Water changes

fishly

Hi all,

Just to confirm if I am doing right or wrong. When doing partial water changes, I fill tap water in a bucket, then add the water conditioner and stir the water using the water pump for 2 hours. After that is it safe to add them into the tank? or I have to wait until 7 days?

Regards,

Tony

Guest big bad burundi

The one thing de-chlorinators do affect is the Ph value of your water.Here in Adelaide we are being told lately to use 2-3 times recomended dose,this is fluctuating Ph values big time. :rolleyes:

The de-chlorination creates hydrochloric acid when burning off the chlorine hence lowering Ph values which do sort themselves out with a little time.[From my experience anyways]

Thanks YeW. Great :^: so I don't have to wait that long. So I don't have to add anything right except the water conditioner? I assume the sera aquatan that I am using have de-chlorinator as it says "... binds heavy metals"

Thanks for your reply big bad burundi :D, I do agree with you. It happened to me before, the PH in my 3ft tank drops to 5.5 after so many times I did partial water changes without measuring the PH of the water :oops:, so I added the bicarbonate to increase the KH and PH :D. By the way does anyone know what is the recommended dose for Sydney water :8?

hungsta,

why waste money not doing it? chances are eventually you will do your change just when sydney water decides to hit the water supply with an extra hit of chemicals to "clear things out". they do it about every three months. even ager isnt enough for this stuff, I use "safe" to make sure. you can and WILL lose fish if you don't treat your water properly, its just a numbers game as for when it will happen. my mum lost the entire contents of a 6x2x2 recently due to a water change WITH ager. it was just one of those times they did a hit, and she decided to do a 40% change cos she hadnt done one in a while. ammonium and nitrite spikes were the result and over $2000 worth of fish died in two days while nobody was home.

use ager as a minimum, or preferably something like prime or safe. it may cost more short term, but its less crippling than an empty tank :)

Thanks YeW. Great :^: so I don't have to wait that long. So I don't have to add anything right except the water conditioner? I assume the sera aquatan that I am using have de-chlorinator as it says "... binds heavy metals"

Thanks for your reply big bad burundi :D, I do agree with you. It happened to me before, the PH in my 3ft tank drops to 5.5 after so many times I did partial water changes without measuring the PH of the water :oops:, so I added the bicarbonate to increase the KH and PH :D. By the way does anyone know what is the recommended dose for Sydney water :)?

Personally I just dump Prime into the tank (at just above the recommended level), and just add tap water straight into the tank; can't be bothered hauling 100L of water around.

Disclaimer: I have a heavily planted tank that I need to add Potassium Nitrate to just to prevent the plants from yellowing, so the ammonia is appreciated, and I have never has a positive ammonia reading.

use ager as a minimum, or preferably something like prime or safe. it may cost more short term, but its less crippling than an empty tank :)

Hi kinerata, what are the differences between water ager, prime and safe? Which one is the best in terms of quality and price?

• 4 weeks later...

I age my water in two of those 200 litre blue drums with strong aeration and prime for 7 days before pumping into my tanks. This method works best for me.

I couldn't possibly use water straight from the tap. Surely this would stress the fish out and cause a slow death over time. Ever wondered why the uncle's gold fish die after a few weeks.

I add my water straight from the hose, treating the tanks with Prime or Safe at the same time.

If you are going straight from the hose it is important to remember that whatever dechlorinator you choose should be able to break down chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Both Prime and Safe do this, not sure of any other brands.

Another thing to remember is you need to treat the whole tank volume this way, not just the water being added to the tank.

Daniel, I've had a similar experience with safe, it doesn't seem to be any more economical to me, and I find prime easier to use.

Hi Daniel, Thanks for letting me know upon your research. By the way, after I read all replies, I bought Prime. I was amazed by it's concentration (5ml can treat 200lt of water). But, I decided to use 5ml for 20lt of water (10 times than normal dose).

Bit Racer, I wish I could do the same like the way you are doing. But I live in a limited space sad.gif

Baz, did you have any fish dead due to water condition? cause I think the way you are doing is a bit too risky. Correct me if I am wrong.

I was amazed by it's concentration (5ml can treat 200lt of water). But, I decided to use 5ml for 20lt of water (10 times than normal dose).

I was told not to do this; I was having problems with fish loss, I suspect due to high chloramine in the water supply, and was having problems stabilising things. I had been using Prime, and one LFS said an OD can deplete the water of oxygen (not sure how true, but fishes were dying daily), and suggested I use a less concentrated product (by Sera, Acutans I think) to reduce the risk of overdosing.

I suspect the fishes were stressed by the increased Chloramine, and the OD in Prime probably pushed them over... sad.gif

Baz, did you have any fish dead due to water condition? cause I think the way you are doing is a bit too risky

Never. I can only find 2 disadvantages with my system:

-I have to use a little more conditioner to treat water already in the tank, which means a slight cost increase but it's best to be safe than sorry hey?

-The water I use is obviously cold.

The first problem isn't a big one, as I feel the increased cost in conditioners is well worth it if I don't have to keep big barrells of water around the place, and the cold water just seems to promote spawning anyway tongue.gif

The system works for me, and always has. That doesn't mean it will work for everyone. I just prefer to keep my hobby as simple and fun as possible biggrin.gif

I agree with BaZ. I use the hose to fill my tanks. However, you have to run the hose for a few minutes first because the gases from the hose heating in the sun are dangerous; so flush it out first.

I've used a number of different water conditioners, ranging from very expensive to home made cheap and there doesn't seem to be a great difference IMO.

merjo

I basically do the same as Baz straight from the tap and i use Biotec ACN at the rate 2ml per 60L. Plus i also use Geo..

I double dose the ACN as Adelaide is shocking this time of year dry.gif

Refrase that to most times of the year tongue.gif

I did a few test in buckets and found now that we are useing chloromons here

that after useing Prime and Tristart there was a fair amount of ammonia present, after adding them but the ACN showed no ammonia after adding..

One of the reasons i made the change from prime cool.gif

I did a few test in buckets and found now that we are useing chloromons here

that after useing Prime and Tristart there was a fair amount of ammonia present, after adding them but the ACN showed no ammonia after adding..

Apparently this is dependent on the test kit you are using; Prime is suppose to bind the ammonia into a safe form, but most test kits will still show as Ammonia +ve.

That may be so but from what i can understand as i dont know much about chemistry unsure.gif

Tristart does not remove any trace of ammonia or convert ammonia to ammonium

when it converts the chloromon to ammonia (which im led to beleive the reaction causes??)

Prime does convert to ammonium i beleive, but ACN seems to leave no trace of either and i have had no problems useing it ..

As our water board has stated to me "The water is within our guide lines to be safe for consumption, but fish wont live in it"

Makes me wonder how safe the water actually is laugh.gif

I always find it funny that what is in our drinking water is dangerous to fish, and what we add to our fish water is dangerous to people wink.gif Maybe thats why we don't live under the sea tongue.gif

I add straight from the hose smile.gif With quality conditioning of course smile.gif I just never change alot of water at one time because of the temperature fluctuations.

Archived