Measurements for SAFE

Kazaf

Hi Kazaf

I can't see why you'd want to keep it as a liquid but if you do, try e-mailing Seachem directly. They usually answer within a day and you'll be getting accurate information not people's opinions.

On top of that you'd have to find out the liquid measure for when you want to do a water change.

I'd say you're better off using the measurements they have for dry form:

SAFE Instructions

HTH

Cheers

Paul

hay dude

1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) of new water.

1 measure to each 40 L (10 gallons*) of tap water.

so that makes it 1ml = 1g to remove Chloramine

so that 1 kg to 1 L

is my maths right guys

cheers minh

hay dude

1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) of new water.

1 measure to each 40 L (10 gallons*) of tap water.

so that makes it 1ml = 1g to remove Chloramine

so that 1 kg to 1 L

is my maths right guys

cheers minh

it's too late in the night for me to even look at the maths properly, but i really really doubt it would be 1kg to 1L of water.

that would be a totally saturated solution, and i doubt 1L of water would even be able to wet 1kg of powder, let alone put it into solution.

i'm guessing this is a typo.

Grace

1kg of SAFE + 1L water = 2Kg of SAFE paste LOL.gif

In reality any amount of safe and water would make it a liquid but what I think Kazaf is trying to get at is a reasonable amount to combine and store as a solution.

As I said in my previous post, contacting Seachem directly would be your best bet.

Even if they give you the directions to make a storable solution you have two options after that.

1. Use your maths skills to work out the amount required to apply to tap water.

2. Be lazy and get Seachem to also give you the directions required to apply to tap water otherwise the requested information is useless.

You're right it is getting kinda late sleep1.gif

Cheers

Paul

I would also like to convert the safe to a liquid form simply because in a liquid it is easier to dose accurately. I know its not imperative to dose it accurately but using the measure is just too imprecise for pedantic ol' me tongue.gif

Do you use a heaped/flat measure? And have you guys seen the wierd shape of the measuring spoon lol...

I know its not that important, but I too would like to get it to the same concentration as prime - maybe because I'm so used to using prime, and i have 1ml pippettes to measure out concentrations for my very small tanks...

I will try to email Seachem about it smile.gif

Cheers

Vincent

gigitt is right on the measure, wiz fiz is the place to get a measure.

one measure is meant to do 40L

so if you get one measure and add it to 10 mL then you have 10ml that will do 40 litres. in 10ml you have 100 drops (from memory 10 drops to the mL). that means 1mL or 10 drops does 4 litres. 1 drop will do 400 mL. just make sure you add a level measure to 10ml and it all should work as above.

it does say though on the website not to overdose.... here is a copy of what they say

• Chlorine: use 1 measure to each 80 L (20 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).

• Chloramine: use 1 measure to each 40 L (10 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm).

• Ammonia: use 1 measure to each 16 L (4 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm). Do not overdose!

oops, just remembered. the above works for removing chloramine. its 1 measure to 16L for nitrite and ammonia. that means one measure in 10mL water will treat 16L. 1mL of that mixture for 1.6L (about what you put in a bag).

• Chlorine: use 1 measure to each 80 L (20 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).

• Chloramine: use 1 measure to each 40 L (10 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm).

• Ammonia: use 1 measure to each 16 L (4 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm). Do not overdose!

We all know the benefits of using an ager which treats Chlorine Chloramine AND Ammonia, and this is where the above instructions confuse me. The same instructions are on my contaner of safe here, and perhaps this is why I never use it....

From memory, Chloramine is broken down by agers, but the end result in this process is Ammonia right? Hence our obsession with an ager which removes ammonia too.

So does that mean we should be following the instructions to remove ammonia (1 measure to 16L)? I am under the assumption that doing this will remove all 3. Am I right or wrong?

I believe that the 1 measure to 16L is just for nitrite/ammonia removal, more along the lines of fish in bags and new tank problems.

if I was lucky enough to be somewhere that had no chloramine in the water then I would use 1 measure for 80L.

so I think you just need to use 1 measure for 40L in all water changes as it seems to take out the chlorine as well as chloramine (ammonia component included).

dry.gif

How much is one measure? I know someone said its the same as the whiz-fiz spoon, but what is that?

