cheap to be honest. i cant remember seeing more than a couple of reserves last night that were unrealistic so people are learning to put sensible reserves when they do put one.

Hi Gav,

The committee members especially the auctioneers are doing a fantastic job.

I didn't goto this months meeting so I cannot comment on what has happened.

Regarding Reserve, there is no such thing as UNREALISTIC. If there is no demand for the fish then it should be cheap.

Simple solution is to do the following.

If you really want to sell your fish then put a SMALL reserve.

If you want the money then put your bare minimum reserve and if no one bids for them, pass it in straightway and at the end depending on demands give it another go.

Currently RESERVE is taken very lightly, too many sellers think having a high reserve will get them that extra dollar.

Every time I sell my stock, I put a small reserve, and guess what I get much much much better result smile.gif

PS I am merely suggesting to see if we can streamline the process of fish auction so that we can have more lots yet it taking less time smile.gif

PPS I mean no disrespect to any committee members

I reckon the monthly auction should be "no reserve". There are three major auctions a year (counting the Wollongong on which is 25th june this year).

As a committee member and a general club member, I find that a NR will almost always reach a higher figure than one with a reserve price smile.gif .

I bring my bags along each meeting with a selection of my fish, and other than catfish all my bags are labelled NR. Any money that I am lucky to make on my fish, I make external to the auction smile.gif the bags in the auction are a bonus.

You may want to call it payment for the four and a half days I set aside to work for the club on the committee each month LOL.gifwoot.gifLOL.gif

Cheers

Aline

I think all is well the way it is run.

How about any of you people with ideas of changing things joining the committeee and helping out.

As for auctioning passed in lots at the end well that will make the night drag out even further.

P.S. I rarely put reserve on my fish. I take them there to sell. I don't want to bring them home. If you want a perticular price advertise in the forums or trading post.

I think that no one really has the right to complain about a free night out with so much info to learn from and people to share it with. The auction is a bonus.

I wan't there on Saturday but I know Gav and George do a fantastic job Auctioning they get money out of people and reasonable quickly. I agree with Aline we (the canberra crew) are just selling fish to help pay for the petrol and maybe dinner as we love the road trip. We generally put NR on any fish that are sold and we more often than not get close to mark anyhow, it is the luck of the draw.

cheers

Rosco

I like what Mike did at the major auction. He put reserve's on most (maybe all?) of his lots, and despite it being a bust for alot of sellers (some good fish went way too cheap) he stuck to them.

He was prepared to go collect unsold lots immediately, not leave them there at the end when they realise there are some turned in lots with no homes to go to.

I think the rule should be made simple - a reserve is stringently stuck to. I don't care if the reserve is realistic or ridiculous. If the seller is nodding to allow you to accept $1 under reserve, then he/she hasn't used the reserve properly IMHO.

I mean, it took a good few minutes to get the first bag of electric blues out, and to get those last 2 bids to reach reserve. No offence Gav, I know your doing your best by alot of people who want different things, but if stricter controls were placed on reserve prices, the auction would instantly be 10% shorter IMO.

(based on what I saw before I left and on previous months)

It was cool hearing about the new imports, I had a good chuckle with Ducksta about the different frontosa variants that will be available (how many ways can you say "black and white stripes, blue fins") tongue.gif

I didnt stick around for the auction, simply because sitting there until 11pm when I dont plan to buy any fish seems a little pointless, however to those people who think lots should be passed in quicker; would you be so quick to have the lost passed in if it were yours? I doubt it, you'd want those auctioneers doing their best to get your reserve.

I think Ducky has hit the nail on the head. If you're a seller and you insist on having a reserve on your lots, you should be held to that reserve. It seems pointless to put a reserve of $30 on a lot if you are happy to accept $20. I'm no auctioneer or auction expert of any kind, but I always understood the reserve to be the lowest price you would accept as a seller dntknw.gif

If lots started getting passed in as soon as they did not reach reserve, more sellers might be encouraged to put accurate reserves on their lots.

I hate to hear people talking about the meeting dragging on - When I can get there as it is only once a month I don't care if it goes to 3am if I'm enjoying it I'll stay on and if not you can always go home.

I would like to see the fish auctioned by order of lot numbers as I feel higher prices come first. That way people would get there earlier and not hold up the start of the meeting,

I really believe our auctioneers do a great job - all credit to them.

Regards,

Michael

Michael I agree whole-heartedly - ask Gav, I bow at his feet all day at work *cough* not *cough* *cough*. The auctioneers are great, but we need sellers to help them out a little to make their volunteered time a little easier to bear IMO. If the seller had no option to sell below reserve at a pinch, then the reserves would quickly disappear or become a true reflection of the minimum seller is willing to accept. No other auctions I attend have a reserve working like the cichlid auctions, and sellers and buyers are just as happy at every auction I go to. I am suggesting something that IM would make the auctioneers job alot easier.

When a bag worth $100 can't get an opening bid of $50 and the auctioneers talk it up a bit, thats great, then people know what it is, and it keeps variety in the auction. But when auctioneers are constantly spending time chasing reserves only for the seller to say sell it at only 75 % of reserve, what is the point of a reserve?

As a member of the committee I am always amazed at how so many people have suggestions on how to" fix" the meetings on this forum.

No one ever makes a written suggestion to the committee and when general business is called the only thing people are interested in doing is getting up and getting out.

As suggested earlier, if you dont like the way the club is run remember to put your hand up for one of these high paying, time consuming committee jobs in August thumb.gif

Kevin

Why can't a thread here count here though Kevin? How many of the current committee wont see this being posted here? I wonder why this forum (despite having no 'official ties' with the NSWCS), as a resource and centre for public feedback, is ignored by the committee.

I would think that if the club committee wants to be stringent in only accepting suggestions via the 'official' channels, they might, by default, be equally stringent in enforcing reserve prices at auction?

Oh and ps. I am 100% sure that this issue of reserve prices has come up before 'officially' since I have been a member. As I say, I think the problem lies with sellers, not auctioneers or committees, but I think if committee and auctioneer held sellers to reserve in normal circumstances it would be a great step forward. Obviously dead fish in bags, fish looking seedy, scales flying, will be considered for an exception.

Archived