Off topic pics II

Willy Wombat

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They still look OK lepper. But yea, free image hosting sites generally compress the images pretty drastically to save them on bandwidth costs.

I wouldn't mind seeing the first one in its full glory ( johnducksburyAThotmail.com )

HEy, I just resize them with windows paint.

When i resize them they look fine on my pc, like i could email you the same size as i posted on this forum but they would look better..

• 2 weeks later...

Love the bird shots!!

I didnt want to say Kooka or kingfisher cause i cant tell which one it is blush.gif , can someone shed some light as to how to tell the difference? i know kookas are bigger but its hard to tell its actuall size in a pic.

Cheers, Alan.

polar bears at seaworld:

this one just kept pushimg itself backwards off the glass window and jetted itself underwater blowing bubbles out it's nose, kept on going and going......

user posted image

and this one ,,,, well..... CRUNCH!, glad i'm not the bottle!

user posted image

enjoy

adam

I didnt want to say Kooka or kingfisher cause i cant tell which one it is blush.gif , can someone shed some light as to how to tell the difference? i know kookas are bigger but its hard to tell its actuall size in a pic.

Yep, it's a Kooka.

The reason they're similar is Kooka's pretty much are a kingfisher.

Different genus, but very close.

Apart from the size, the colouring is pretty obvious. Kooka's are mostly brown and white, and the Australian kingfisher species are mostly blue and white, with a couple of buff and white species, and one species is yellow with greenish wings.

The exception is the Blue-winged Kookaburra, which is mostly blue, grey, and white, but they still have a brown wash over the head.

I'm actually probably confusing you more unsure.gif

Went on a trip to Mt. Tomah Botanical Gardens yesterday, so will sort out some critter and plant photo's and pop some up.

Still learning to use my camera in manual mode, so some pics came out pretty atrocious blush.giflaugh.gif

I discovered 10x zoom is still not enough for small birds laugh.gif time to save up for that telephoto dry.gif

Andy.

Thanks for the very kind words guys ! smile.gif

Yep, they were all taken with my new baby, a Canon Powershot S1 IS.

I am absolutely rapt with this camera.

Can't wait till i can afford a lens adaptor and start playing around with some filters, lenses, etc. woot.gif

Attempted some more shots today, but after slogging through waist height scratchy grassy stuff for 15 mins, and having several small brown things explode from it in front of you in a whirr of wings and fly into more thick cover, i discovered that taking photos of Quail in the wild is NOT easy. laugh.gif

I think i will resort back to chasing around the ones in my aviaries rolleyes.gif

(For those who don't know, i am totally obsessed with Quail) wub.gif

If i am rambling, which i strongly suspect i am, please forgive me, it's 3 AM laugh.gif

Andy.

Wow.. The pics deterioate alot when putting them onto the site..

If anyone wants better quality just post your email address.. ohmy.gif

hey lepper, when i saved then put it on my desktop (hope you don't mind!!) it looked a lot sharper than on the forum.

absolutely awesome shots man!

Archived