Josh

Josh,

Its a little plastic spoon. in the smaller quantities of safe you get one. well I assume only the smaller, I never saw one in either of the two drums, but I didn't exactly look for it laugh.gif. anyway they are exactly the same as the spoons you get in wiz fiz. that is sherbert sold at most woolworths in the area they sell lollies. so looks like you need to buy a pack to get the measure thumb.gif

so if you get one measure and add it to 10 mL then you have 10ml that will do 40 litres.

Ok, so 10ml of water with 1 measure of SAFE?

so that'll be 10ml of PRIME?

2 measure in 20ml of water = 20ml PRIME.. and so on..

??

This is theinfo I got from Seachem:

Lets do the math here.

10 grams Safe treats 1000 Gallons of water

100 ml of prime treats 1000 Gallons of water

Therefore you would add 10 grams of safe to a 100 ml bottle and top off with water.

If you wanted to make all your safe into Prime:

250 grams treats 25,000

2500 ml prime treats 25,000

Therefore you would add 250 grams safe to 2500 ml container and top of with water.

2500 ml is 2.5 liters.

I would recommend shaking the solution prior to each use.

Best Regards,

Seachem Tech Support~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seachem Laboratories, Inc. www.seachem.com 888-SEACHEM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ch

However they got it wrong i think 10g treats 400 gallons not 1000 gallons, therefore using a similar way of calculating you would put 250g safe in a 1000ml container and top it up with water to get 1 litre of Prime.

HTH

Vincent

Would distilled water be best to dilute safe into a solution or is there anything wrong with tap water?

Neil

I emailed Seachem again and this is their next reply:

Me: Hi thanks for the reply, but doesn't 10gms of Safe treat 400 gallons not 1000 gallons?

That is the dosage for removing Chlorine. If you have Chloramines then you'll want to cut the water added in half. And if your dosing just for ammonia then cut the amount of water by 5.

Best Regards,

Seachem Tech Support~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seachem Laboratories, Inc. www.seachem.com 888-SEACHEM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ch

From Seachem SAFE page:

• Chlorine: use 1 measure to each 80 L (20 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).

• Chloramine: use 1 measure to each 40 L (10 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm).

• Ammonia: use 1 measure to each 16 L (4 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm). Do not overdose!

To detoxify nitrite/nitrate in an emergency situation use up to 5 measures to each 40 L (10 gallons*). Use fish to gauge toxicity reduction as test kits will still show presence of nitrite/nitrate even when detoxified. May be added to aquarium directly, but is better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) cut dosing in half.

From Seachem FAQ:

Q: Can I mix Seachem Safe with water and store the solution to use later on. So instead of using the dry powder, I can use it pre-dissolved.

A: This is completely acceptable to do. We use the same salts that make up Safe to make Prime. In essence, Prime is a liquid version of Safe. If you stored this solution, it would last indefinitely but may require periodic shaking. The measure spoon included in the product is equal to 1/10th of a teaspoon.

So therefore it depend on what you are going to use Your Prime Mixture for, for the correct mix/dosage amount!

1 Seachem Measure = 1/10 teaspoon

1 teaspoon = 5 ml (liquid) = 4.6 grams (powder) = 10 Sechem Measures (depending on what site you search - Googling)

so... your SAFE should be used as follows:

Presume a Standard dose of SAFE:

• Chlorine: use 1 measure to each 80 L (20 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).

A 2x Standard dose of SAFE:

• Chloramine: use 1 measure to each 40 L (10 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm).

A 5x Standard dose of SAFE:

• Ammonia: use 1 measure to each 16 L (4 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm). Do not overdose!

So now... now you have to figure out how to mix a Standard Dose of SAFE to make a Home Brew Prime!

I have a small bottle of Prime at home - I'll have to check but i think that it is 50ml and cost $8.95 ... so Thanks Gav for the the SAFE Bullk buy of 1kg @ $55.00

I'll be mixing up my Home Brew Prime and using this bottle for dosing. so then I can just use the standard instructions... now I just have to figure out SAFE/water mix to do so that my brew is eqaul to the bottle instructions!

Archived